U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-25-2006, 10:11 PM
 
1 posts, read 4,194 times
Reputation: 10

Advertisements

I'm considering relocating to Philly from Portland, Oregon and I may need to drive cross country during the winter. The thing is...I don't want to put my dog in baggage on a plane, so I'm thinking that driving is my only option. Has anyone ever driven cross country? What routes would you recommend?

Any other ideas for how I can get my sweet dog to Philly? Help!

Oh, and if you can recommend any neighborhoods for two gals and a huge, beautiful standard poodle... we make great neighbors!

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-26-2006, 09:37 AM
 
2,186 posts, read 6,818,814 times
Reputation: 835
Can't help with the getting dog here part, but give more information. Do you want city or suburbs? If you want to be close to center city (which I recommend), Queen Village or Bella Vista would be good choices.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-26-2006, 10:02 AM
 
Location: ♥State of the heart♥
1,118 posts, read 4,417,447 times
Reputation: 844
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinyelvisgirl View Post
Oh, and if you can recommend any neighborhoods for two gals and a huge, beautiful standard poodle... we make great neighbors! Thanks!
I'm sorry, I can't suggest anything regarding getting your dog to Philly, however --- once you are here, I can suggest a great neighborhood. My DD lives near the Philadelphia Museum of Art. Lots of lovely old homes, rentals and resales - the neighbors are professional people, young families, students and lots of people have dogs! You see them walking their pets in the morning, chatting or saying hello. Very friendly neighborhood, low crime there too. DD loves it! (And we do not worry about here there).

There are charming *pubs, **restaurants, little markets, beauty shops, dry cleaners - it is truly a little village. You can easily walk to the Art Museum, lots of great streets to jog or walk the dog. Check out the *'Bishop's Collar' and **'Jack's Firehouse.'

Safe travels & (an early) WELCOME TO PHILLY!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-26-2006, 01:40 PM
 
2,186 posts, read 6,818,814 times
Reputation: 835
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adream View Post
I'm sorry, I can't suggest anything regarding getting your dog to Philly, however --- once you are here, I can suggest a great neighborhood. My DD lives near the Philadelphia Museum of Art. Lots of lovely old homes, rentals and resales - the neighbors are professional people, young families, students and lots of people have dogs! You see them walking their pets in the morning, chatting or saying hello. Very friendly neighborhood, low crime there too. DD loves it! (And we do not worry about here there).

There are charming *pubs, **restaurants, little markets, beauty shops, dry cleaners - it is truly a little village. You can easily walk to the Art Museum, lots of great streets to jog or walk the dog. Check out the *'Bishop's Collar' and **'Jack's Firehouse.'

Safe travels & (an early) WELCOME TO PHILLY!
That is another great area. Lots of parks and greenery. This area is just north of center city and like Queen Village and Bella Vista (which is just south of center city) also an easy walk into center city.

Hope you love it here. Another suggestion is to check phillyblogdotcom for other ideas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-26-2006, 01:45 PM
 
Location: Southeast Idaho
4,700 posts, read 16,032,820 times
Reputation: 2573
I will suggest that if you're traveling cross country that it's not always possible to have the dog in the hotel with you, so you might want to do a search for ABKA and board the dog only at ABKA certified kennels if the need arises.

Make certain you have all documentation on hand proving the dog is current on all vaccines.

Also, check ahead with a vet in PA to see if they do vaccines that your vet typically doesn't. I know here in Idaho, we don't usually seee the Corona visus vaccines, however I know where my sister lives in CA that they do.

As far as weather, you can get snow there on Cabbage in between the Columbia River basin and the OR/ID border. Don't know if you're planning on traveling across the top (I-90/94) or down on the I-80. This time fo year you can plan on a chance of snow nearly anywhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-27-2006, 10:33 AM
 
Location: FL
1,943 posts, read 7,871,962 times
Reputation: 2271
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinyelvisgirl View Post
I'm considering relocating to Philly from Portland, Oregon and I may need to drive cross country during the winter. The thing is...I don't want to put my dog in baggage on a plane, so I'm thinking that driving is my only option. Has anyone ever driven cross country? What routes would you recommend?

Any other ideas for how I can get my sweet dog to Philly? Help!

Oh, and if you can recommend any neighborhoods for two gals and a huge, beautiful standard poodle... we make great neighbors!

Thanks!
I have driven cross county with my dog and 2 cats! I drove from Philly to Naples Florida, which is pretty far south. Had to stay in a hotel overnight. All in all, it was good. We stopped every couple of hours to let the dog go to the bathroom, and then to eat. At a lot of the rest stops, they have dog spots. We didn't put him in a cage, just kept him in the back. I don't know what kind of vechicle you have, but we rented a mini van, so we could put seats down and have room for some luggage, the cat carriers and the dog, and my dog isn't small, he is medium size. We made reservations at a pet friendly hotel. I could never put my dog in baggage, because it isn't climate controlled, and I couldn't give him away, so we drove with him and it worked out just fine!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-03-2006, 10:40 PM
 
Location: Media/Delaware County
8 posts, read 54,781 times
Reputation: 14
We snuck our dog into motels when we drove from San Diego to Philly when we relocated here a year and a half ago. If you want a small, diverse town outside Philly, check out Media, PA where I live. 30 minutes on the train into Philly. I designed the website at www.RealEstateMadeEasy.us (broken link) with big photos and I just added an easy way to look at Philly homes so feel free to use it too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-18-2006, 04:04 PM
 
Location: TwilightZone
5,296 posts, read 5,339,501 times
Reputation: 1031
My condolences on you're relocating from Oregon,personally I think it's a whole lot better there.
Anyway,you can find pet friendly hotels by doing a Google search.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-18-2006, 05:46 PM
 
Location: Villanova Pa.
4,909 posts, read 12,695,753 times
Reputation: 2634
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuckPA View Post
My condolences on you're relocating from Oregon,personally I think it's a whole lot better there.
Anyway,you can find pet friendly hotels by doing a Google search.
what would you know about Oregon? You don't even know anything about the location you are spamming. Dont be a hater.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-18-2006, 07:23 PM
 
Location: TwilightZone
5,296 posts, read 5,339,501 times
Reputation: 1031
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrock View Post
what would you know about Oregon? You don't even know anything about the location you are spamming. Dont be a hater.
Everyone's a hater on some level. I know enough about other places to know that they're better than here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top