Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2016, 02:28 PM

9,764 posts, read 15,705,464 times

Advertisements

We were in Boston last summer with the kids and of course we did the Freedom Trail. I love that the trail makes it so easy to see the sites of Boston without having to know your way around the city. I kept saying to my husband, "Why doesn't Philadelphia do something like this? (Philly is my hometown!) It would make it so easy to get around." Do you think something like the "Red, White, and Blue Path" linking the major historic sites in Phila. would be a hit with tourists? Comments? Criticisms? Be kind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2016, 03:02 PM

7,731 posts, read 5,455,547 times
You might be 13 years late to commercializing the idea: Tour Map | The Constitutional Walking Tour of Philadelphia

also, out side of the colonial history, the mural arts tours are nice: Calendar | Mural Arts Program

and the hidden city tours: Hidden City Philadelphia | Archive for Upcoming Events Events

Have you ever heard of any of these? If not, we do need to do a better job of advertising events that are offered.

Old 03-22-2016, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post
You might be 13 years late to commercializing the idea: Tour Map | The Constitutional Walking Tour of Philadelphia

also, out side of the colonial history, the mural arts tours are nice: Calendar | Mural Arts Program

and the hidden city tours: Hidden City Philadelphia | Archive for Upcoming Events Events

Have you ever heard of any of these? If not, we do need to do a better job of advertising events that are offered.
No, I haven't specifically heard about those tours. But I was thinking more along the lines of a physical path painted on the sidewalks that link the sites together - that tourists visiting Phila. would have an easy time to do a do-it-yourself walking tour of the city's main attractions. In Boston they give out Freedom Trail pamphlet for free which lists each attraction on the trail, but there is a Freedom Trail booklet you can buy that gives more details about each site you see along the trail. Of course you could do a guided tour, too. But, the Freedom Trail made navigating the city by yourself quite easy - just follow the red path - you don't even need a map.

Old 03-22-2016, 04:00 PM

7,731 posts, read 5,455,547 times
gotcha! sounds like a good idea.

Old 03-23-2016, 12:09 PM

108 posts, read 132,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
We were in Boston last summer with the kids and of course we did the Freedom Trail. I love that the trail makes it so easy to see the sites of Boston without having to know your way around the city. I kept saying to my husband, "Why doesn't Philadelphia do something like this? (Philly is my hometown!) It would make it so easy to get around." Do you think something like the "Red, White, and Blue Path" linking the major historic sites in Phila. would be a hit with tourists? Comments? Criticisms? Be kind.

Are you kidding? The Freedom Trail is a mess because it's super long and goes all over the place. Philadelphia does their colonial history much better because Independence Hall and the Constitutional Walking Tour is much more comprehensive.

I'm not even from Philadelphia or Boston and Philadelphia's history is much easier to get around.

I honestly came into this thread thinking you were saying that Philadelphia should have it's own tour or Independence Hall tour or something.

Uhhh.... they do.

Seriously, enough about Boston on this website. It's one of the most overrated cities on here.

Old 03-23-2016, 12:26 PM

1,512 posts, read 1,160,672 times
^^

This is the first time you ever post and that's what you decided to go with?

Old 03-23-2016, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyers Girl View Post
^^

This is the first time you ever post and that's what you decided to go with?

What do you want me to do, type in Chinese?

What exactly is an appropriate first time post?

Old 03-24-2016, 02:07 PM

4,927 posts, read 14,165,872 times
Quote:
No, I haven't specifically heard about those tours. But I was thinking more along the lines of a physical path painted on the sidewalks that link the sites together - that tourists visiting Phila. would have an easy time to do a do-it-yourself walking tour of the city's main attractions.

Imo the historic sites in Old City are so compact and close together that with the map it should not be an issue for the vast majority of tourists. Old City itself is probably bigger/walkable/more urban than your average tourist has back home.

Where I think your idea holds water is helping the tourist outside of Old City. Once you get past 6th+7th on Market/Chestnut its a like hitting a brick wall for most tourist. Bleh not what they want to see at all. The idea would be to help lead them and point them towards Walnut + Locust down to Rittenhouse Square.

This is something a normal city would have addressed 20-30 years ago. Yesterday I drove down Chestnut to Old City and once you get past 7th Street its bleak. Market Street is worse although I realize things will hopefully get better.

In short Id like to see a trail from Independence Hall to Rittenhouse Square(via Walnut or Locust) and then maybe a trail from Rittenhouse Sq to Parkway. If Chestnut + Market looked like Locust or Spruce Philadelphia wold be much better off.

Old 03-24-2016, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILoveMyFood View Post

Are you kidding? The Freedom Trail is a mess because it's super long and goes all over the place. Philadelphia does their colonial history much better because Independence Hall and the Constitutional Walking Tour is much more comprehensive.

I'm not even from Philadelphia or Boston and Philadelphia's history is much easier to get around.

I honestly came into this thread thinking you were saying that Philadelphia should have it's own tour or Independence Hall tour or something.

Uhhh.... they do.

Seriously, enough about Boston on this website. It's one of the most overrated cities on here.
I spent one full day in Boston on the way back from Canada last summer. My husband, plus three kids, and I walked the whole trail in one day. It wasn't a mess at all. And it's very easy to lop off the last section where you cross the bridge to Bunker Hill if you think it's too long. Not being very familiar with Boston, I just really like how the trail makes it very easy for tourists to get around on their own and hit all the major tourist sites without really thinking. When we were in Philadelphia visiting my parents, it occurred to me that a similar painted trail would work in Philadelphia. This has nothing to do with which city is better, and regardless of whether you think Boston is overrated or not, I think it's a good idea to help tourists get around.

Old 03-25-2016, 10:14 AM

Quote:
I spent one full day in Boston on the way back from Canada last summer. My husband, plus three kids, and I walked the whole trail in one day. It wasn't a mess at all. And it's very easy to lop off the last section where you cross the bridge to Bunker Hill if you think it's too long. Not being very familiar with Boston, I just really like how the trail makes it very easy for tourists to get around on their own and hit all the major tourist sites without really thinking. When we were in Philadelphia visiting my parents, it occurred to me that a similar painted trail would work in Philadelphia. This has nothing to do with which city is better, and regardless of whether you think Boston is overrated or not, I think it's a good idea to help tourists get around.

I think there is more major tourist attractions in Boston than what is on the Freedom Trail, which is just colonial history so I still disagree.

It's not possible to connect a trail to every major tourist attraction in Boston, and it's not possible in Philadelphia or anywhere for that matter.

Philadelphia doesn't need to make a trail. It has an entire comprehensive neighborhood. That's my point. It doesn't need one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia