Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2016, 01:07 PM

3,530 posts, read 4,175,298 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ondoner View Post
You raise an important point regarding whites moving into areas with minorities. To me this is not the same or the opposite as minorities moving into Caucasian areas. Reason being, immigration/relocation is usually driven by economic benefits. So, if there is an economic benefit of doing so, then I'm absolutely in favor of it.

So should whites relocate to minorities areas? Yes. If it's a step up the economic ladder. My case for integration is solely based on economic advancement.

Regarding interracial dating, it's harder for 2 people from different cultures. However, this will become a less of an issue if the communities are well integrated.
Right, and I hear you, but why are those economic benefits, the very best of them, reserved mainly for whites/white communities? Even well-to-do immigrant groups who do well in this country often hit glass ceilings, be it the job market, dating or housing. That ties into the point I was getting at earlier about systemic racism, intentional or otherwise, and inequality keeping minorities disadvantaged.

And when whites do move into minority areas, gentrification often occurs, thus kicking out those minorities and keeping the cycle going. Why does gentrification occur? Because the economic capital and opportunities between whites and minorities, especially darker skinned minorities, remains unequal. Many folks simply can't afford to stay. Most (not all) whites have more money and opportunity than most minorities, especially people of color, whether they realize it or not. It's like a sick game of musical chairs. Much of it isn't intentional or malicious either, so don't think I'm in "blame whitey" mode, but it happens. It's a complex, multi-layered problem that won't be solved overnight.

But I disagree with you that residential integration should have to be the sole way for minorities for economic advancement. That's a double standard when whites clearly don't have to. Thriving ethnic and racial communities can occur, that are still integrated with larger society. I have no problem with the "work and play together, live separately" mentality--that's natural. I'm in an interracial relationship myself (Afro-Latino/South Asian), but I don't think our communities would necessarily have to live together to completely get along or economically advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2016, 03:21 PM

1,782 posts, read 1,553,097 times
I hadn't thought of gentrification as the reverse although this is true. So without venturing further into race issues, I think gentrification is good although it creates other issues which I think are mainly due to resentment of new comers into the community.

If Bill Gates wants to move into my neighborhood, I would gladly welcome him because I think his move may attract other more desirable characters into my neighbor and improve the value of our neighborhood networks. Unfortunately, some people will not see it the way I do. It's how one reacts that makes a difference. IMHO, humans are like animals, they can be territorial, even when it's to their own detriment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by qworldorder View Post
Right, and I hear you, but why are those economic benefits, the very best of them, reserved mainly for whites/white communities? Even well-to-do immigrant groups who do well in this country often hit glass ceilings, be it the job market, dating or housing. That ties into the point I was getting at earlier about systemic racism, intentional or otherwise, and inequality keeping minorities disadvantaged.

And when whites do move into minority areas, gentrification often occurs, thus kicking out those minorities and keeping the cycle going. Why does gentrification occur? Because the economic capital and opportunities between whites and minorities, especially darker skinned minorities, remains unequal. Many folks simply can't afford to stay. Most (not all) whites have more money and opportunity than most minorities, especially people of color, whether they realize it or not. It's like a sick game of musical chairs. Much of it isn't intentional or malicious either, so don't think I'm in "blame whitey" mode, but it happens. It's a complex, multi-layered problem that won't be solved overnight.

But I disagree with you that residential integration should have to be the sole way for minorities for economic advancement. That's a double standard when whites clearly don't have to. Thriving ethnic and racial communities can occur, that are still integrated with larger society. I have no problem with the "work and play together, live separately" mentality--that's natural. I'm in an interracial relationship myself (Afro-Latino/South Asian), but I don't think our communities would necessarily have to live together to completely get along or economically advance.

Old 05-06-2016, 09:17 AM

712 posts, read 701,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BK_PHL_DEL View Post
The thing that bothers me about the NYT article is that they don't delve into how Asian students and communities fare; they were part of the main chart of data with Whites/Blacks/Hispanics. Asian communities have existed for decades (Chinatowns) and don't face the same magnitude of blight and crime and neglect as other minority communities. I don't think Asian communities should integrate; their socioeconomic status is strong enough by itself to maintain the community for a long time. This is a good local example of it:

PlanPhilly | Philadelphia Chinatown Development Corporation at 50
Asians weren't used as the comparison group by the study authors because Asian children are a very small portion (5%) of US public school enrollment. Put another way there are 3x as many black students and 6x as many Hispanic students as Asian students.

Old 05-06-2016, 11:14 AM

3,530 posts, read 4,175,298 times
Quote:
I hadn't thought of gentrification as the reverse although this is true. So without venturing further into race issues, I think gentrification is good although it creates other issues which I think are mainly due to resentment of new comers into the community.

If Bill Gates wants to move into my neighborhood, I would gladly welcome him because I think his move may attract other more desirable characters into my neighbor and improve the value of our neighborhood networks. Unfortunately, some people will not see it the way I do. It's how one reacts that makes a difference. IMHO, humans are like animals, they can be territorial, even when it's to their own detriment.
True, and I don't want to delve further into racial issues, either--that's best reserved for the Politics forum. I will say that I have mixed feelings about gentrification, and in your Bill Gates example, I would be fine with it if the move of those individuals didn't drastically hike up residential prices and displace residents. Unfortunately, that doesn't seem to happen in practice.

Old 05-06-2016, 11:29 AM

184 posts, read 235,322 times
lol okay fellas back to the original topic please ... I'm lookin for suburbs and small cities in SE PA with significant numbers of blacks and hispanics, where can I find this? The only town mentioned was Norristown, I'm sure there's more then just that. Btw we are not poor but not well-off either, I would say we are a working-class (or lower middle class) family.

Old 05-06-2016, 11:57 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,756,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkLoFan View Post
lol okay fellas back to the original topic please ... I'm lookin for suburbs and small cities in SE PA with significant numbers of blacks and hispanics, where can I find this? The only town mentioned was Norristown, I'm sure there's more then just that. Btw we are not poor but not well-off either, I would say we are a working-class (or lower middle class) family.
Actually Norristown may be the best example we can give you. What you are looking for doesn't really exist in the suburbs and I would never suggest that you move to, say, Chester.

Norristown, which is the county seat of Montgomery Co., is close to King of Prussia and Plymouth Meeting which are good areas. You will be close to some of the best shopping in the entire Philly metro area for instance.

Although black people have lived in the Phila. suburbs for over a century, there have never been large numbers of blacks in the burbs. I'm black. I grew in the burbs as did my mother. So I have personal experience.

Most of the demographic you'd like to live around are concentrated in the city proper.

Old 05-06-2016, 12:13 PM

13,254 posts, read 33,519,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkLoFan View Post
What Philly suburbs and smaller SE PA cities have significant numbers of blacks and hispanics/Puerto Ricans? I'm specifically asking about Montgomery and Delaware counties. But I'm also open to Chester and Bucks. I'm black and my husband is Rican, were leaving North Jersey for the Philly area but rather the suburbs over city life. so what suburbs and small cities in SE PA have large numbers of blacks and Ricans?
Kennett Square in Chester county has a large population of Hispanics: Kennett High School in Kennett Square PA - SchoolDigger.com

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 05-06-2016, 12:19 PM

4 posts, read 12,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
Actually Norristown may be the best example we can give you. What you are looking for doesn't really exist in the suburbs and I would never suggest that you move to, say, Chester.

Norristown, which is the county seat of Montgomery Co., is close to King of Prussia and Plymouth Meeting which are good areas. You will be close to some of the best shopping in the entire Philly metro area for instance.

Although black people have lived in the Phila. suburbs for over a century, there have never been large numbers of blacks in the burbs. I'm black. I grew in the burbs as did my mother. So I have personal experience.

Most of the demographic you'd like to live around are concentrated in the city proper.

As a newbie to Philadelphia city area. The same seems to hold true. As a city girl that l enjoys living around other middle class African Americans you can not find them in nice neighborhoods unless they are millenials. It is a little disappointing. Good luck in your search.

Old 05-06-2016, 12:24 PM

1,782 posts, read 1,553,097 times
I've cycled a couple of times through Keenet Square. There are many Mexicans, rather than Puerto Ricans. And I believe they mostly work in the mushroom farms. I stand to be corrected

Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
Kennett Square in Chester county has a large population of Hispanics: Kennett High School in Kennett Square PA - SchoolDigger.com

Old 05-06-2016, 01:44 PM

13,254 posts, read 33,519,625 times
Quote:
I've cycled a couple of times through Keenet Square. There are many Mexicans, rather than Puerto Ricans. And I believe they mostly work in the mushroom farms. I stand to be corrected
You are correct. I didn't look back at the OP that mentioned Puerto Ricans, just the post above that calls out Hispanics.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia