Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2016, 12:22 PM

252 posts, read 234,102 times

Advertisements

Been here 3 yrs. 31/F. Trying to figure out how this city can incite such dismay and love within me at the same time and how my opinions on this city can change from day to day or even hour to hour, depending on the situation. It's bizarre and I'm wondering if anyone else feels this way ? It's almost as though it's a living entity with whom I'm (sometimes) ready to break up with but keep coming back for more. I feel this may not be a unique feeling about Philly but tell me if I'm wrong.

Old 10-29-2016, 06:15 PM

10,787 posts, read 8,755,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ionlyused59 View Post
Been here 3 yrs. 31/F. Trying to figure out how this city can incite such dismay and love within me at the same time and how my opinions on this city can change from day to day or even hour to hour, depending on the situation. It's bizarre and I'm wondering if anyone else feels this way ? It's almost as though it's a living entity with whom I'm (sometimes) ready to break up with but keep coming back for more. I feel this may not be a unique feeling about Philly but tell me if I'm wrong.
Nope, you're not alone. I've been ambivalent about this place for years.

Old 10-29-2016, 06:37 PM

1,283 posts, read 2,226,091 times
I liked Philadelphia before I moved here. I've thought it was a deeply interesting city the whole time I've lived here - but haven't really enjoyed living here for most of my 6 years here. I'm likely going to be on my way within two years or so - which helps me out a lot. The things that are interesting are still interesting, I like the things that I like, but the things I don't like are temporary frustrations rather than things I feel I'm trapped with. When I feel like the city does things that are shortsighted in the long-term, it literally should not affect me. So it's hard to get upset by it.

Old 10-29-2016, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FamousBlueRaincoat View Post
I liked Philadelphia before I moved here. I've thought it was a deeply interesting city the whole time I've lived here - but haven't really enjoyed living here for most of my 6 years here. I'm likely going to be on my way within two years or so - which helps me out a lot. The things that are interesting are still interesting, I like the things that I like, but the things I don't like are temporary frustrations rather than things I feel I'm trapped with. When I feel like the city does things that are shortsighted in the long-term, it literally should not affect me. So it's hard to get upset by it.
What are the things you don't like about it?

Old 10-29-2016, 08:30 PM

93 posts, read 96,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
What I don't like is how even gentrifying neighborhoods. Outside of CC, still have blight showing around newly renovated homes. Where Row-homes were lost. Leaves the area choppy and haphazard. Though it is boasted how the block and neighborhood are on the upswing and gentrifying. Too much is left even by the city. To look blighted among gutted totally renovated homes that then cost a few hundred thousand dollars.

Some cities remove the blight before it gentrified. Then till infill comes. It reminds looking good. Then infill completes the process. Just a gentrifying area can still look bad to outsiders in Philly. Especially when housing was lost and some blight remains.

Old 10-29-2016, 09:52 PM

1,283 posts, read 2,226,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
I feel like you and I have gone back and forth on this a lot, both on the board and on PM, and I don't really want to hijack another thread. But to keep it short, the usual: machine politics, lack of vision, a huge portion of neglected city juxtaposed with extreme obsession with the 5-10% of Philadelphia that is the center city area, poor private-sector jobs situation, expensive.

Even more than that, just being older (30, ha) without any particular reason to be here and the humdrum city stuff just getting to me more (loud people, loud cars, loud people in loud cars, etc.) with the benefits providing less enjoyment. I talk a lot about the big cities I have lived in - New York, Twin Cities, and here - but I also spent much time growing up in a small town environment. And I'm fairly certain that at this point in my life I'd be happier in a small city, or even a small town, as long as I can be within walking distance to some really basic things like groceries, and I'm also fairly certain I can get that both rent and mortgage free in Middle America in the not too distant future - which also offers great appeal.

And that'd honestly probably be the case no matter where I lived. A couple years ago I was on the fence, days away from agreeing to move back to NYC when I sort of had a sudden realization I didn't particularly have any great attachments to the big cities of America anymore - and decided just to stay here until my affairs were in order, in a manner of speaking.

Old 10-30-2016, 12:33 AM

783 posts, read 576,386 times
Quote:
I feel like you and I have gone back and forth on this a lot, both on the board and on PM, and I don't really want to hijack another thread. But to keep it short, the usual: machine politics, lack of vision, a huge portion of neglected city juxtaposed with extreme obsession with the 5-10% of Philadelphia that is the center city area, poor private-sector jobs situation, expensive.

Even more than that, just being older (30, ha) without any particular reason to be here and the humdrum city stuff just getting to me more (loud people, loud cars, loud people in loud cars, etc.) with the benefits providing less enjoyment. I talk a lot about the big cities I have lived in - New York, Twin Cities, and here - but I also spent much time growing up in a small town environment. And I'm fairly certain that at this point in my life I'd be happier in a small city, or even a small town, as long as I can be within walking distance to some really basic things like groceries, and I'm also fairly certain I can get that both rent and mortgage free in Middle America in the not too distant future - which also offers great appeal.

And that'd honestly probably be the case no matter where I lived. A couple years ago I was on the fence, days away from agreeing to move back to NYC when I sort of had a sudden realization I didn't particularly have any great attachments to the big cities of America anymore - and decided just to stay here until my affairs were in order, in a manner of speaking.
I think I feel the same way you do at this point in my life. I was born and raised in NYC. I spent a few years in the South Bay area in Cali before returning to NYC. And now, after 8 years of being back, I find that the big city no longer has any appeal for me and I want to move to someplace else. Someplace smaller, maybe the suburbs of a small city. I want to get away from the obnoxious people, the obnoxious city government, the obnoxious big city employees who treat you like dirt with no fear of any consequences, the obnoxious transportation system that you're forced to use and overpay for because of city policies that make owning a car a nightmare (and exorbitant insurance). And that's not to mention the cost of a small apartment being 1000x what it should be.

I have plans to leave, but it won't be for a few more years unfortunately.

Old 10-30-2016, 05:58 AM

2,130 posts, read 1,457,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ionlyused59 View Post
I've been here 48 years, born and raised, live in a good neighborhood, but the thing I can't stand the most is the ghetto trash (and there's a lot of it). Too loud, too aggressive and too disrespectful. My neighborhood is going to be OK, but the day I turn 65 (God willing) - we're gone. Be jealous.

Racial diversity isn't good for everybody.

Old 10-30-2016, 06:14 AM

2,516 posts, read 1,695,368 times
Love the cheesesteaks, recently tried Cleavers. Hate it for the $301 handicapped parking ticket we were issued in a spot that clearly was NOT marked as such. Paid the fine as its not worth the time or effort to fight it as I was advised by an attorney friend.
Was a very expensive ticket but the cheesesteak was awesome. Gotta try Cleavers

Old 10-30-2016, 07:59 AM

Quote:

The only small city I've spent significant time in is Birmingham, Al. Overall the area is improving and its downtown is definitely getting better. But, the drawback for you would be is that its public transportation is inadequate and you'd need a car.

I've also spent lots of time in western Nebraska, in Gering, Scottsbluff and Alliance, because a close friend of mine lives there. Denver is about a 3-4 hour drive away so it's not completely remote but way too remote for me. And people are car dependent. There's no other choice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia