U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2017, 06:29 AM

13,273 posts, read 7,277,975 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankInPhilly View Post
<insert "dogwhistling" emoji here>
Look up the definition of Demographics. It is NOT a synonym for race.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2017, 06:16 AM

638 posts, read 385,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
Compared to NYC/North Jersey, L.A. etc it isn't that bad. It seems people are at their worst coming home from work. I think many must hate their jobs, and just CAN'T WAIT to get home. Some of them drive, and act like maniacs. Life is too short to get upset on the road.
No it isn't as bad as NYC or most of NJ. But when you work two jobs - one from home later in the day - and have to make it home in enough time to start work via 95, one could seriously do without midday lane closures and roadwork through northeast. Late for work when you work from home. 95 in northeast is a huge pet peeve of mine. It seems like this construction will never be finished.

Old 08-22-2017, 12:00 PM

900 posts, read 1,052,842 times
For driving in the city, I try to stay later or leave earlier. That can help a lot. I feel like I get stuff done.

Old 08-24-2017, 01:59 PM

638 posts, read 385,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chessimprov View Post
For driving in the city, I try to stay later or leave earlier. That can help a lot. I feel like I get stuff done.
I begin my day very early. 95 begins to get congested as early as the 5:00 am hour. I was a few miles north of CC around 6:15 this morning and it was jammed. Granted it broke up pretty quickly and I arrived at my job in Collingdale on time, but they really need to step it up with fixing this road. I was on my way home around 1:00 and there were rubberneckers just north of the double decker bridge looking at the standstill across on the southbound side.

Old 08-24-2017, 05:47 PM

2,782 posts, read 1,465,656 times
People are real and nice, actually

Old 09-06-2017, 12:40 PM
Lou

189 posts, read 74,444 times
Like anywhere else, it depends somewhat on the section of the city you're in and, of course, the individual you're dealing with.

As a point of contrast, I was in Arizona a couple of years ago and saw how people exchanged warm greetings when walking by each other in a park. It isn't like that in Philly. People are attentive to holding doors for the person behind them and are quick to offer an "excuse me" if they get in somebody's space, but greeting every pedestrian you pass would be too much for the Philly mentality. If you're doing business in the city, the majority of times that you're on an elevator with strangers won't include conversation. But when the door opens, that stranger is a little more likely than not to gesture for you to exit first. So there's definitely some attention to courtesy, but it's not an overly inviting courtesy.

The one exception would be sports conversation. If you get on the elevator and ask, "did you see that tackle last night," it's all good.

Old 10-17-2018, 11:17 AM

50 posts, read 22,109 times
I have only been there once and almost every local I interacted with was very unfriendly to me. Like trying to start arguments with me out of nowhere. I was shocked at how hostile and aggressive they were.

Old 10-17-2018, 11:36 AM

22,693 posts, read 21,741,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sahd0w View Post
I have only been there once and almost every local I interacted with was very unfriendly to me. Like trying to start arguments with me out of nowhere. I was shocked at how hostile and aggressive they were.
They were probably from New Jersey.

Old 10-17-2018, 03:54 PM

271 posts, read 157,116 times
NYC has nothing on Philly rudeness, behind the hurried lifestyle in NYC people are generally friendly and you can strike up conversation with anyone, not so much here at all.

Old 10-17-2018, 04:18 PM

903 posts, read 514,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lpranger467 View Post
NYC has nothing on Philly rudeness, behind the hurried lifestyle in NYC people are generally friendly and you can strike up conversation with anyone, not so much here at all.
That's a good one...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or