U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-24-2008, 09:20 PM

3,266 posts, read 9,067,582 times

Advertisements

I have seen some pictures of Drexel and the campus does not look depressing, but I don't want to attend a depressing looking school such as SUNY Albany or SUNY Stony Brook. Just wondering if you would consider the campus visually appealing.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2008, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah211 View Post
Being a Drexel Student, I might be able to shed a little more light on the situation. While, I am not Jewish, I believe there are a good amount at Drexel. There is AEPi (a Jewish frat) and many other organizations. While Drexel is considered a "commuter" school, many of my friends are considered "commuters" yet they live closer to class than some of the dorms. Being a commuter just means you don't live in Drexel owned housing, and there are many non-Drexel owned apartments intertwined with the dorms. With that said, many people go to other cities for co-op and don't live nearby campus at all. If you have any more questions, let me know.
Are you a current student? Would you mind taking some pics of the campus, common areas, and maybe the street scenes around the campus for me? That would be really helpful.

Old 02-24-2008, 09:40 PM

1,623 posts, read 4,290,756 times
Dude, you should just look at the Drexel website or a million other websites with University City pics...that's asking a bit much I think.

As for surf gear, you gotta go the mall for some surf shops or down the shore...that's where all the stuff you could find anywhere at home will be...I'm thinking you'd be mail ordering...I used to get all kinds of stares when I wore Vans back in the mid 80s here...people just weren't ready yet...same for Flojos and Ugg boots just came into fashion back East maybe 3-5 years ago when my cousins in Cali were wearing them for years...just the way it is...

As for beaches...the water tends to be warmer and calmer and not as rocky as So Cal beaches...you can surf a little in Ocean City...but not much and if you wait til high tide, you can surf between the pilings under the boardwalk..those guys are nuts...the surroundings and the girls aren't as pretty but you don't go ass over teakettle every five minutes and get up with a pound of gravel in your shorts either...

If I were you, I'd look seriously at Villnova or St. Joseph's University...they have excellent programs, great sports etc, and the kids are generally middle-upper middle class...I just think it offers all the great things about living here in a better location and without most of the drawbacks of Drexel (the location, lack of a hot athletic program and the commuter school image which is probably still true to some extent)...

A guy I worked with and his bro were from San Diego and he went to Lehigh and his bro went to Villanova...they both loved it here if that's any idea of whether you could find the area suitable...

Old 02-24-2008, 09:53 PM

I haven't found a good website with lots of pictures yet. Even Drexel's own website doesn't have good pics.

Old 02-24-2008, 10:05 PM

Untitled Document (http://www.pages.drexel.edu/~emb29/Campus.html - broken link)

Just google "pictures of University City, Philadelphia" or "Pictures of Drexel's Campus" "Pictures of Penn's Campus" and the like...you should see plenty...

Old 02-24-2008, 10:31 PM

3,955 posts, read 8,491,643 times
St Joes and Villanova are great schools but much much harder to get accepted and yeah they are very pleasant appealing places but when you are 19-21 y.o. you should be looking for excitement,vibrancy and a challenge and University City/Center City blow Villanova and City Line(St Joe) away in that regard.

Drexel isnt a bad school at all but you do need to be aware of the hood rats.If you are street smart and vigilant at night you probably wont have any problems. The immediate area of Drexel isnt bad but it falls off pretty dramatically to the north of campus + west of campus. Thats basically the only downfall. Plenty of restaurants/bars/shopping etc.

photos courtesy phillyskyline.com | yo

Heres some residential of Powelton Village which is the neighboorhood part of Drexel is in.

Market Street looking N into Drexels campus

Hill Field which is the border of UPenn+Drexel

Walnut Street U Penn- 2 blocks from Drexel

Looking towards Center City

U Penn

Old 02-24-2008, 10:32 PM

111 posts, read 286,949 times
Philly is a great city with lots to do. It is a great deal in terms of overall cost of living for a quality urban scene. The art & music scene and museums are particular strong points.

That said, I lived in West Philly and went to Penn for a couple of years. The area is not a good place to walk at night and, in parts, even during the day. It's not real bad, but it's random and weird enough that you'll hardly feel at ease. West Philly is not a place to live -- believe me, I did it and I was coming from Brooklyn.

What Philly has is really great neighborhoods and areas -- like Chinatown or South Street. The problem is that these great little pockets are connected by less desirable areas and neighborhoods. That means walking from place to place can be an issue for anyone who doesn't want to watch their back.

This is much more of an issue in Philly than Manhattan. Parking is a nightmare in Philly, but I really recommend getting a car. It is totally worth the hassle of owning one -- besides there's really great things to do right outside town as well. If you car yourself around, you'll have a blast. Great town.

Old 02-24-2008, 10:39 PM

I probably wouldn't just be walking around alone. If I walked with a friend, would I be much better off? I most likely would anyways though.

Old 02-24-2008, 10:42 PM

Tim,
Thank you for an honest opinion of the University City/West Philly area...I went to school in Watts, LA for 2 years and was never as nervous as I was going to a party at night with my cousin at PCPS...both my cousins had cars at school and 1 had her airbag stolen, the other had 2 or more batteries stolen, windows smashed...which is why I get so confused when all I hear about is sweetness and light from people about this area...

And Rain, my friend was mugged at gunpoint when he went to St. Joe's ...is that the kind of exciting, vibrant and challenging part of college life you were talking about

Old 02-24-2008, 10:44 PM

You'd be better off but do not under any circumstances go to an ATM after dark...talk about sitting ducks...And those photos only tell the rosy side of the story...Penn is always building/tearing up/fixing something so that area of Walnut St always has trucks, construction barriers, workmen, and the ever present smelly steam coming up from manholes...

APPC Building Project
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia