Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2016, 11:03 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,747,789 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DatKidSoFly View Post
sorry, i never been to Philly and don't know the city that well.
Well, I did jump on you a bit... I'm sorry too.

Anyhow, unlike other original colonies, Pennsylvania's founder, William Penn, believed in religious tolerance. He was a Quaker, a pacifist, who didn't believe in war and discord.

Although there was a lot of anti-Catholic bigotry in Phila. in the 19th century... there was a terrible riot in 1844 caused by nativists... overall Penn's intentions still seem to be somewhat prevalent in Philly 300+ years later.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2016, 12:34 PM

4,081 posts, read 3,602,808 times
May I ask why you are interested in a community such as this? I, for one, think that it may be something that you will not be interested in once you realize what it entails.

Islam has a lot of rules that affect daily life and are quite restrictive. You would not be allowed to eat pork. You would not be allowed to drink alcohol. You would be required to dress in a certain manner. And the list goes on. The majority black Muslim areas of Philadelphia aren't exactly the nicest parts of town either, so that is something to keep into consideration.

As a young person, I'm sure that you are trying to find a path on which to direct your life. Perhaps you're looking for something different, and that is completely understandable, but it may not end up being what you hope it to be.

Before jumping into a life that is somewhat restrictive and is concentrated in an impoverished section of Philadelphia, I suggest first checking out some of the Black Baptist churches of Philadelphia. These churches have nearly universally black congregations and may be able to resonate and empathize with you more. Many of these Baptist churches also have many activities and social events for younger individuals, so it would be a great way to meet people in the Philadelphia area. Black Baptist churches generally have a very enthusiastic and exciting choir and music groups as well.

I obviously can't dissuade you from doing what you would like from your life, but I'm here to say that you will be welcomed with open arms into any number of Black Baptist churches in the Philadelphia area, and they very well may be able to fulfill your spiritual needs.

Here is a link with some of the largely black churches in the Philadelphia area: Guide to African-American Churches and Places of Worship in Philadelphia — Visit Philadelphia — visitphilly.com

Old 07-10-2016, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dequindre View Post
May I ask why you are interested in a community such as this? I, for one, think that it may be something that you will not be interested in once you realize what it entails.

Islam has a lot of rules that affect daily life and are quite restrictive. You would not be allowed to eat pork. You would not be allowed to drink alcohol. You would be required to dress in a certain manner. And the list goes on. The majority black Muslim areas of Philadelphia aren't exactly the nicest parts of town either, so that is something to keep into consideration.

As a young person, I'm sure that you are trying to find a path on which to direct your life. Perhaps you're looking for something different, and that is completely understandable, but it may not end up being what you hope it to be.

Before jumping into a life that is somewhat restrictive and is concentrated in an impoverished section of Philadelphia, I suggest first checking out some of the Black Baptist churches of Philadelphia. These churches have nearly universally black congregations and may be able to resonate and empathize with you more. Many of these Baptist churches also have many activities and social events for younger individuals, so it would be a great way to meet people in the Philadelphia area. Black Baptist churches generally have a very enthusiastic and exciting choir and music groups as well.

I obviously can't dissuade you from doing what you would like from your life, but I'm here to say that you will be welcomed with open arms into any number of Black Baptist churches in the Philadelphia area, and they very well may be able to fulfill your spiritual needs.

Here is a link with some of the largely black churches in the Philadelphia area: Guide to African-American Churches and Places of Worship in Philadelphia — Visit Philadelphia — visitphilly.com
You're assuming that the OP doesn't know what conversion to Islam entails. And you're not being honest about where black churches are. Church of the Advocate is in Strawberry Mansion currently one of the worst ghetto in the city.

You do know, right, that not all black Phila. Christians are Baptists. We're AME, Methodist(Tidley Temple in your link), Episcopalians(the very historic, St Thomas), Presbyterian, and Roman Catholic.

Old 07-10-2016, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
You're assuming that the OP doesn't know what conversion to Islam entails. And you're not being honest about where black churches are. Church of the Advocate is in Strawberry Mansion currently one of the worst ghetto in the city.

You do know, right, that not all black Phila. Christians are Baptists. We're AME, Methodist(Tidley Temple in your link), Episcopalians(the very historic, St Thomas), Presbyterian, and Roman Catholic.
I would consider that a great thing. There are an even greater variety of Congregations and denominations to fulfill the spiritual needs of the black community in Philadelphia.

Old 07-10-2016, 08:08 PM

15 posts, read 14,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post

yeah thank you for saying that. he assumes that i have no knowledge in Islam. i have been christian before and i just went through a phase where i was depressed and became agnostic. reading a little of the qur'an and learning more about the religion made me believe in god again. also the religion has been mentioned to me for awhile (almost a year and a half) so possibly Allah is guiding me to him. i have nothing against christianity but it's probably not for me.

sorry if i offended anybody here.

Old 07-10-2016, 08:34 PM

Quote:
yeah thank you for saying that. he assumes that i have no knowledge in Islam. i have been christian before and i just went through a phase where i was depressed and became agnostic. reading a little of the qur'an and learning more about the religion made me believe in god again. also the religion has been mentioned to me for awhile (almost a year and a half) so possibly Allah is guiding me to him. i have nothing against christianity but it's probably not for me.

I'm not offended in the least, but I truly (from the bottom of my heart) believe that you should give Christianity another try.

In my experience, the church and congregation has a lot to do with how you experience a religion. I've been to churches with older congregations that didn't really click with me, but congregations with a younger/more modern congregation have. People experience religion differently, and the styles of worship vary vastly. Christian denominations offer many of these different styles.

I wish you the best, but please remember that you'll always be welcomed into a Christian congregation once again.

Old 07-11-2016, 06:17 AM

Quote:

Follow your heart. Some Christians feel obligated to proselytize. You don' t have to listen to it.

Old 07-11-2016, 10:11 PM

49 posts, read 75,242 times
Quote:

OP, you should go where your heart leads you and and where you feel conviction. If you are interested in conversion to Islam, then you should definitely go for it. I'm Buddhist (was also raised Christian) and just assuming that all black people should be Christian is actually steeped in ignorance. Like all races, we have diversity and that should be celebrated.

Old 07-14-2016, 06:12 PM

2,130 posts, read 1,456,422 times
Quote:

Are you really going to be happy giving up Santa and never eating bacon or baby back ribs again??

Old 07-14-2016, 10:05 PM

54 posts, read 86,826 times
Don't worry about another person's religion. Be content that he is a God fearing person
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia