Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2016, 02:13 PM

5,289 posts, read 7,363,403 times

Advertisements

I think the city of Philadelphia encompasses the best and worst of both worlds being a major cosmopolitan city, but, still have that provincial, down-to-earth, neighborhoody type feel within its borders.

What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2016, 02:31 PM

1,680 posts, read 943,739 times
Absolutely agree.

As a 12 year resident of NY, I'd say that description hits the nail on the head for me. Not that NYC still doesn't have that to a degree, but the "city of neighborhoods" feel ny once had is being choked out by money.

Love philly for that. Really hope it doesn't become that way here.

Old 04-12-2016, 08:50 PM

1,953 posts, read 3,857,406 times
I love the provincial feel of Philly. Everyone in Philly seems to be from here. There is a local culture, cuisine, etc here whose NY counterpart cannot be found in Manhattan. You have to go to the outer boroughs of NY to find the equivalent. Similarly, in DC, go to a bar and you'll often see more people cheering against the local teams than for them.

That said, Philly also has the bones, culture, and history to make it secretly one of the most cosmopolitan cities in the country. Best mix of both imo.

Old 04-12-2016, 09:14 PM

4,927 posts, read 14,153,997 times
Center City especially around Rittenhouse is becoming more cosmopolitan but overall the city has a long way to go.

I always harp on the unwelcoming highway scenes heading into center city. The Schuylkill coming in from the west is a joke of a sardine-can parking lot. Coming in from the airport? Where to begin. It would need $500 M worth of upgrades just to put a dent in the visual blight and pollution .

Philadelphia just is not laid out to be a cosmopolitan city outside of Center City.

Old 04-13-2016, 07:44 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,662,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinite_heights77 View Post
I think the city of Philadelphia encompasses the best and worst of both worlds being a major cosmopolitan city, but, still have that provincial, down-to-earth, neighborhoody type feel within its borders.

What do you think?
Definitely agree with you.

Old 04-13-2016, 07:49 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,662,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrock View Post
Center City especially around Rittenhouse is becoming more cosmopolitan but overall the city has a long way to go.

I always harp on the unwelcoming highway scenes heading into center city. The Schuylkill coming in from the west is a joke of a sardine-can parking lot. Coming in from the airport? Where to begin. It would need $500 M worth of upgrades just to put a dent in the visual blight and pollution .

Philadelphia just is not laid out to be a cosmopolitan city outside of Center City.
It doesn't look as bad coming in from the north, from the Betsey Ross Bridge and I95. But, yes, coming in from other parts, it's awful. I hate the approach, from the south, going past Chester.

Old 04-13-2016, 08:47 AM

9,333 posts, read 9,185,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrock View Post

At least when you are stopped on the Schuylkill you have beautiful views of the city and Boathouse Row

Old 04-13-2016, 08:48 AM

9,333 posts, read 9,185,202 times
Center City and University City and their growing circles of influence are becoming quite cosmopolitan, however they are small in comparison to the entire county.

Old 04-15-2016, 09:19 AM

Location: NYC based - Used to Live in Philly - Transplant from Miami
2,307 posts, read 2,750,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
Center City and University City and their growing circles of influence are becoming quite cosmopolitan, however they are small in comparison to the entire county.
We are getting there....

Old 04-15-2016, 10:33 AM

1,119 posts, read 1,451,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
It doesn't look as bad coming in from the north, from the Betsey Ross Bridge and I95. But, yes, coming in from other parts, it's awful. I hate the approach, from the south, going past Chester.
I'm certainly not going to disagree with that, but wonder ... what cities are even semi-attractive between airport and downtown? That'd be a good thread for the C-D General US or City v City forums.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia