Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2015, 12:40 PM

3 posts, read 4,048 times

Advertisements

I'm a young guy who just got offered a job in Bluebell, PA. I own a car (thank god) and was thinking of moving somewhere between Bluebell and downtown Philadelphia with good access (max 25min drive) to both places, and with a good mix of nightlife and safety.

I heard Bluebell is very boring so for a young guy, that's not in the cards for me. However, I also don't want to live in the city of Philadelphia because that stretches my commute significantly. thanks!!!

Last edited by toobusytoday; 12-09-2015 at 05:27 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2015, 01:31 PM

9,325 posts, read 12,993,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnybeegoody View Post
I'm a young guy who just got offered a job in bluebell, pa. i own a car (thank god). was thinking of moving somewhere between bluebell and downtown philadelphia with good access (max 25min drive) to both places, and with a good mix of nightlife and safety.

i heard bluebell is very boring so for a young guy, that's not in the cards for me. however, i also don't want to live in the city of philadelphia because that stretches my commute significantly. thanks!!!
Manayunk, which is within 25 minutes despite being in the city proper. Conshy is a somewhat distant second in terms of activity. The Main Line is significantly less convenient than both of these options.

Last edited by ElijahAstin; 12-09-2015 at 02:06 PM..

Old 12-09-2015, 01:36 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,885,293 times
Conhohocken - forgo the Philly Income tax and similar to Manyunk and 25 mins boh ways (well with no traffic on 76 anyway)

Old 12-09-2015, 01:37 PM

1,524 posts, read 1,181,221 times
Conshohocken is almost dead-on the halfway point between Blue Bell and Center City Philadelphia, and Conshy has a lot going for it for a young person.

Other areas that are good, but would increase your commute slightly to Blue Bell, are any towns along the Main Line (thinking Wayne and Ardmore moreso than some others). Added bonus there is being right on the main train line (hence the name) into the city, so easy access that way.

Old 12-10-2015, 05:19 AM

3,168 posts, read 5,524,065 times
Another vote for Conshy. It's on the Manayunk/Norristown line so you can take that into Center City as opposed to driving. Manayunk is also an option but then you'd have to pay the city wage tax since it's within city limits. I think Conshy is probably a better option.

Old 12-10-2015, 11:35 PM

5,587 posts, read 8,398,368 times
Ditto -- Conshohocken. Not far from Blue Bell at all, and you can hop right onto the Expressway to get into the city. And has some nightlife. And no city wage tax.

Old 02-18-2016, 03:13 PM

20 posts, read 16,883 times
Im in the same boat as the op. I thought i was transferring to center city so i started researching neighborhoods near cc that offer the same vibe but for less (university city, manayunk, no libs, fishtown, some others) but now ive discovered id be transferring to the office in blue bell. Im single, 25, female & want to be in a fun (safe) neighborhood within walking distance to shops, bars, restaurants, things to do etc. I dont want a long stressfull commute to work but it seems like if i want to live in the neighborhoods that match what im looking for a long commute in unavoidable.

Old 02-18-2016, 04:25 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,885,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AHravensfan736 View Post
Im in the same boat as the op. I thought i was transferring to center city so i started researching neighborhoods near cc that offer the same vibe but for less (university city, manayunk, no libs, fishtown, some others) but now ive discovered id be transferring to the office in blue bell. Im single, 25, female & want to be in a fun (safe) neighborhood within walking distance to shops, bars, restaurants, things to do etc. I dont want a long stressfull commute to work but it seems like if i want to live in the neighborhoods that match what im looking for a long commute in unavoidable.

IMHO its either Conshy (forgoes wage tax fro Philly) with a decent nightlife and commute and not to far (train even) to Philly or do the reverse commute and learn all the back roads for 76 backups and move to center city. Manayunk is an option but for me if Manayunk just do Conshy and forgo the tax

Old 02-18-2016, 04:45 PM

3,168 posts, read 5,524,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
IMHO its either Conshy (forgoes wage tax fro Philly) with a decent nightlife and commute and not to far (train even) to Philly or do the reverse commute and learn all the back roads for 76 backups and move to center city. Manayunk is an option but for me if Manayunk just do Conshy and forgo the tax
Yeah seriously, every suggestion in this thread was for Conshy, not sure what the point was posting for the exact same response

But yeah... Conshy. Shorter commute, no wage tax, train to CC.

Old 02-18-2016, 04:50 PM

2,214 posts, read 5,090,351 times
Ambler? More like 35-40 minutes by car (no traffic) to Center City but has train access to CC and is next door to BB.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia