Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2016, 12:23 PM

11,998 posts, read 12,934,015 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
Just curious. How do you envision a real uprising to play out? Oh, right you're hoping for a left-wing/pacifist uprising, it seems, with no violence.
Pretty much-key word 'hope'.

Old 05-20-2016, 12:25 PM

10,787 posts, read 8,758,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
Also, I find it a bit ironic if not hypocritical that in 2008 it was Clinton supporters that would not "fall in line" and get behind Obama at this point in the contest.

Recent polls show 72% of Sanders supporters would vote for Clinton over Trump. During the same time in 2008 only 60% of Clinton supporters said they would vote for Obama over McCain.

Why now are Bernie supporters being so heavily criticized and nearly insulted? People are just being impatient now and probably really wanted Hillary to be ordained nominee without any challenge or discourse.

Everything will be fine-not great, but fine. Bernie being in the race is good for long term political discourse.
He'll be 75 soon. I'm not into encouraging more seniors to run for the most powerful position in the world no matter what those individuals say or think. And that goes for Hillary too who's also too old, IMO. But those are the Democratic choices.

I would respect Sanders more if it was apparent he was mentoring younger people into the political process wrt to running for office. Is he doing that? I don't get the sense that he evens cares about that. Where are the Gen-X or younger Boomers that Democrats should have been grooming for some time now?

Me being old too, it really concerns me that Democrats keep hanging on to such old fossils.

Old 05-20-2016, 12:32 PM

32,101 posts, read 34,714,145 times
Quote:
You are one of the few I've seen to at least acknowledge this hypocrisy.
Serious question: Do you think Sanders' proposals are any more realistic than the conservative call for a flat tax or the abolition of the Internal Revenue Service?

I think my platform is even more progressive than the Bernie Sanders platform. Here's what I propose.

-4 months of paid vacation for all Americans. Wall Street will pay for it.
-Minimum salary of $100,000 for anyone who earns a college degree. The billionaires will pay for this.
-No war. Like, ever. Peace on Earth and Goodwill towards all men and women.
-Free healthcare and more and better doctors for everyone, everywhere. I will pay for this by capping physician salaries at $50,000 and driving insurance companies out of business.
-No taxes for individuals earning less than $250,000 per year
-Every college/university in the USNWR Top 100 will be forced to cap tuition at $5,000 per semester
-Restoring "fair" trade to America. Philadelphia will once again be the Workshop of the World.

Vote for me!

Old 05-20-2016, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Serious question: Do you think Sanders' proposals are any more realistic than the conservative call for a flat tax or the abolition of the Internal Revenue Service?
Absolutely. Not sure why anyone would believe it to be "realistic" to waste TRILLIONS of our USD blowing things up and rebuilding them in sovereign nations while overthrowing Democratically elected leaders-installing brutal Dictators, killing scores of civilians and making war profiteers rich beyond imagination, wasting TRILLIONS on Fed stimulus programs and bailouts that really do nothing for the overwhelming majority of the population and only feed and grow nationless corporate/banking hegemony around the globe, allowing our Government to be hijacked and our sovereignty diminished....but yet here we are.

Old 05-20-2016, 12:54 PM

Quote:
He'll be 75 soon. I'm not into encouraging more seniors to run for the most powerful position in the world no matter what those individuals say or think. And that goes for Hillary too who's also too old, IMO. But those are the Democratic choices.

I would respect Sanders more if it was apparent he was mentoring younger people into the political process wrt to running for office. Is he doing that? I don't get the sense that he evens cares about that. Where are the Gen-X or younger Boomers that Democrats should have been grooming for some time now?

Me being old too, it really concerns me that Democrats keep hanging on to such old fossils.
Agreed on that. Funny, Bernie has always been Bernie for decades-I'm glad so many have been introduced but he is not some "messiah".

Old 05-20-2016, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Absolutely. Not sure why anyone would believe it to be "realistic" to waste TRILLIONS of our USD blowing things up and rebuilding them in sovereign nations while overthrowing Democratically elected leaders-installing brutal Dictators, killing scores of civilians and making war profiteers rich beyond imagination, wasting TRILLIONS on Fed stimulus programs and bailouts that really do nothing for the overwhelming majority of the population and only feed and grow nationless corporate/banking hegemony around the globe, allowing our Government to be hijacked and our sovereignty diminished....but yet here we are.
Yeah, that sounds good and all, but what Sanders' proposals do you see actually getting approved by two houses of Congress? TARP was approved by Congress. Congress authorized military intervention in Iraq. Which of Sanders' proposals actually have a chance of, like, passing in Congress?

Old 05-20-2016, 02:01 PM

1,384 posts, read 1,753,453 times
Quote:
Where are the Gen-X or younger Boomers that Democrats should have been grooming for some time now?

Um...Obama? Martin O'Malley? Chris Murphy? Kirsten Gillibrand? Bob Casey? Corey Booker? Amy Klobuchar? Those last three are all seen as serious VP contenders, BTW.

Old 05-20-2016, 03:00 PM

Quote:
The opportunity to, perhaps, stop or curtail, the US military industrial complex vanished 20 years ago even though the Cold War ended and the Soviet Union fell apart.

I wish I shared your viewpoint that it's possible but I don't see it as even remotely feasible.

Old 05-20-2016, 03:07 PM

Bernie supporters should rail against healthcare providers. They are the major reason healthcare costs so much since they're able to set their own prices. Of course, as we know, the healthcare industry is the largest employer in the Philadelphia region. So it would be interesting to see what impact changes to the industry would have on the local economy. The people working for these providers are part of the "corruption" too.

Old 05-20-2016, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leps12 View Post
Um...Obama? Martin O'Malley? Chris Murphy? Kirsten Gillibrand? Bob Casey? Corey Booker? Amy Klobuchar? Those last three are all seen as serious VP contenders, BTW.
In 1960, which was the first presidential election I paid attention to as a kid, John Kennedy was 42/43 and Richard Nixon was 46/47. And, remember, Nixon had been VP for 8 years already.

Except for Booker and Murphy, the rest should stay where they are.

Going back to 1960, departing President Einsenhower, was younger, at 62, than the current prez choices.

Reagan should have been an anomaly. Bush 1? Same.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia