Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you support the St?
Yes 20 57.14%
Maybe 4 11.43%
No 11 31.43%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2016, 08:35 AM

32,084 posts, read 34,672,030 times

Advertisements

Temple has a historically terrible and insignificant football program. Why would they feel compelled to spend any money on a stadium?

Temple is the type of program that real programs like Alabama and Florida State schedule so they can test their reserves out and post 69 points in the process.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2016, 08:39 AM

7,736 posts, read 5,508,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
The Men's Crew never got cut. We changed conference's to one where they actually have top 25 baseball teams too. We were going to get killed in those sports like ECU does in basketball. Flying everyone all over the country would have been extremely expensive. Temple now have 15 or something D-1 sports, which is in line with the rest of the conference.

Still I understand the sentiment.

Old 02-09-2016, 09:27 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,747,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Temple has a historically terrible and insignificant football program. Why would they feel compelled to spend any money on a stadium?

Temple is the type of program that real programs like Alabama and Florida State schedule so they can test their reserves out and post 69 points in the process.
The trustees must be betting that that history is on the cusp of changing.

Old 02-09-2016, 10:04 AM

5,728 posts, read 3,248,892 times
yeah I had this argument with a co-worker little over 20 years ago even before all the progress started.
I was a student at the time too and this co-worker blatantly told me that Temple was trying to push out all the black people. Had to remind her that Temple was there long before North Philly became black and a ghetto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennsport View Post
This is what all progress in Philly boils down to and the Temple stadium debate is no different:

Do you let a handful of longtime neighbors (who for the most part an unemployed and soaking up public subsidizes) determine the fate of a world class city simply because they don't want to move or pay more than $100 a year in taxes? Thankfully, the wind of progress is impossible to fight for long, and, in my opinion at any rate, there is a gale blowing through Philly.

If the stadium doesn't get built at this moment, it's only a matter of time before it will be revisited and approved...

Old 02-09-2016, 11:46 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,923,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post
The Men's Crew never got cut. We changed conference's to one where they actually have top 25 baseball teams too. We were going to get killed in those sports like ECU does in basketball. Flying everyone all over the country would have been extremely expensive. Temple now have 15 or something D-1 sports, which is in line with the rest of the conference.

Still I understand the sentiment.
True-I just took it personally with the Mens Track and Field being cut LOL. Track seems like it would be among the cheaper sport programs to run, but what do I know.

Old 02-09-2016, 01:22 PM

712 posts, read 700,929 times
Quote:
True-I just took it personally with the Mens Track and Field being cut LOL. Track seems like it would be among the cheaper sport programs to run, but what do I know.
Men's T&F was cut to keep Temple Title IX compliant. Women's T&F is still sponsored and 4 of the five sports cut were men's sports. Baseball and softball offered equal number of scholarships so there was no effect on Title IX. But dropping any other women's sports would have caused Title IX compliance issues so they focused on low scholarship equivalency men's sports for the other cuts.

Old 02-10-2016, 08:46 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,923,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BR Valentine View Post
Men's T&F was cut to keep Temple Title IX compliant. Women's T&F is still sponsored and 4 of the five sports cut were men's sports. Baseball and softball offered equal number of scholarships so there was no effect on Title IX. But dropping any other women's sports would have caused Title IX compliance issues so they focused on low scholarship equivalency men's sports for the other cuts.
Thanks-it's interesting that Title IX has made it so most Colleges actually have more female sports than male, even though the intent was equality.

Old 02-10-2016, 08:52 AM

2,501 posts, read 4,431,538 times
Quote:
Thanks-it's interesting that Title IX has made it so most Colleges actually have more female sports than male, even though the intent was equality.
The result is still equality. The problem is that there's no equivalent women's sport to football, which gives out approximately 85 scholarships. Football unbalances the scales.

Old 02-10-2016, 08:55 AM

712 posts, read 700,929 times
Quote:
The issue is the number of scholarships offered not the number of sports. Football with its 85 men's scholarships creates a huge imbalance since there isn't one women's sport that offers anywhere near the number of scholarships as football.

Apparently Jackson Panther provided the answer while I was typing.

Old 02-10-2016, 09:29 PM

2,471 posts, read 4,015,708 times
No way. For one simple reason. Lincoln Financial Field was built with public money in part due to the fact that Temple would play there. The Eagles need to step up and offer Temple a much better deal. No need to spend 100 million dollars to build a stadium when a perfectly good one is right down the bsl.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia