Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2008, 11:02 PM

59 posts, read 136,479 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I have a 1000 channel scanner that I would like to program for the whole Philly region. What states and areas are used for the region? I want to move to Philly but not sure when. Thank you everyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2008, 06:14 AM

691 posts, read 3,059,709 times
The Philly region is comprised of Southeastern PA, Southern NJ, and Northern DE.

Old 02-26-2008, 08:20 AM

59 posts, read 136,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerzBoy View Post
The Philly region is comprised of Southeastern PA, Southern NJ, and Northern DE.

Thank you for your reply. I meant what counties. It's my fault I didn't put that. I wasn't thinking cause it was about 1 or something like that in the morning.

Old 02-26-2008, 08:44 AM

3,520 posts, read 9,235,690 times
The core of the Philadelphia area would include the following counties:

IN PENNSYLVANIA
Philadelphia
Delaware
Bucks
Montgomery
Chester

IN NEW JERSEY
Burlington
Camden
Gloucester

In addition, some of the peripheral counties in the Philadelphia area would include:

IN NEW JERSEY
Cumberland (Vineland, Millville)
Mercer (Trenton)
Salem

IN DELAWARE
New Castle (Wilmington)

IN MARYLAND
Cecil

Some people might disagree about Mercer and Cecil Counties in particular, but I think they are worth including.

There are a few other counties in Pennsylvania and New Jersey that have fairly strong ties with the Philadelphia area but aren't that close to the city itself and would not be considered by most to be part of the Philadelphia area.

Old 02-26-2008, 10:36 AM

2,269 posts, read 7,585,480 times
I might also include Lehigh County in the mix.

Old 02-26-2008, 03:37 PM

13,254 posts, read 33,507,910 times
No! we are not Philadelphia! okay, we do like the Eagles.. and the Phillies... and the Flyers.... but we've got our own thing going on up here. If the Inquirer covered this area I might agree but they never do our schools when they review the PHL area ones and all of the "local" section is not up here at all. The news stations mention the Lehigh Valley when they talk about weather or crime but that's about it.

Old 02-26-2008, 04:39 PM

7,268 posts, read 10,585,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
No! we are not Philadelphia! okay, we do like the Eagles.. and the Phillies... and the Flyers.... but we've got our own thing going on up here. If the Inquirer covered this area I might agree but they never do our schools when they review the PHL area ones and all of the "local" section is not up here at all. The news stations mention the Lehigh Valley when they talk about weather or crime but that's about it.
To be fair, the Inquirer doesn't really cover that much outside of the city period, let alone the Lehigh Valley. If they coverered the suburbs more comprehensively, they'd definitely get a lot more readership.

Old 02-26-2008, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHIP72 View Post
There are a few other counties in Pennsylvania and New Jersey that have fairly strong ties with the Philadelphia area but aren't that close to the city itself and would not be considered by most to be part of the Philadelphia area.
One county I would add to PA is Berks, considering the Census Bureau did technically add it to the CMSA definition. It's not part of the core 5-county PA segment of the region, but based on strong media, commuter, and consumer trends, I think many people around Reading and eastward would consider themselves part of the Philly exurbs.

Old 02-26-2008, 06:24 PM

3,520 posts, read 9,235,690 times
I personally would tend to exclude Berks County from the Philadelphia metro area, just because Reading is a distinct city of decent size (unlike any place in say Cecil County, MD) and is relatively far from Philadelphia (unlike Trenton in Mercer County, NJ or Wilmington in New Castle County, DE). Besides, as is the case with the Lehigh Valley, none of the Philly TV stations care about Reading and news in Berks County is covered by WFMZ (in Allentown) Channel 69's Berks Edition.

Needless to say, the two Lehigh Valley counties and Berks County were among the counties I had in mind when I said there are counties with strong ties to the Philadelphia area but are also relatively far and distinct from the Philadelphia area.

Old 02-26-2008, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHIP72 View Post
I personally would tend to exclude Berks County from the Philadelphia metro area, just because Reading is a distinct city of decent size (unlike any place in say Cecil County, MD) and is relatively far from Philadelphia (unlike Trenton in Mercer County, NJ or Wilmington in New Castle County, DE). Besides, as is the case with the Lehigh Valley, none of the Philly TV stations care about Reading and news in Berks County is covered by WFMZ (in Allentown) Channel 69's Berks Edition.
True. However, although Reading is hardly on Philly's radar, Philly is most definitely on Reading's radar, and -- as someone who grew up in between both cities -- it seems as though that influence as increased significantly, due in no small part to vast suburban development.

That said, areas like the Lehigh Valley, Reading, Lancaster, and Atlantic City -- although not in the immediate sphere of Philly -- are all at the very least at the periphery of Philadelphia's cultural influence, which to me provides a sense of a much larger extended region.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia