Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2016, 06:23 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,759,762 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janszoon View Post
I live in Francisville and there seems to be a fair amount of resentment to me.
Really? Do you feel comfortable about explaining what you mean? Are people coming up to you saying stuff? I've lived in the area for 20 years and have never seen/heard about any movement to stop gentrification.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2016, 12:22 PM

333 posts, read 282,820 times
As a current Point Breeze resident (15th & Tasker-ish), I have to admit that your take is pretty spot-on. The "Newbold" sections seem to be the nicest and most rebuilt; the father west you go, the more it drops off in a big hurry.

The thing is, the neighborhood IS changing. There's a ton of new construction all over the place, and vacancies are slowly being filled in. But if it doesn't feel like it's coalesced into a new and shiny whole, it's probably because there's just so much left to be done, and, as noted above, various neighborhood groups would rather obstruct than help drive the improvements.

Also a big factor, I think--the complete non-entity that is Point Breeze Avenue. Part of why the gentrification has been slower to move westward is because there's no businesses or commerce helping to pull people that way. Aside from, what, American Sardine and Breezy's, there's very little of note. If the neighborhood can get some traction on remaking PB Ave, that would go a long way. It's got tremendous bones--there's no reason it can't one day be our very own Passyunk Ave.

Old 07-19-2016, 05:46 PM

2,932 posts, read 5,421,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireshaker View Post
Also a big factor, I think--the complete non-entity that is Point Breeze Avenue. Part of why the gentrification has been slower to move westward is because there's no businesses or commerce helping to pull people that way. Aside from, what, American Sardine and Breezy's, there's very little of note. If the neighborhood can get some traction on remaking PB Ave, that would go a long way. It's got tremendous bones--there's no reason it can't one day be our very own Passyunk Ave.
You bring up an excellent point about lack of businesses in the area. As an aside, is Breezy's even there anymore? I thought I heard it had closed down.

Old 07-20-2016, 06:59 AM

333 posts, read 282,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LibraGirl123 View Post
You bring up an excellent point about lack of businesses in the area. As an aside, is Breezy's even there anymore? I thought I heard it had closed down.
I had heard it was temporarily closed pending some sort of move or renovation, but not gone for good. At least, I hope not--it's really an underappreciated gem.

Old 07-20-2016, 11:21 AM

1,304 posts, read 1,232,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireshaker View Post
Exactly! When I graduate from college in 2 years and start investing in real estate, I will be eyeing parcels on Point Breeze Avenue. I believe that it does have the potential to become a vibrant corridor, similar to East Passyunk Avenue. If this happens, then investment will spread in all directions. Also, it is only a matter of time before Washington Avenue is developed along the northern extremity of the neighborhood. PB as a neighborhoods has tons of potential. It walkable and bikeable to Center City, has a stop on the Broad Street Line (Tasker-Morris), and is surrounded by other successful neighborhoods.

As a future developer, I also have my eye on Grays Ferry and Forgotten Bottom. As PB does eventually gentrify and Penn continues to develop its new campus at 34th and Grays Ferry Avenue, these two neighborhoods will become primed for development. The only issue with this area is that it is really auto-centric in nature. This will change with the continuation of the Schuylkill River Trail. Plus, for those who work in University City (or even Center City), a bike commute from these two neighborhoods is not bad at all. 34th Street will take one into University City, and going east on Grays Ferry Avenue will take one into Center City.

Old 07-21-2016, 04:06 PM

82 posts, read 82,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
Really? Do you feel comfortable about explaining what you mean? Are people coming up to you saying stuff? I've lived in the area for 20 years and have never seen/heard about any movement to stop gentrification.
I didn't say it was a movement, I just said there was resentment. It's not like there's one monolithic thing I can point to, just a lot of little things—notes on cars, antagonistic behavior, throwing trash in people's yards, having block parties that the new people are clearly not welcome at, that kind of thing.

Old 07-22-2016, 07:06 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,759,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janszoon View Post
I didn't say it was a movement, I just said there was resentment. It's not like there's one monolithic thing I can point to, just a lot of little things—notes on cars, antagonistic behavior, throwing trash in people's yards, having block parties that the new people are clearly not welcome at, that kind of thing.
That's disheartening to hear.

Old 07-22-2016, 08:14 AM

59 posts, read 47,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
Point Breeze is slowing changing for the better, I am sure there is unrest as the neighborhood transitions, but its a losing battle for anyone against the improvements, so they might as well embrace it, rather than fight it.

The only neighborhood that I would consider in "rapid gentrification" is Fishtown, literally changed overnight.
Huh? Fishtown's gentrification has been going on at least 10 years, if not longer. Johny Brenda's opened when, 2005? Sure Frankford ave has seen a real explosion in the last 3 years, but there had been slow incremental process for some time prior.

Anyway, on to Point Breeze, went out to American Sardine bar couple weeks ago and the vibe walking through the neighborhood was tense. I think the racial element is palpable, rich white peeps pushing out poor black people. I guess that's just the nature of the beast, but seeing it in real time really drives home that reality. There is certainly a class element of what's happening in Fishtown as well, but the longtimers were much more established and obviously the race element was mostly absent. I dunno, of all the gentrifying areas I've been to, PB gives off the most unease.

Last edited by roma258; 07-22-2016 at 08:47 AM..

Old 07-22-2016, 10:54 AM

5,546 posts, read 6,874,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roma258 View Post
Huh? Fishtown's gentrification has been going on at least 10 years, if not longer. Johny Brenda's opened when, 2005? Sure Frankford ave has seen a real explosion in the last 3 years, but there had been slow incremental process for some time prior.

Anyway, on to Point Breeze, went out to American Sardine bar couple weeks ago and the vibe walking through the neighborhood was tense. I think the racial element is palpable, rich white peeps pushing out poor black people. I guess that's just the nature of the beast, but seeing it in real time really drives home that reality. There is certainly a class element of what's happening in Fishtown as well, but the longtimers were much more established and obviously the race element was mostly absent. I dunno, of all the gentrifying areas I've been to, PB gives off the most unease.
Is that really happening though? If so, it must be renters. Those who choose to sell their houses for a profit aren't really synonymous with what "gentrification" really is.

Old 07-22-2016, 11:31 AM

1,213 posts, read 955,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roma258 View Post

Yeah, totally agree with this. Doesn't help that the "community organization" self-named Concerned Citizens (i.e. racist agenda-driven bigots) got their hands on a copy machine and frequently send out hate propaganda with horrible misspelling and grammar. Their flyers are straight-up hate speech. "White devil," etc...

Just one of many ridiculous "community meetings," via link below (I'm offended and I'm not even Jewish). If this was a was white group saying things openly like this about African Americans, the National Guard, FBI and CIA would be here in 30 seconds. Anyway, I digress...: Point Breeze meeting ends after 'anti-Semitic' comments

Unfortunately, the poverty pimp, Kenyatta Johnson, inflames this attitude because, once ousted from his do-nothing city gig, he'll stop making six figures a year for working 15 hours a week. Ultimately, it won't matter, as free market demand always wins in the end, but it's going to take another decade plus to turn this neighborhood. Shame...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia