Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-27-2016, 04:36 PM

4 posts, read 7,546 times

Advertisements

Hello All -

Looking to move to a nice Western/NWestern suburb and am deciding between the Bryn Mawr / Villanova section of Lower Merion or Blue Bell.

Our price point is $1.3m - which goes a little further in Blue Bell. Also, the taxes are lower in BB versus Lower Merion. Any thoughts on comparing the two areas?

Just curious to hear a few opinions and I appreciate anyone taking the time to reply.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2016, 05:43 PM

4,927 posts, read 14,166,942 times
Both are great choices.

Pros for Bryn Mawr. Top notch public schools, close proximity to the city and other great small towns, sits on the Paoli Thorndale rail line, old world ivy league walkable charm, great older unique housing stock.

Pros for Blue Bell. Very good public schools, bit more room to breathe, newer area with newer amenities, housing stock very nice and modern at least by Philadephia region standards.

Old 01-27-2016, 06:30 PM

9,316 posts, read 12,920,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrock View Post
Both are great choices.

Pros for Bryn Mawr. Top notch public schools, close proximity to the city and other great small towns, sits on the Paoli Thorndale rail line, old world ivy league walkable charm, great older unique housing stock.

Pros for Blue Bell. Very good public schools, bit more room to breathe, newer area with newer amenities, housing stock very nice and modern at least by Philadephia region standards.
In sum, you're basically choosing between newer (and somewhat better-value) homes and older, more infrastructurally cohesive communities. Are you at the point where you're deciding between two houses, because in addition to LM and Blue Bell (Whitpain), there's Radnor, Tredyffrin, Easttown, etc. on the Main Line side and Whitemarsh, Upper Dublin, Lower Gwynedd, etc. in near/NW MontCo.

Old 01-28-2016, 09:25 AM

Thanks - some great advice; much appreciated.

T/E and Radnor are very nice, but a touch outside of our geographic circle of friends, family and work. Same goes for Lower Gwynedd and Upper Dublin. We are willing to spend up to 1.5mm and I don't see enough homes in Plymouth/Whitemarsh priced in this range to make me comfortable spending this amount there. My wife works in Blue Bell and I work in West Conshohocken, so you can see how we arrived at the decision of LM or Blue Bell.

I am sure we will be happy in either area, but we plan on staying in this home for many years, so I want be sure I get it right!

Old 01-28-2016, 09:33 AM

9,316 posts, read 12,920,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 76ersFan View Post

T/E and Radnor are very nice, but a touch outside of our geographic circle of friends, family and work. Same goes for Lower Gwynedd and Upper Dublin. We are willing to spend up to 1.5mm and I don't see enough homes in Plymouth/Whitemarsh priced in this range to make me comfortable spending this amount there. My wife works in Blue Bell and I work in West Conshohocken, so you can see how we arrived at the decision of LM or Blue Bell.

I am sure we will be happy in either area, but we plan on staying in this home for many years, so I want be sure I get it right!
Since it sounds like you're most concerned about the house, just pick whatever home/neighborhood aesthetic suits you more. Beyond that, based on the information you've given us, I don't think you can go "wrong."

Old 01-28-2016, 09:19 PM

1,763 posts, read 1,530,734 times
Have you checked out Wayne, it's close by and there's a lot of expensive homes.

BTW, I'm surprised you are willing to pay up to $1.5M but you are tax sensitive. I mean, what's a couple of more thousand dollars in taxes? Really. What is money?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76ersFan View Post

Old 01-29-2016, 11:15 PM

I am not overly tax sensitive, but I have found that Northside Bryn Mawr and Villanova homes in our price range have annual taxes in the neighborhood of $25 to 30k. Alternatively, the same price point in Blue Bell runs about 15k. Not a deal breaker, but a $10 - 15k additional annual cost is still a consideration.

Wayne sure has its devotees; it has been suggested to me more than any area. The town seems congested, but given all of the fanfare, I am compelled to give it a serious look.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Old 01-31-2016, 02:26 PM

130 posts, read 308,925 times
Check out Lower Gwynedd before ruling it out. I live in Blue Bell and take the train from Lower Gwynedd. It is closer than you may think. Five minute drive from my house.

I would say pick the neighborhood you like best and go from there. The same house you would pay 1.5 million for in Gladwyne will be less in Blue Bell.

Both Blue Bell and the main line towns have a lot to offer. Really comes down to which area you like better. I find many of the main line areas too congested for me. But I have friends who would never want to live anywhere else.

Old 02-01-2016, 09:06 PM

Thanks all.

We did some heavy canvassing this weekend, and the mainline is just too congested for me. It is clearly a great area, but I prefer Blue Bell which is not as densely populated. Hopefully, a decent house comes up for sale soon!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia