Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-28-2016, 09:39 AM

11 posts, read 9,501 times

Advertisements

Hey!

I am moving to Philadelphia in 2017, hopefully during the summer or early fall. I did answer some of the questions in the following relocation survey below.

I have no obligation in terms of being single and having no children. I am currently seeking employment but I am having a difficult time finding anything. From my search it seems as though Philly is the capital of non-profits. I am looking for an entry-level position that pays at least 35-40k. I am willing to travel outside of Philly for employment( 1 hour commute at most). I am willing to pick up a second job if need be.

I am in my early 30s

Because, I will be new to the area, I am looking to start off small with my living arrangements. A studio in a safe area will work just fine until I settle in the Philadelphia area for a year or two/save and possible purchase a home. As I mentioned below, my monthly budget is anywhere between $600-950.00 a month. From what I read on-line, E. Mount Airy may be a good place to start?

When are you moving?
Summer/Early Fall 2017

Where are you coming from?
Southern New England Area

Why are you moving?
Looking for a new city to settle in.

Where will you be working?
In the process of looking for employment

Have you been here yet?
Yes, several years ago.

Will you buy or rent?
Rent and eventually buy.

If buying, are you looking for a house or a condo? How much can you spend?

If renting, are you looking for an apartment, a townhouse or loft? How much can you spend?
I'm open but preferably a studio/ my budget is 600-950.00 a month

Do you prefer hi-rise or walk up?
Open

Do you have a preference of living in a NJ or PA suburb?
(If you answered NJ - post your answers here: http://www.city-data.com/forum/new-j...-philadelphia/)

Are you married or single? Do you have children?
Single/No children

Do you prefer public or private schools?
Do you have pets?
Do you want or need a yard?

Are you keeping a car?
Yes, I will keep my vehicle. Unless, city transportation is 24/7 and or consistent

Do you prefer bustling activity or calm and quiet?
Open

What do you want to be closest to?
Work
Shopping
Basic services (supermarket, drugstore, etc.)

Nightlife
Train or subway stations

Do you want to live with people of a similar age, race, religion or sexual preference or do you prefer a diverse neighborhood?

I am in my 30s, I would prefer a diverse neighborhood, just as long as it is safe!

Coke or Pepsi?

Ginger Ale

Last edited by summer2017; 11-28-2016 at 09:48 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2016, 07:16 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,755,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summer2017 View Post
Hey!

I am moving to Philadelphia in 2017, hopefully during the summer or early fall. I did answer some of the questions in the following relocation survey below.

I have no obligation in terms of being single and having no children. I am currently seeking employment but I am having a difficult time finding anything. From my search it seems as though Philly is the capital of non-profits. I am looking for an entry-level position that pays at least 35-40k. I am willing to travel outside of Philly for employment( 1 hour commute at most). I am willing to pick up a second job if need be.

I am in my early 30s

Because, I will be new to the area, I am looking to start off small with my living arrangements. A studio in a safe area will work just fine until I settle in the Philadelphia area for a year or two/save and possible purchase a home. As I mentioned below, my monthly budget is anywhere between $600-950.00 a month. From what I read on-line, E. Mount Airy may be a good place to start?

When are you moving?
Summer/Early Fall 2017

Where are you coming from?
Southern New England Area

Why are you moving?
Looking for a new city to settle in.

Where will you be working?
In the process of looking for employment

Have you been here yet?
Yes, several years ago.

Will you buy or rent?
Rent and eventually buy.

If buying, are you looking for a house or a condo? How much can you spend?

If renting, are you looking for an apartment, a townhouse or loft? How much can you spend?
I'm open but preferably a studio/ my budget is 600-950.00 a month

Do you prefer hi-rise or walk up?
Open

Do you have a preference of living in a NJ or PA suburb?
(If you answered NJ - post your answers here: http://www.city-data.com/forum/new-j...-philadelphia/)

Are you married or single? Do you have children?
Single/No children

Do you prefer public or private schools?
Do you have pets?
Do you want or need a yard?

Are you keeping a car?
Yes, I will keep my vehicle. Unless, city transportation is 24/7 and or consistent

Do you prefer bustling activity or calm and quiet?
Open

What do you want to be closest to?
Work
Shopping
Basic services (supermarket, drugstore, etc.)

Nightlife
Train or subway stations

Do you want to live with people of a similar age, race, religion or sexual preference or do you prefer a diverse neighborhood?

I am in my 30s, I would prefer a diverse neighborhood, just as long as it is safe!

Coke or Pepsi?

Ginger Ale

Surprised no one has responded. Hmmmmm...

However there's another post from someone with similar requests. It's still an active thread: a 30something looking for a neighborhood on a budget. The suggestions there are good. Check it out.

Old 11-30-2016, 06:54 AM

Thank you for information. I took a look at thread and other EMA area threads and found some useful information. My question is geared more towards employment? Where are the decent paying jobs in philly?

Old 11-30-2016, 07:12 AM

1,213 posts, read 954,937 times
Sorry, but you're not going to find an entry-level non-profit role that compensates around 40k unless your education and/or volunteer experience is exemplary. It is really getting difficult to even break into the non-profit world these days - especially true of Philly non-profits which more often than not are large regional chapters or national headquarters. But to answer your question, most of the non-profits are scattered throughout the city-proper, so anywhere downtown is commutable via public transit.

Old 11-30-2016, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennsport View Post
Sorry, but you're not going to find an entry-level non-profit role that compensates around 40k unless your education and/or volunteer experience is exemplary. It is really getting difficult to even break into the non-profit world these days - especially true of Philly non-profits which more often than not are large regional chapters or national headquarters. But to answer your question, most of the non-profits are scattered throughout the city-proper, so anywhere downtown is commutable via public transit.

Thank you for the response, I should have made myself more clear. I would like a job that isn't in the non-profit field and starts at 35-40k a year.

Old 11-30-2016, 09:16 AM

1,781 posts, read 1,552,553 times
There are a lot of entry level jobs in Philly but in your 30's you are going to be competing with younger and fresh graduates.

What is your background and experience? Are you looking to change your career? Are you looking for any job that starts at 35 - 40K?

Have you considered Boston? You are going to have an advantage in your home turf. I've met some people who think a lot of professional jobs are moving to New England. I don't have the facts but I've read a couple of articles in the press.

Quote:
Originally Posted by summer2017 View Post
Thank you for the response, I should have made myself more clear. I would like a job that isn't in the non-profit field and starts at 35-40k a year.

Old 11-30-2016, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ondoner View Post
There are a lot of entry level jobs in Philly but in your 30's you are going to be competing with younger and fresh graduates.

What is your background and experience? Are you looking to change your career? Are you looking for any job that starts at 35 - 40K?

Have you considered Boston? You are going to have an advantage in your home turf. I've met some people who think a lot of professional jobs are moving to New England. I don't have the facts but I've read a couple of articles in the press.
My background and experience is in the social services field but I am looking to change my career. I'm very close to Boston and that isn't an area I am interested in.
With the exception of Boston, the New England area isn't doing very well. Which is one of the reasons everyone/all businesses are moving tout Boston (better taxes and etc...)

Old 11-30-2016, 09:34 PM

10,787 posts, read 8,755,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ondoner View Post

GE is moving to Boston for one thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia