U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-07-2008, 07:46 AM

35 posts, read 75,768 times

Advertisements

Hi, this is my first post! We are considering a move from northern NJ (property taxes nearly $13,000 annually for a 3800 sq. ft. 15 year old colonial) to Bucks County when our youngest child goes off to college in a year and a half. DH works from home and needs to be within 1 hour of an airport.

Question: my research on real estate web sites shows property taxes in Bucks seem to be about half what we pay now; however, I have heard warnings that school taxes are separate and can be rather high in certain counties in PA. Can anyone give me any info on what kind of taxes I should be looking at in a county such as Bucks to help me compare to NJ property taxes? Thanks so much in advance!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2008, 05:47 PM

3,806 posts, read 5,631,400 times
School taxes are levied by district and are not the same county-wide.

Old 02-07-2008, 07:03 PM

1,446 posts, read 2,443,219 times
I think in general the property taxes will be less in PA than in NJ. FYI, the PA personal income tax at a flat rate of 3.07% will probably be less as well. In NJ, for higher wage-earners, the personal tax rate can get to be very high.

The best thing to do might be to check out some local websites. Realtor.com generally doesn't show taxes, but try prufoxroach.com, search for homes, and check out the taxes.

Old 02-08-2008, 08:00 AM

259 posts, read 555,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPP1999 View Post
I think in general the property taxes will be less in PA than in NJ. FYI, the PA personal income tax at a flat rate of 3.07% will probably be less as well. In NJ, for higher wage-earners, the personal tax rate can get to be very high.

The best thing to do might be to check out some local websites. Realtor.com generally doesn't show taxes, but try prufoxroach.com, search for homes, and check out the taxes.
But do those realtor sites include the school district taxes in the amount they show??

Old 02-08-2008, 08:27 AM

I do find tax info difficult to determine from most realtor sites. Are there any residents around the New Hope and Riegelsville districts who might be able to offer some specifics on school taxes? TIA.

Old 02-08-2008, 09:26 PM

28 posts, read 73,816 times
Taxes in Bucks County are usually going to be less than what you will find in NJ. The New Hope area taxes aren't extraordinarily high, however, it will depend on the size of the property (house and land). Because the size of the lots in New Hope are slightly larger than in some areas of Bucks County, the taxes might be a little more than you would expect. The one thing to remember when looking at homes, in some school districts, such as the New Hope Solebury School District, there may be a 1% earned income tax. But when you do get the amount of taxes on the property from the realtor, the amount should include the school taxes, but not the 1% earned income.

Hope this helps!

Robin

Old 02-09-2008, 09:24 AM

97 posts, read 389,867 times
kw.com

put in zip only

You'll get all houses in the zip.
click new search.
select either school district or town (and pick desired one) from the search drop-downs.
last year's tax is on the last line at the bottom.

Go to dogpile.com Put in township, town or community e.g., Solebury AND Tax or New Hope AND Tax. pick the municipalities page from the search results.

Good luck.

Old 02-09-2008, 11:55 PM

104 posts, read 293,914 times
Default School taxes in Bucks County

You can find what you're looking for on the bucks county website (The Official site of Bucks County Pennsylvania), search for millage. It shows what the tax rates are for each town, borough, or township. I live in Quakertown, but in Milford Township so in addition to the school taxes I also pay an earned income tax to the Township. I don't know about all school districts, but in Quakertown you can go to their district website and they show you how to calculate exactly what your total taxes will be. Hope this helps.

Old 02-10-2008, 06:59 AM

thank you so much for all the useful info!!! I will begin to do my homework! I was not aware of these different sites for tax info. Again, thanks!

Old 10-12-2010, 12:04 PM

1 posts, read 5,344 times
Go on [url=http://www.buckscounty.org]The Official site of Bucks County Pennsylvania[/url] and you will find a page that lists the tax rates in Bucks County. Seems that the least expensive are in New Hope Boro or Warminster.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia