U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2018, 09:00 PM

4,887 posts, read 12,190,289 times

Advertisements

I recently saw a tourist who stopped in the middle of Walnut Street asking a motorist for directions.The locals let him have it good. Horns went beserko and they cursed and called that guy every name in the book. One lady screamed GTFOut of the street you dumb hick.

He found it what its like.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2018, 07:49 AM

4,864 posts, read 4,504,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lpranger467 View Post
NYC has nothing on Philly rudeness, behind the hurried lifestyle in NYC people are generally friendly and you can strike up conversation with anyone, not so much here at all.
Been here almost 3 years and still waiting for that to happen....

Old 10-18-2018, 08:42 AM

317 posts, read 122,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrock View Post
I recently saw a tourist who stopped in the middle of Walnut Street asking a motorist for directions.The locals let him have it good. Horns went beserko and they cursed and called that guy every name in the book. One lady screamed GTFOut of the street you dumb hick.

This is a perfect example of what is perceived as rudeness elsewhere is accepted as normal here because, in Philly, the guy stopping traffic is the one being rude. It's just a local "code" I guess that you are expected to respect the time, space, and privacy of the people around you to a much greater degree than other places, and people are very quick to let you know when you are not. It's not really being rude, it's only other people perceiving it as rude when, in fact, they are the rude ones who do not understand and are not following local custom.

In terms of striking up a conversation with Philadelphians in a normal stress-free setting, I don't think Philly people are any different than people anywhere else.

Old 10-18-2018, 09:27 AM

271 posts, read 157,116 times
To me its common sense to have common courtesy. When we moved here 4 years ago and had out of state plates on our cars we got yelled at at least 4 times with "go back to f--king" Michigan. Again it should be common sense to me that outsiders may not know their way around and such. Also having lived in NYC for 3 years I will say its a very noticeable difference in being rude/unfriendly or just being in a hurry.

Old 10-18-2018, 09:33 AM

8,195 posts, read 4,395,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrock View Post

Why the heck would a tourist try to talk to a driver, I presume stopped at a traffic light, when there are, more than likely, plenty of pedestrians to ask directions?

It just sounds like a silly thing to do.

Old 10-18-2018, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpranger467 View Post
To me its common sense to have common courtesy. When we moved here 4 years ago and had out of state plates on our cars we got yelled at at least 4 times with "go back to f--king" Michigan. Again it should be common sense to me that outsiders may not know their way around and such. Also having lived in NYC for 3 years I will say its a very noticeable difference in being rude/unfriendly or just being in a hurry.
But stopping traffic in the middle of Walnut St because your a tourist is acceptable? That sounds like an entitlement/ ignorance factor to me...

I was walking down 32nd st in between 5th and 6th this morning on the way to work, and a person pulled over with their flashers on was getting honked at, and people yelled "get the f*** out of the way, and "move m***** F*****" at the driver, sounds no different then Philadelphia to me.

It is impossible to generalize how rude a city like Philadelphia or New York is, its impossible. You will have positive and negative encounters in each of them no matter where you are.

Old 10-18-2018, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
But stopping traffic in the middle of Walnut St because your a tourist is acceptable? That sounds like an entitlement/ ignorance factor to me...

I was walking down 32nd st in between 5th and 6th this morning on the way to work, and a person pulled over with their flashers on was getting honked at, and people yelled "get the f*** out of the way, and "move m***** F*****" at the driver, sounds no different then Philadelphia to me.

It is impossible to generalize how rude a city like Philadelphia or New York is, its impossible. You will have positive and negative encounters in each of them no matter where you are.
I love NY but tourists can be the worse part of going there nowadays for me. I don't say anything but too often I'm cringing at how slow they tend to be and how walking with a purpose should be de riguer while in the city. Do you notice it? Does it bother you?

Old 10-18-2018, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
I love NY but tourists can be the worse part of going there nowadays for me. I don't say anything but too often I'm cringing at how slow they tend to be and how walking with a purpose should be de riguer while in the city. Do you notice it? Does it bother you?
Yes I notice it, and its one of the few things I actually hate about the city. And I work in Herald Square (right near Macys) the epicenter of slow tourists. And it only gets worse once November hits.

Some of my favorites:

1. When a group stops in the middle of the sidewalk on 6th ave during rush hour to converse or look at a map. I will literally push right through them.

2. The person who looks down at their phone for the entire block without looking up (can be a local too).

3. When a group of tourists are walking in a horizontal line on the sidewalk and fail to move for people walking the other way.

4. And of course the pace, I am a fast walker and physically cannot walk that slow, my grandma walks faster.

To this day I do not know if its entitlement, lack of awareness or just stupidity on their part. Some are Southern Americans who might not know any better, but then other are entitled Europeans who for some reason feel they can do things like that in an extremely busy city.

When I travel to Europe I at least attempt to follow how people walk and where they walk, and I pull off to the side if I am confused or lost.

Old 10-18-2018, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
Yes I notice it, and its one of the few things I actually hate about the city. And I work in Herald Square (right near Macys) the epicenter of slow tourists. And it only gets worse once November hits.

Some of my favorites:

1. When a group stops in the middle of the sidewalk on 6th ave during rush hour to converse or look at a map. I will literally push right through them.

2. The person who looks down at their phone for the entire block without looking up (can be a local too).

3. When a group of tourists are walking in a horizontal line on the sidewalk and fail to move for people walking the other way.

4. And of course the pace, I am a fast walker and physically cannot walk that slow, my grandma walks faster.

To this day I do not know if its entitlement, lack of awareness or just stupidity on their part. Some are Southern Americans who might not know any better, but then other are entitled Europeans who for some reason feel they can do things like that in an extremely busy city.

When I travel to Europe I at least attempt to follow how people walk and where they walk, and I pull off to the side if I am confused or lost.
Yes, number 3 !!! and, absolutely, number 4!!!!

I laughed at the "grandma" remark. When I'm in NYC with my sister, who is 75(she has 7 grandchildren(the oldest is 27)), she does more eyerolling at slow af people than I do. She lived in NY, from ages 17-21, for college. She went to Hunter.

Old 10-18-2018, 02:52 PM

3,029 posts, read 989,944 times
Mainly because of the sports fans

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQ_ZM7BhPmU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RvXNjfXbUaQ
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or