U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2016, 11:20 AM

33 posts, read 39,379 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone! My fiancee and I are moving to the Philadelphia area in a couple months. We've both have been to many different neighborhoods there and he's lived in Bucks County whereas I basically lived in and around Center City for a year about 5 years ago.

We've fallen in love with Manayunk, but we're unsure of how 'rowdy' and college-y it really can get, as we've visited, but it's only been during the day many times. We're planning a trip to see how it is through the night there on weekends with the party crowd soon. We're just wondering how 'bad' it can get, if at all.

I'm 24, and he's 34, but he is more of a recent grad from about 5 years ago so he still has "20s interests". Our friends range from mid 20s to late 20s, my fiancee usually being the oldest, and me being the youngest lol.

We're the type of couple that loves to hike, loves being close to the city but prefers a small town downtown that we can walk to every day, we like going to the bar, but more so dive bars or pubs, love unique boutiques and shopping, need a dog-friendly town, and I'm personally hoping for even a small bit of a hippie/green/eco-friendly vibe, even if it's the slightest bit. We've heard how bad the parking gets as well, but thankfully, we only have one car between the two of us.

Also, how is the blue collar type work around that area? My dad would be moving with us, and he does material handler, production type work (he worked at BMW). Wondering if there are factory opportunities there rather than retail or restaurant work. I know Ikea is about 20 min away which might work for him as well.

And last but not least, I'm bad at geography... how close is Philadelphia to the Appalachian mountains? That you would be able to hike and go to a scenic overlook?

Any pros/cons you can think of would be really appreciated! Thanks so much for any info you can give us!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2016, 11:27 AM

57 posts, read 56,848 times
I think Manayunk sounds like a great option! You are really close to the Wissahickon for hiking, about 20 min from Center City, lots of bars/restaurants/shops within walking and dog friendly. I'd think it would be a better location than most for your dad as well but I don't know specifics of jobs. If he has a car it should not be an issue bc Manayunk is fairly central. There is another Ikea in S Philly in a complex with lots of big box stores. Also nearby Plymouth Meeting has lots of big box stores. KOP is another option to look.

Old 01-19-2016, 12:01 PM

3,168 posts, read 4,449,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emilyp61 View Post
Hey everyone! My fiancee and I are moving to the Philadelphia area in a couple months. We've both have been to many different neighborhoods there and he's lived in Bucks County whereas I basically lived in and around Center City for a year about 5 years ago.

We've fallen in love with Manayunk, but we're unsure of how 'rowdy' and college-y it really can get, as we've visited, but it's only been during the day many times. We're planning a trip to see how it is through the night there on weekends with the party crowd soon. We're just wondering how 'bad' it can get, if at all.

I'm 24, and he's 34, but he is more of a recent grad from about 5 years ago so he still has "20s interests". Our friends range from mid 20s to late 20s, my fiancee usually being the oldest, and me being the youngest lol.

We're the type of couple that loves to hike, loves being close to the city but prefers a small town downtown that we can walk to every day, we like going to the bar, but more so dive bars or pubs, love unique boutiques and shopping, need a dog-friendly town, and I'm personally hoping for even a small bit of a hippie/green/eco-friendly vibe, even if it's the slightest bit. We've heard how bad the parking gets as well, but thankfully, we only have one car between the two of us.

Also, how is the blue collar type work around that area? My dad would be moving with us, and he does material handler, production type work (he worked at BMW). Wondering if there are factory opportunities there rather than retail or restaurant work. I know Ikea is about 20 min away which might work for him as well.

And last but not least, I'm bad at geography... how close is Philadelphia to the Appalachian mountains? That you would be able to hike and go to a scenic overlook?

Any pros/cons you can think of would be really appreciated! Thanks so much for any info you can give us!
I'm a 31yr old female chick who has lived in Manayunk for 2 years now - moved down from the Syracuse area. I am NOT into the rowdy party scene at all but absolutely love Manayunk and have no intentions on leaving within the next few years. There are certain bars that cater to the younger rowdy crowd and I just don't go to those places, and I've never had a problem. I am 2 blocks from Main St and right next to the Manayunk train station. I *occasionally* hear the riffraff of people walking home in the wee hours, but it is by no means a constant bother or anything... and I'm a super light sleeper too, so that's saying something. The further up from Main St you live, the less chance of noise from Main St you'll get.

As a neighborhood in general, Yunkers are pretty friendly and looking out for each other. It's extremely safe, the kind of place where I'd be fine walking around at 3am by myself. There are quite a few awesome divey and pub type places. Lucky's Last Chance is my local watering hole, definitely stop in there while you're visiting if you are able to! Lots of boutique shops. And Manayunk is HUGELY dog friendly! There's a small dog park at Pretzel Park and almost all of the restaurants and shops allow dogs in al fresco dining or in their stores. When the weather is nice, they all even put out dog bowls. I have 3 dogs and love just strolling down Main St with them when it's nice out so they can say hi to all the other dogs that are out and about, lol. There's also the trail along the river that is wonderful too!

As for parking, if you do not have a dedicated spot and don't want to do street parking, I recommend getting a spot in a lot, such as the one managed by Parkway at Green/Main - that's where I park and it's $65 per month.

Let me know any other specific questions about Manayunk, I'd be glad to answer them!

Old 01-19-2016, 12:44 PM

6,014 posts, read 6,515,432 times
Quote:
Depends on what you mean by close… Appalachian Mountains Personal for me, I would say not close at all. Not close enough for me personally do do a day trip or anything like that. The Appalachians do run through part of PA. MAYBE someone else might go for a LONG day trip, up and back in one day. But like I said you'd be on the road, up and back, as long as you'd be there once you got there. And of course there are the Pocono Mountains, as well. Which are closer.

TOP 5 DAY HIKES NEAR PHILADELPHIA:
https://rootsrated.com/stories/top-5...r-philadelphia

Old 01-19-2016, 01:37 PM

8,195 posts, read 4,395,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKE8244 View Post
I think Manayunk sounds like a great option! You are really close to the Wissahickon for hiking, about 20 min from Center City, lots of bars/restaurants/shops within walking and dog friendly. I'd think it would be a better location than most for your dad as well but I don't know specifics of jobs. If he has a car it should not be an issue bc Manayunk is fairly central. There is another Ikea in S Philly in a complex with lots of big box stores. Also nearby Plymouth Meeting has lots of big box stores. KOP is another option to look.
For the OP. Wissahickon is in the city. It's part of Fairmount Park.

Old 01-19-2016, 02:42 PM

966 posts, read 941,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
Depends on what you mean by close… Appalachian Mountains Personal for me, I would say not close at all. Not close enough for me personally do do a day trip or anything like that. The Appalachians do run through part of PA. MAYBE someone else might go for a LONG day trip, up and back in one day. But like I said you'd be on the road, up and back, as long as you'd be there once you got there. And of course there are the Pocono Mountains, as well. Which are closer.

TOP 5 DAY HIKES NEAR PHILADELPHIA:
https://rootsrated.com/stories/top-5...r-philadelphia
If the catchment area for "close" expands to a couple of hours' drive each way, the Delaware Water Gap is worth the effort: https://www.google.com/search?q=view...oLArkQ_AUICCgC

On a daily basis, though, Philly and a lot of the East Coast seems claustrophobic (to me, at least, having spent time in cities abroad and in west/central US where views were pretty much taken for granted).

Old 01-19-2016, 02:45 PM

1,241 posts, read 1,723,583 times
Wissahickon Park, in the city, within walking distance of Manayunk, Roxborough, East Falls, Chestnut Hill, Mount Airy, and Germantown can be quite a relaxing hike, especially off season and off hours. Summer weekends can get a little obnoxious.

I'm not a geography buff, but I spent much of my childhood in Berks County, about a 90 minute drive away from Philadelphia (on occasion as quick as 70 minutes), and as far as I knew the mountains all around us were part of the Appalachian mountain range. The Appalachian Trail runs through Berks County, and it's also home to the Hawk Mountain Sanctuary. There are various smaller places to go too - unfortunately I never was really too exposed to any of it being from a NYC family who relocated there and was sort of put off by nature, ironically enough.

Then the Poconos are due north as well, also about an hour plus trip.

Old 01-19-2016, 04:14 PM

33 posts, read 39,379 times
Thanks for all the replies so far! Manayunk sounds like an awesome fit for us! In terms of "being close", I was hoping for less than 3 hours, and that definitely fits the bill. We're coming from Raleigh, NC and the closest access to mountains are Asheville, NC and it's about 4 and a half hours away. Originally we're from around the Poconos, in NEPA, but I was just looking for Appalachian mountain range access specifically.

Really awesome tip about paying for a parking spot @Becca8377! Hadn't thought of that yet. Seems like Manayunk is still a really good fit for people in their 30s as well who like to have a lot of things to do. I was nervous there might only be college bars with a overage of 'bros' in them. Not so into that. Happy to know there are dives and pubs to choose from!

I've been told about Wissahickon Park, but have yet to visit. It sounds great!

I totally forgot about the Delaware Water Gap! Awesome in itself, thanks for the reminder @FrankInPhilly.

Any input on how easy it is to make friends there? We aren't looking for friends that would only want to drink and that's it (nothing wrong with that), we're obviously into a lot of different things like I said before. Moving to Raleigh, it's very common for it to be hard to make friends around here and people really don't like to go do anything except work.

Old 01-19-2016, 06:59 PM

22,583 posts, read 11,763,332 times
Quote:

... And last but not least, I'm bad at geography... how close is Philadelphia to the Appalachian mountains? That you would be able to hike and go to a scenic overlook?
About the Appalachian Mountains ... you are actually in the "foothills" of the Appalachians when you're in the hilly regions of northern Bucks and Montgomery Counties, just 35 or so miles north of Philly.

Harrisburg, Reading, Allentown and Bethlehem are in PA's "piedmont." The closest point - I am guessing - to the actual Appalachian Trail to Philly is the trail head near the tiny village of Port Clinton, PA - about 20 miles west of Allentown and 15 miles north of Reading; in other words, about 82 miles from here.

Old 01-19-2016, 07:28 PM

3,168 posts, read 4,449,095 times
Quote:
Thanks for all the replies so far! Manayunk sounds like an awesome fit for us! In terms of "being close", I was hoping for less than 3 hours, and that definitely fits the bill. We're coming from Raleigh, NC and the closest access to mountains are Asheville, NC and it's about 4 and a half hours away. Originally we're from around the Poconos, in NEPA, but I was just looking for Appalachian mountain range access specifically.

Really awesome tip about paying for a parking spot @Becca8377! Hadn't thought of that yet. Seems like Manayunk is still a really good fit for people in their 30s as well who like to have a lot of things to do. I was nervous there might only be college bars with a overage of 'bros' in them. Not so into that. Happy to know there are dives and pubs to choose from!

I've been told about Wissahickon Park, but have yet to visit. It sounds great!

I totally forgot about the Delaware Water Gap! Awesome in itself, thanks for the reminder @FrankInPhilly.

Any input on how easy it is to make friends there? We aren't looking for friends that would only want to drink and that's it (nothing wrong with that), we're obviously into a lot of different things like I said before. Moving to Raleigh, it's very common for it to be hard to make friends around here and people really don't like to go do anything except work.
lol I can let you know which bars are the bro bars and it's pretty easy to stay out of that crowd Yunkers are generally VERY friendly! You can strike up a convo with just about anyone when you're out at one of the pubs. There is also the Manayunk Sport and Social group as well as several very active Meetup groups, and various other community events going on!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or