U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2008, 09:03 AM

3,955 posts, read 8,524,883 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by orrmobl View Post
Oh Rain,
Please don't try to use these one-off incidents to bolster you point...I did a super quick google search and came up with an article form 11/14/07..my 37th birthday <sigh>:
I dont have a point.I'm not bolstering anything. I was simply passing along my thoughts on going to college in an urban environment.

The OP is interested in an urban campus. 97 % of the students that go to Drexel will not become a victim of crime. Is it as safe as Villanova or Lehigh? No! But the OP doesnt want to go Villanova or Lehigh to sit in a dorm room or apartment for 4 years, he wants the excitement of living in an actual city.Some of it will be positive, some of it will be negative, but if the OP chooses Drexel he will not be sitting in secluded suburbia for 4 years.

You keep harping on crime but NO One here has been trying to hide the truth, we've all said you have to be aware of your surroundings in the city.

But what about the positives that you have no interest in sharing or no knowledge of its existence ? 600 restaurants and bars in UC and Center City? What about the incredibly diverse student body you have in Drexel and Penn compared to your 99% rich lily white Villanova students? How about being able to jump on your mountain bike , get on the river trail in Center City and ride 20 miles along one of the best recreation trails in the country? How about being able to walk to World Cafe Live or take a bus or cab to a dozen different concert venues in Center City. Try do that that in Villanova. How about being a 10 minute walk to the Philadelphia Museum of Art.Franklin Institute,Rittenhouse Square,Old City,Soceity Hill,South Street.

Drexel can be a great experience but you do need to be aware of your surroundings especially at night.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2008, 10:25 AM

1,623 posts, read 4,305,348 times
If people would post 1/10th the info on crime in the area as they do the benefits, I wouldn't post at all...but they don't so I do.

I'm not sure why everyone posts only the good but the reality is that Philly is a big city and has been ranked the 6th most dangerous large city in the US.

I don't think people nationally are as aware of Philly as they are of other large cities and, much like some rah rah locals, may be lulled into a false sense of security when traveling here...I'm not trying to be alarmist, I'm just trying to counterbalance what I perceive as a bias to report all the city's good (of which there is plenty) while turning a blind eye to the bad (of which there is plenty as well).

Old 02-25-2008, 11:21 AM

2,911 posts, read 4,177,356 times
Quote:

I don't think people nationally are as aware of Philly as they are of other large cities and, much like some rah rah locals, may be lulled into a false sense of security when traveling here...I'm not trying to be alarmist, I'm just trying to counterbalance what I perceive as a bias to report all the city's good (of which there is plenty) while turning a blind eye to the bad (of which there is plenty as well).
I STRONGLY disagree. Whenever you hear about Philly depicted in the national media, it's almost always unnecessarily negative, and it usally takes more of a POSTIVE tone to counterbalance the perceptions that the "Negadelphians" take on this board and in the widespread media. I also completely understand the notion that there are statistically VERY dangerous neighborhoods in Philadelphia, but University City isn't one of them. Is there an alarmingly high violent crime rate in the city overall? Yes, and I've never heard anyone state anything to the contrary. Is violent crime committed randomly? Hardly. Point in case: look at this violent crime rate map for 2007. There is a clear difference in how this crime is dispersed in different areas of the city, and to ignore that fact completely disregards rational judgment. That said, neighborhoods in North Philly are FAR more dangerous than a place like University City:

Violent-Crime Rates in 2007 | Philadelphia Inquirer | 02/01/2008 (http://www.philly.com/inquirer/multimedia/15111656.html - broken link)

Old 02-25-2008, 01:38 PM

All I know is this: 20 years ago, I felt much safer in Watts than in University City. And knowing that the city is more dangerous today than then leads me to believe I would feel even less safe walking around the area and that I would be more likely to encounter some type of crime. I'm not saying "stay out of the city, its dangerous." I'm saying "this city is more dangerous than larger cities, NYC, for example, and therefore be aware that while it may not have the big name, it does have the big dangers."

Old 02-25-2008, 02:05 PM

2,799 posts, read 5,402,885 times
I'm not sure Philadelphia as a whole is more dangerous now than it was in the late 1980's. Portions of Philadelphia almost definitely are, but other portions of Philadelphia definitely are not too.

Old 02-25-2008, 02:22 PM

I agree wholeheartedly.

And I would surmise that West Philadelphia is one of those areas...it seems UC has seen a decline in crimes due to hired partrollers and gentrification but everybody knows if theres easy money to be made, criminals will come in and find a way to get it...It's just sad to see how far the rep and safety of the city has fallen...here's an article from 1997 predicting what we now know to be true...

"Philadelphia is among the safest of the 10 most populous U.S. cities. In the early 1990s, it had the lowest crime rate among the largest cities, according to FBI statistics. But crime in other major cities has dropped dramatically since then, and it has risen in Philadelphia. New York, San Diego and Los Angeles now have lower crime rates than Philadelphia, and that has fueled a debate about the performance of the Police Department.

Old 02-25-2008, 02:31 PM

253 posts, read 807,537 times
Quote:
All I know is this: 20 years ago, I felt much safer in Watts than in University City. And knowing that the city is more dangerous today than then leads me to believe I would feel even less safe walking around the area and that I would be more likely to encounter some type of crime. I'm not saying "stay out of the city, its dangerous." I'm saying "this city is more dangerous than larger cities, NYC, for example, and therefore be aware that while it may not have the big name, it does have the big dangers."

I get what you are saying about the crime in the city. It is a cause for concern and it definitely needs to be reduced in order for this city to reach its full potential but I haven't found it to be to the outragous level to cause someone not to go to school in UC or to live in CC.

I have lived here for 3+ years and I only go to places in CC, OC, QV, BV and on the rare occasion I go to UC or No. Libs and not to jinx myself I have not been mugged. I carry 1k+ purses such as Louis Vuitton, Prada, Fendi, Gucci, Marc Jacobs, etc wear my 4 inch Manolos Blahniks, Jimmy Choos, Christian Louboutins, furs, high end european designer clothing, 3 1/2 carat engagement ring & wedding band 1ct. diamond earrings & expensive watch and diamond neckalace right in CC/OC/ South street/ QV/ BV/ UC/ No. Libs!

I write this to tell you I would be a prime target for a robbery. Do I watch my back you bet I do! Are there times I have felt unsafe? Yeah but it has not been the majority of the time and it has also been times when I've done something stupid like walking home from Denim alone at 3:00a.m because I am too cheap to take a cab. I have stopped doing stupid stuff like that because as a woman alone at that time of the night I am inviting trouble and dressed in the expensive stuff I am wearing at the time some would say I'm begging for it. I realize I have been lucky but I do believe that part of it is that crime is as out of control in the upscale neighborhoods.

All that being said I know many people here and 1 of them has been robbed 3xs since I've been living here. She doesn't live in CC though. One time she was mugged on 10th & arch. I also know someone who lived in UC and she said that there were shootings happening outside of her door. I think she lived on 40 something and Baltimore? I never went to visit her.That being said she felt safe there. Its not something that I would feel safe with but hey to each its own. I write all of this to state my opinion as many have that if you are living and socializing in the good parts of town your chances of being a victim of the crime that plagues the rest of Philadelphia are not that high. Thats not saing it cant happen though b/c it can. You really have to be careful and use common sense.

Old 02-25-2008, 02:58 PM

1. Where's the hubby that helped you buy all that gear?
2. I don't think the thugs know good stuff from bad so I really don't think you are any more of a target and if you're walking around mindful of your surroundings you're probably LESS of a target, good for you!
3. I think all of the areas you mentioned are indeed much safer than UC...it's UC that I would most worry about and its the dumb kids going to school there who get mugged year in and out.
4. Random violence in marginal neighborhoods is exactly my point...and UC fits that description like a glove...

Old 02-25-2008, 03:48 PM

253 posts, read 807,537 times
Quote:
1. Where's the hubby that helped you buy all that gear?
2. I don't think the thugs know good stuff from bad so I really don't think you are any more of a target and if you're walking around mindful of your surroundings you're probably LESS of a target, good for you!
3. I think all of the areas you mentioned are indeed much safer than UC...it's UC that I would most worry about and its the dumb kids going to school there who get mugged year in and out.
4. Random violence in marginal neighborhoods is exactly my point...and UC fits that description like a glove...
Hubby is right here. He works from home a lot. You may be right that thugs don't always know good stuf but some of my items are rather flashy do even the most uninformed person would know it costs a pretty penny. As I stated I rarely got to UC and I don't go to the bad neighborhoods at all.

I am however thinking of obtaining my Ph.d and if I go to a school in UC now that I know more I probably wont dress as flashy. I will leave the furs at home, wear my my shearling or fur lined Yves Saint Laurant (sp) jacket. This jacket doesn't look expensive but it is & I'll carry one of my old Coaches rather than the bags that I'm used to carrying. Most importantly i will be careful as anyone should be. I will either wait in a building or a populated or well lit area until a) my cab arrives or b) My Hubby drives to pick me up. There have been times that I have walked home from UC at night after having dinner with friends at White Dog Cafe.
I now know this is stupid so I wont do this now. I also scuffed up the heels on my Roberto Cavaili shoes doing this.

Old 02-25-2008, 05:42 PM

3,288 posts, read 9,098,114 times
But see, you are woman wearing expensive clothing. I am a male that will wear Hurley, Quiksilver, Vans, etc. You are a much easier target. Plus, if I go out, it will be with a friend in UC. If I move to CC, I will still probably go with friends because I like company wherever I go...except the bathroom like you women. I don't usually carry a lot of money on me. 50 bucks at the most, unless I'm going somewhere to eat. But then, I will just bring a credit card which I can cancel. I would also bring it shopping, not cash. My car will not be flashy whatsoever, maybe just big rims, but the car is a Nissan Xterra. Not a big target to steal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia