U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2008, 08:20 PM

6 posts, read 70,999 times

Advertisements

Hello All,

My husband and I are contemplating moving to the Philadelphia area, specifically Brookhaven. There are great job opportunities for us there (esp. compared to Alabama). Anyway, we were wondering average utility prices for a single family home, 2-3 bedrooms 1-2 baths. Currently we live in a 1515 square foot home with 3 beds/2 baths and spend approximately $350 including power, water, cable, phone, internet, trash. Our power bill is usually about $125 but up to $200 when it's really cold or really hot. Can anyone offer an approximate amount you might spend in a month for those utilities? All other average costs for living in the Brookhaven area seem comparable to what we spend currently. I think we could afford to live in the area based on those numbers, but we have no idea how much utilities will cost us. We need a basis for salary negotiation and this would help us greatly! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2008, 11:21 PM

1,623 posts, read 4,327,361 times
Utilities are all over the place depending on what kind of heat you have, size of your house and age of your house...I'm living in a 2500 sq ft newer constructed house with electric only and we pay about 250 month total for everything but water...thats heat, electricity, stove, and hot water...we like it warm so it averages 70+ degrees here and in the summer it averages 65+ ....

Cable: $75-100+ Satellite: $50-80
Cable Modem or FIOS: $40 DSL:$20+/-
Water: Comparable
Taxes for trash, snow removal:$2-3k a year...

Hope that helps and if you're looking for other places to move to, just post em up and we'll knock em down...

Good Luck!

Last edited by orrmobl; 02-26-2008 at 11:30 PM..

Old 02-27-2008, 04:39 PM

Thanks, that does help. The breakdown you presented actually seems pretty comparable to what we pay now. How many people do their own snow removal vs. paying the city to do it? How much snow does the area typically get during the coldest months? We live in central Alabama where it only snows about an inch every 3 years!

Old 02-27-2008, 05:21 PM

That's street snow removal...you shovel your own sidewalks and parking space if the plows can't get along the curb due to the parked cars...you actually get plowed in and have to shovel out...

Global warming has made snow here pretty scarce lately...we had a few blizzards in 93-94 and another big storm 4-5 years ago...maybe 8+ inches but that hasn't happened in quite a while..this year its been an inch or two...you can sweep and inch up with a broom or just wait til it melts...

Old 02-28-2008, 08:27 PM

So the $2-3k a year for snow removal and trash are purely taxes paid to the city? That's $166-250 a month! Holy crap! That's like paying double my electric bill. Well, that's good to know.

I've landed a job interview in Berwyn, PA with Melmark. So obviously we're still interested in the area. Do you enjoy Philadelphia? Or know anything about Brookhaven?

Old 02-28-2008, 09:20 PM

3,971 posts, read 8,577,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heather80984 View Post
So the $2-3k a year for snow removal and trash are purely taxes paid to the city? That's $166-250 a month! Holy crap! That's like paying double my electric bill. Well, that's good to know.

I've landed a job interview in Berwyn, PA with Melmark. So obviously we're still interested in the area. Do you enjoy Philadelphia? Or know anything about Brookhaven?
Heres a good real estate map of the area to look at. The daily commute from Brookhaven to Berwyn isnt so bad but you could probably do better.West norriton,Upper merion, West Goshen come to mind. Do you mind me asking how you can upon choosing Brookhaven as a place to live?

Pa. Suburban Median Home Prices | Philadelphia Inquirer | 09/19/2007

Brookhaven is a nice, older, quiet, family town of mostly single home cape cods and bungalows( developed in the 50's)most houses are 3br, 1500 sq ft., very safe, not terribly exciting,schools are fine, its an affordable unspectacular solid community. Fast food/walgreens type of town.

I know a family that lives in Brookhaven and they like it very much. It's surrounded 3/4 by solid middle class towns(Aston,Middletown,Nether Providence) but 3 miles to the south is the old industrial city of Chester which has seen better days. From what I hear though there is virtually no crime in Brookhaven. Thats about all I know.If I remember correctly these are the approx taxes for Brookhaven.

Property/school tax-$3000 a year
County tax approx. - $700 a year
Borough tax- probably $400-$500 a year

The snow removal/trash is part of the borough tax.

Good luck.

Old 02-29-2008, 07:28 AM

We came upon Brookhaven using city-data.com. We were looking at a map of PA to find something in fairly equal distance to Berwyn and Philadelphia. My husband is looking at jobs in Philadelphia for Info Tech and Business Financial Analysis. He's found a lot of prospects in that area so far. By looking at city-data, we found median home prices, demographics of the city, crime rates, etc. It seemed like a nice, affordable place to live. We're two twenty-somthings without kids, most of our money going into retirement while we can still afford to. We would just like somewhere safe and affordable, without too long of a commute basically. We currently commute between 20-40 minutes to work, so a commute of that nature wouldn't be a big deal to us. We researched some of the current Brookhaven homes for sale in our price range and found a few we might be interested in. We've not made any definite plans of moving to Brookhaven, but we thought it might be a good starting point when we begin to look for homes. Thanks for suggesting other places to look, I will check them out today and see what I think. The two of you have been so helpful! I'm glad I found the forums!

Old 02-29-2008, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heather80984 View Post
We came upon Brookhaven using city-data.com. We were looking at a map of PA to find something in fairly equal distance to Berwyn and Philadelphia. My husband is looking at jobs in
That makes alot of sense then. Brookhaven would be a good choice as its about 1/2 hour commute to both Philly and Berwyn, and it is safe and affordable. You may also be able to find something in your price range in nearby Wallingford(Nether Providence),Media,Aston,Boothwyn.

Old 03-03-2008, 11:33 PM

There's a saying, "You can be warm in the middle if you stuck your head in the fridge and your butt in the oven at the same time..." I think your commuting rationale is kinda the same - just because its equidistant doesn't mean there aren't better places to live within a few minutes of there...

I was surprised Brookhaven came up as safe as it did and the schools were decent as well because it is bordered on one side by Chester which is PA's most notorious city outside of Philly. The business district through Brookhaven is on the ugly, older, urban looking side of things...it just looks kind of dangerous to me though apparently it is not...

I would look toward Goshen or Media or Ridley Park, Wallingford, Swarthmore, Newtown Square, Broomall, Edgemont, Norwood, Prospect Park, Morton, Folsom, Springfield, maybe Drexel Hill.

A lot of those towns are off of east-west routes like 252, 452, 420, that intersect major north-south routes like I-95, I-476, Baltimore Ave, and Route 1...I would also recommend you rent for a year as the market is in so much flux, you would be able to sample the areas, including where you're living, and get a better price on a house as things finally settle...I'm personally renting and feel very comfortable recommending others do the same for the next 9-12 months...

Old 03-04-2008, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by orrmobl View Post

I was surprised Brookhaven came up as safe as it did and the schools were decent as well because it is bordered on one side by Chester which is PA's most notorious city outside of Philly. The business district through Brookhaven is on the ugly, older, urban looking side of things...it just looks kind of dangerous to me though apparently it is not...
I'll try one more time. Brookhaven is not urban, it is comprised of 85% older single family homes and the rest are newer townhomes. Did it look dangerous to you because maybe you saw a couple african americans from Chester who patronize Brookhaven?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia