Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you support the St?
Yes 20 57.14%
Maybe 4 11.43%
No 11 31.43%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2016, 07:23 AM

712 posts, read 701,585 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillies2011 View Post
No way. For one simple reason. Lincoln Financial Field was built with public money in part due to the fact that Temple would play there. The Eagles need to step up and offer Temple a much better deal. No need to spend 100 million dollars to build a stadium when a perfectly good one is right down the bsl.
No, the Eagles don't have to "step up" and they've made it crystal clear that they aren't going to. Did you miss Kenney's attempt to publicly shame the Eagles into giving Temple a better deal? Did you also not notice the Eagles told the mayor to pound sand. Neither the city or state have any leverage to dictate the terms of Temple's lease, a fact that is not lost on the Eagles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2016, 08:15 AM

4 posts, read 4,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennsport View Post
This is what all progress in Philly boils down to and the Temple stadium debate is no different:

Do you let a handful of longtime neighbors (who for the most part an unemployed and soaking up public subsidizes) determine the fate of a world class city simply because they don't want to move or pay more than $100 a year in taxes? Thankfully, the wind of progress is impossible to fight for long, and, in my opinion at any rate, there is a gale blowing through Philly.

If the stadium doesn't get built at this moment, it's only a matter of time before it will be revisited and approved...
Their employment status is relevant....how?

Anyway, if they figure out parking and consider making it an indoors stadium, then I'm all for it.

Old 02-12-2016, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FKD19124 View Post
yeah I had this argument with a co-worker little over 20 years ago even before all the progress started.
I was a student at the time too and this co-worker blatantly told me that Temple was trying to push out all the black people. Had to remind her that Temple was there long before North Philly became black and a ghetto.
Poor blacks being pushed out of the Temple area has nothing to do with how long Temple's been in the community.

Old 02-12-2016, 12:33 PM

7,737 posts, read 5,518,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by live331 View Post
Poor blacks being pushed out of the Temple area has nothing to do with how long Temple's been in the community.
Just an FYI, the stadium is not going to raise home values. The blocks around the proposed stadium are almost exclusively student housing and George Washington Carver High School.

The closest block with city residents would be in the northwest corner

Do I need to remind people what that corner was in the news for a few years ago.

and to try to use the excuse "this is our neighborhood, not yours" opens you up to the debate of who actually should control the surrounding neighborhoods. This whole conversion is ludicrous considering we are talking about Temple building on their own land with their own money.

Old 02-13-2016, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post
Just an FYI, the stadium is not going to raise home values. The blocks around the proposed stadium are almost exclusively student housing and George Washington Carver High School.

The closest block with city residents would be in the northwest corner

Do I need to remind people what that corner was in the news for a few years ago.

and to try to use the excuse "this is our neighborhood, not yours" opens you up to the debate of who actually should control the surrounding neighborhoods. This whole conversion is ludicrous considering we are talking about Temple building on their own land with their own money.
I'm well aware that stadiums don't raise property values. I wish someone would tell the student protesters that.

I'm also aware that most of the housing around the proposed stadium is student housing. This isn't to say, however, that there are some neighborhood residents who live amongst the students close to the proposed stadium. I think if the stadium were to be indoors, and if the entrance to the stadium were located on Broad Street, that would take care of most of the community's concerns. After all, the playground at 16th and Montgomery will be untouched, which was a huge source of contention for the community.

Old 02-14-2016, 10:28 PM

218 posts, read 342,585 times
I'd say this would be real bad for North Philadelphia residents/natives.. Then again, most of yall and people not orginally from low-income areas, would probably think everybody in North Philly is criminals, which is not true at all, there's alot of good people and hard working families there too...... Why cant Temple just continue to use Eagles stadium?? Its no big deal.

Old 02-15-2016, 07:35 AM

1,213 posts, read 955,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by live331 View Post
Their employment status is relevant....how?

Anyway, if they figure out parking and consider making it an indoors stadium, then I'm all for it.
Their employment status is relevant because one should not be able to be a massive monetary hindrance to society (and demand society support them), offering nothing to actually better society, and yet feel entitled to halt progress that much of society supports. This is especially true if the project in question is privately-funded and taking place on private property. The fact that this element is enabled to impact private development simply because they dislike change and don't want their subsidized rent and non-existent property taxes to increase is simply outrageous.

NOTE: Yes, of course I fully realize this is a broad-brush stroke that does not apply to everyone living in these neighborhoods. However, it is also no secret that public assistance is abundantly prevalent in this section of North Philadelphia. The stats are easily found via google search.

Old 02-15-2016, 07:45 AM

7,737 posts, read 5,518,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillydominican View Post
I'd say this would be real bad for North Philadelphia residents/natives.. Then again, most of yall and people not orginally from low-income areas, would probably think everybody in North Philly is criminals, which is not true at all, there's alot of good people and hard working families there too......
wait.. why is it bad? Outisde the normal concerns of parking/noise/traffic, what is so bad? (nobody has seen the renderings or artist renditions to even complain yet). A lot of people in North Philly root for Temple given that a large majority of the players come from the city.

https://twitter.com/kylegauss/status/695024250105774080

These people all seemed pretty excited when Karamo Dioubate announced he was staying home to play at Temple last week.

Quote:
Why cant Temple just continue to use Eagles stadium?? Its no big deal.
While the Linc is awesome, this has been covered in many other posts. The reason is money.

Old 02-15-2016, 10:05 AM

2,471 posts, read 4,018,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennsport View Post
Their employment status is relevant because one should not be able to be a massive monetary hindrance to society (and demand society support them), offering nothing to actually better society, and yet feel entitled to halt progress that much of society supports. This is especially true if the project in question is privately-funded and taking place on private property. The fact that this element is enabled to impact private development simply because they dislike change and don't want their subsidized rent and non-existent property taxes to increase is simply outrageous.

NOTE: Yes, of course I fully realize this is a broad-brush stroke that does not apply to everyone living in these neighborhoods. However, it is also no secret that public assistance is abundantly prevalent in this section of North Philadelphia. The stats are easily found via google search.
Your post seems to posit that the only way to contribute to society is monetarily. I'd argue that based on the content of your post and your views that you're human garbage and punting you off into space would be great for society.

Old 02-15-2016, 10:18 AM

218 posts, read 342,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post
wait.. why is it bad? Outisde the normal concerns of parking/noise/traffic, what is so bad? (nobody has seen the renderings or artist renditions to even complain yet). A lot of people in North Philly root for Temple given that a large majority of the players come from the city.

https://twitter.com/kylegauss/status/695024250105774080

These people all seemed pretty excited when Karamo Dioubate announced he was staying home to play at Temple last week.

While the Linc is awesome, this has been covered in many other posts. The reason is money.
Its bad because it would make gentrification in North Philly happen much faster. Gentrification is both good and bad, however more bad, it makes a area more desirable, but by doing so, it would likely displace a large portion of the hardworking black and hispanic families that give the area its character, grittyness, and uniqueness.

Yea im sure, alot of North Philadelphians root for Temple, but im also sure most wouldnt want to be pushed out their homes and neighborhoods. There's already tension and resentment right now, imagine if they start building a stadium in the middle of North Philly, that would speed up the gentrification and increase the tension.

I think Temple should just stick to playing in Eagles stadium, its not a big deal, they still play their games and NP residents keep their homes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia