Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2015, 08:27 PM

352 posts, read 549,012 times

Advertisements

I'm looking at a variety of cities as a possibility of raising a family. We've lived in cities all over the country, Portland, DC, Va Beach, Chicago. Currently in NoVA, but there are things we don't like about it and the DC area (incredibly pretentious, hyper expensive, uncreative/ conformist, unfriendly). I recently visited Philly for the first time and was really impressed. Of course it's got it's issues (areas of blight and high crime), but it really seems like a city on the rise. I also saw some absolutely gorgeous neighborhoods and suburbs.

It seems the people get mislabeled as unfriendly, but I think people are just really direct, I met some really great, genuine, friendly people while I was there.

I also saw a well dressed guy screaming at a guy in BMW because he almost pulled in front of him, the driver yelling back at him and looking like he was going to pull over so they could fight. When I was about to drive my car out of a parking lot downtown after the Mummer's Parade a group of (what seemed like) college students were crowding around and (obliviously) blocking the entrance. You could feel the tension and sure enough a full-on, drag down fight broke out, the crowd hooting and cheering them on. Afterward, I was trying to drive out and nobody would move. A couple of guys noticed and started yelling in my window "BE AGGRESSIVE! BE AGGRESSIVE! Just run them over!" and several of them start forcibly shoving people out of the way.

So, I'm not sure how representative this is of the population.. and I kind of think it's funny and entertaining, and some brutal honesty can be refreshing. I understand a certain kind of toughness and attitude is required for the city.

I'm wondering is this mainly a downtown Philly thing? Would you find alot of this kind of behavior in the burbs as well?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2015, 09:17 PM

9,321 posts, read 12,935,217 times
Since you seem to love generalizations, I'll go ahead and say yes, everyone in the greater Philadelphia Area is in-your-face and hyper-aggressive. It's no coincidence that 102.9 MGK, the DeBellaware Valley's premiere classic rock station has an afternoon segment called the attytude adjustent!

Old 10-23-2015, 04:58 AM

2,214 posts, read 5,071,352 times
I think some people in this region are like this, but most aren't.

It seems to me that when this type of behavior occurs in other regions (NY Metro, Boston, Northern Virginia), it's often described as "aggressive people trying to get ahead in a fast-moving, metropolitan area," but when it happens in the Philadelphia area, it's often described as the behavior of "low-class blue collar slobs with no manners."

The OP didn't say this, but it's how I often see it get explained on this blog.

Old 10-23-2015, 05:10 AM

2,013 posts, read 1,602,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPP1999 View Post

It seems to me that when this type of behavior occurs in other regions (NY Metro, Boston, Northern Virginia), it's often described as "aggressive people trying to get ahead in a fast-moving, metropolitan area," but when it happens in the Philadelphia area, it's often described as the behavior of "low-class blue collar slobs with no manners."

I agree. People don't seem to want to let go of the "brotherly shove" stereotype, even though Philly has been shaking that image off for a while now.

East coast folks move faster than elsewhere. That's just how it is. We need to get stuff done. But don't mistake that gruffness for meanness. You'll find a lot of folks that would give you the shirts off their backs in a second.

Oh, I want to add: I have found more people with manners around here than in more "conservative" areas of the state. People in Philly will hold the door for you. I've had men hold my chair for me when I'm sitting at dinner---not men I was with, just men who happen to pass by---and just general kindness that people seem to speak about when they talk about people with manners. Meanwhile, where I'm from upstate, people would rather let the door slam in your face than hold it open for you.

Old 10-23-2015, 09:23 AM

23,809 posts, read 34,501,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VASpaceMan View Post
I'm looking at a variety of cities as a possibility of raising a family. We've lived in cities all over the country, Portland, DC, Va Beach, Chicago. Currently in NoVA, but there are things we don't like about it and the DC area (incredibly pretentious, hyper expensive, uncreative/ conformist, unfriendly). I recently visited Philly for the first time and was really impressed. Of course it's got it's issues (areas of blight and high crime), but it really seems like a city on the rise. I also saw some absolutely gorgeous neighborhoods and suburbs.

It seems the people get mislabeled as unfriendly, but I think people are just really direct, I met some really great, genuine, friendly people while I was there.

I also saw a well dressed guy screaming at a guy in BMW because he almost pulled in front of him, the driver yelling back at him and looking like he was going to pull over so they could fight. When I was about to drive my car out of a parking lot downtown after the Mummer's Parade a group of (what seemed like) college students were crowding around and (obliviously) blocking the entrance. You could feel the tension and sure enough a full-on, drag down fight broke out, the crowd hooting and cheering them on. Afterward, I was trying to drive out and nobody would move. A couple of guys noticed and started yelling in my window "BE AGGRESSIVE! BE AGGRESSIVE! Just run them over!" and several of them start forcibly shoving people out of the way.

So, I'm not sure how representative this is of the population.. and I kind of think it's funny and entertaining, and some brutal honesty can be refreshing. I understand a certain kind of toughness and attitude is required for the city.

I'm wondering is this mainly a downtown Philly thing? Would you find alot of this kind of behavior in the burbs as well?
There's generally a lot of drinking connected with the Mummers Parade. Does that answer your question?

Old 10-23-2015, 09:35 AM

11,999 posts, read 12,872,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPP1999 View Post

Very true...

Old 10-23-2015, 09:39 AM

7,258 posts, read 10,521,900 times
Having lived in the DC area, I can definitely attest to the much greater genuineness and authenticity of Philadelphians compared to Washingtonians. It never ceases to amaze me how much more affable the social atmosphere is in Philly.

Yes, the aggressiveness can sometimes manifest itself as more confrontational, but this is absolutely reflects a very small subset of the population. In my experience, this type of "attytude" is still alive and well in New York and Boston, despite having a more "refined" image to some folks.

Old 10-23-2015, 10:31 AM

Location: NYC based - Used to Live in Philly - Transplant from Miami
2,307 posts, read 2,756,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
Having lived in the DC area, I can definitely attest to the much greater genuineness and authenticity of Philadelphians compared to Washingtonians. It never ceases to amaze me how much more affable the social atmosphere is in Philly.

Yes, the aggressiveness can sometimes manifest itself as more confrontational, but this is absolutely reflects a very small subset of the population. In my experience, this type of "attytude" is still alive and well in New York and Boston, despite having a more "refined" image to some folks.
I would agree.
Coming from Miami, I feel that people in Philadelphia and surroundings suburbs are docile and friendlier than people down there.
To the OP, you might have seen isolated cases here and there in Center City. It does not mean all of Philadelphians are like that.
True that I had never heard any homophobic, racial and mysgonistic slurs thrown around until I moved to PA and venture into outer burb area closer to boondocks. But it does not mean everybody here is like this.

Old 10-30-2015, 08:20 AM

4,244 posts, read 3,690,405 times
I've lived in DC and Chicago, as well as Philly. Philly is friendlier than DC, less friendly than Chicago.

Stay away from Eagles games, and you'll avoid a lot of the boorish behavior. (Philly is notorious for this at sporting events, although I haven't experienced it much n my day-to-day interactions in the burbs and in Center City. I've never been to a Mummers parade. As a non-Philly native, I have no interest, and really find it quite strange.)

Old 10-30-2015, 09:54 AM

9,352 posts, read 9,239,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagoliz View Post
I've lived in DC and Chicago, as well as Philly. Philly is friendlier than DC, less friendly than Chicago.

Stay away from Eagles games, and you'll avoid a lot of the boorish behavior. (Philly is notorious for this at sporting events, although I haven't experienced it much n my day-to-day interactions in the burbs and in Center City. I've never been to a Mummers parade. As a non-Philly native, I have no interest, and really find it quite strange.)
I am from the suburbs and have never understood the Mummers parade. Alot of suburbanites who did not move there from South Philly think it an odd tradition. Its essentially a drag parade if you ask me. I think its just an old school italian south philly tradition.

A majority of the whole "rough and ready" attitude originated from the South Philly crowd. I would still never generalize the entire city of metro based on that tiny population. The media is guilty of doing that all the time unfortunately.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia