U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2016, 07:22 AM

17 posts, read 14,617 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone! Just want to say thanks first to this community. I relocated to Buffalo from NYC about 5 years ago without knowing anyone up here and this community really helped me adapt quickly to a different community. Its finally time for us to leave and start a new chapter.

We are both young professionals. She's attaining her master in Social Work while I have a B.Sc in Mech Eng and plan on attaining my masters. My wife is finishing up here degree next year and, as a result, we are planning to relocate closer to out family who live in Long Island. NYC is too expensive for our taste to live there, but we still want to be close enough to it to travel out to see everyone whenever we want. We also have great friends that live in Lancaster so Philly seems like a nice place to check out.

What we are struggling over is what communities best fit young professionals that are looking for a diverse community, similar to NYC. Being black and educated in Buffalo makes us stick out like a sore thumb at it isn't very comfortable. (Both of us are the only professional minorities at our companies.) We also miss our west Indian culture, food, parties and events, etc. We are very big on experiencing new and different things, restaurants, concerts, plays, museums, etc.
Not knowing where we may work yet, finding a good community for a long term stay is important to us so we can settle in quickly and gives us a starting point for a job search. We both have a decent amount of work experience and don't anticipate much difficulty finding decent jobs. Other important factors:

• Close to mass transit into Philly and out to NYC and airports.
  • Nightlife
  • Shopping
  • Quiet and Safe Community
  • Plenty of work opportunities
So can you help?

When are you moving?
Don't know, that's why I am here.
Where are you coming from?
Born and raised in NYC-Buffalo for about 5 years
Why are you moving?

Closer to family and a more diverse culture.

Where will you be working?

Unsure. She's a social worker and he's a mechanical engineer. Hopefully this helps narrow our job search a bit.

Have you been here yet?
She has a few times. I will visit by the end of this year, and a few more at the beginning of next.

Will you buy or rent?

Rent for now.

If renting, are you looking for an apartment, a townhouse or loft? How much can you spend?
Townhouse would be ideal. We have a 45 lb dog that loves to run. We need a quiet community. She is not a city dog. (Bully breed but she passes for a boxer.) $1600 range is realistic and ideal for us. Of course, less is better, but this is a start.

Do you prefer hi-rise or walk up?
No preference.

Do you have a preference of living in a NJ or PA suburb?
No-Don't care. Actually went to school in Ramsey, NJ!

Are you married or single? Do you have children?
Married. No children.

Do you prefer public or private schools?
Private.

Do you have pets?
One 45 pound dog. American Stafford-shire Terrier-Mix.

Do you want or need a yard?
Yes!!!

Are you keeping a car?
Yes.

Do you prefer bustling activity or calm and quiet?
We prefer living in solitude with chaos a train ride away.

What do you want to be closest to?
Prefer living closes to all of the below. Another one of the main reasons as to us relocating.
  • Work
  • Shopping
  • Basic services (supermarket, drugstore, etc.)
  • Nightlife
  • Train or subway stations
Do you want to live with people of a similar age, race, religion or sexual preference or do you prefer a diverse neighborhood?
Diversity is extremely important.

Coke or Pepsi?

As long as it's called soda and not pop, I'm OK with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2016, 08:55 AM

9,956 posts, read 5,652,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k0hart View Post
Hey everyone! Just want to say thanks first to this community. I relocated to Buffalo from NYC about 5 years ago without knowing anyone up here and this community really helped me adapt quickly to a different community. Its finally time for us to leave and start a new chapter.

We are both young professionals. She's attaining her master in Social Work while I have a B.Sc in Mech Eng and plan on attaining my masters. My wife is finishing up here degree next year and, as a result, we are planning to relocate closer to out family who live in Long Island. NYC is too expensive for our taste to live there, but we still want to be close enough to it to travel out to see everyone whenever we want. We also have great friends that live in Lancaster so Philly seems like a nice place to check out.

What we are struggling over is what communities best fit young professionals that are looking for a diverse community, similar to NYC. Being black and educated in Buffalo makes us stick out like a sore thumb at it isn't very comfortable. (Both of us are the only professional minorities at our companies.) We also miss our west Indian culture, food, parties and events, etc. We are very big on experiencing new and different things, restaurants, concerts, plays, museums, etc.
Not knowing where we may work yet, finding a good community for a long term stay is important to us so we can settle in quickly and gives us a starting point for a job search. We both have a decent amount of work experience and don't anticipate much difficulty finding decent jobs. Other important factors:

• Close to mass transit into Philly and out to NYC and airports.
  • Nightlife
  • Shopping
  • Quiet and Safe Community
  • Plenty of work opportunities
So can you help?

When are you moving?
Don't know, that's why I am here.
Where are you coming from?
Born and raised in NYC-Buffalo for about 5 years
Why are you moving?

Closer to family and a more diverse culture.

Where will you be working?

Unsure. She's a social worker and he's a mechanical engineer. Hopefully this helps narrow our job search a bit.

Have you been here yet?
She has a few times. I will visit by the end of this year, and a few more at the beginning of next.

Will you buy or rent?

Rent for now.

If renting, are you looking for an apartment, a townhouse or loft? How much can you spend?
Townhouse would be ideal. We have a 45 lb dog that loves to run. We need a quiet community. She is not a city dog. (Bully breed but she passes for a boxer.) $1600 range is realistic and ideal for us. Of course, less is better, but this is a start.

Do you prefer hi-rise or walk up?
No preference.

Do you have a preference of living in a NJ or PA suburb?
No-Don't care. Actually went to school in Ramsey, NJ!

Are you married or single? Do you have children?
Married. No children.

Do you prefer public or private schools?
Private.

Do you have pets?
One 45 pound dog. American Stafford-shire Terrier-Mix.

Do you want or need a yard?
Yes!!!

Are you keeping a car?
Yes.

Do you prefer bustling activity or calm and quiet?
We prefer living in solitude with chaos a train ride away.

What do you want to be closest to?
Prefer living closes to all of the below. Another one of the main reasons as to us relocating.
  • Work
  • Shopping
  • Basic services (supermarket, drugstore, etc.)
  • Nightlife
  • Train or subway stations
Do you want to live with people of a similar age, race, religion or sexual preference or do you prefer a diverse neighborhood?
Diversity is extremely important.

Coke or Pepsi?

As long as it's called soda and not pop, I'm OK with it.
I'm black. I live in Spring Garden which is a city neighborhood just north of Center City. It is majority white but there are blacks and, historically, SP has been hispanic(Puerto Rican) many of whom are still present inspite of gentrification. It has, or is close to, much of what you have your list. But it looks like you might be looking for a suburban location. In that case Ardmore, one of the string of suburban towns just west of the city which makes up the Main Line, might interest you. It's fairly diverse and has had blacks living there for decades.

I

Old 10-16-2016, 09:01 AM

2,057 posts, read 4,234,837 times
Ambler might be a good suggestion as well. Perhaps Abington or Cheltenham Townships as well, which would include Glenside, Jenkintown, Elkins Park, or Melrose Park. All of these communities have at least one SEPTA Regional Rail stop.

Old 10-16-2016, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPP1999 View Post
Ambler might be a good suggestion as well. Perhaps Abington or Cheltenham Townships as well, which would include Glenside, Jenkintown, Elkins Park, or Melrose Park. All of these communities have at least one SEPTA Regional Rail stop.

Is SEPTA comparable to the Long Island Rail Road? Does it run 24/7 (relatively) through a majority of the suburban communities around the city?

Old 10-16-2016, 04:45 PM

3,260 posts, read 4,813,326 times
The SEPTA Regional Rail is generally not as reliable as the LIRR, or 24/7, but it is a commuter rail network that covers most of the suburbs.

Old 10-17-2016, 11:00 AM

589 posts, read 278,274 times
I can't help much with towns outside the city but as someone who grew up in Rochester, moved to NYC for 10 years, moved back to Rochester for 10 more years and just moved to philly last year, this town is awesome and culturally, you would be hard-pressed to find a better place to move to.

Good luck.

Old 10-17-2016, 12:02 PM

11,914 posts, read 10,630,284 times
I didn't think the LIRR was 24/7. There's no service from like 2AM to 5AM right?

Old 10-17-2016, 02:46 PM

3,260 posts, read 4,813,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
I didn't think the LIRR was 24/7. There's no service from like 2AM to 5AM right?
Correct! My sentence up there was a bit confusing.

Old 10-17-2016, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redddog View Post
I can't help much with towns outside the city but as someone who grew up in Rochester, moved to NYC for 10 years, moved back to Rochester for 10 more years and just moved to philly last year, this town is awesome and culturally, you would be hard-pressed to find a better place to move to.

Good luck.
Thanks. I was hoping for responses like this. Could you share any major differences you see in Philly from NYC? Trying to get a feel of the community. I don't know anyone from there.

Old 10-17-2016, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotodome View Post
Correct! My sentence up there was a bit confusing.
I stand corrected. LIRR is not 24/7, but still very convenient.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or