Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2016, 12:14 PM

1,782 posts, read 1,554,265 times

Advertisements

Good schools and Philly are mutually exclusive.

The less than a handful of good schools (beyond the good physical buildings) don't have open enrollment and so don't bank on getting a spot unless your child is exceptional.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2016, 12:32 PM

377 posts, read 474,726 times
Will you continue to pay state taxes based on your company's NY address (or wherever they are located) or will your home be your office location? If the latter then you're talking about a few thousand dollar difference (annually) between living in Philly vs. outside of the city.

Old 12-19-2016, 12:53 PM

5,546 posts, read 6,874,916 times
Maybe I'm wrong about this, but seems a lot of people are making assumptions. With no debt and $99k, it's do-able, but it depends on a bunch of things.

1. How large of a place are you looking for? And in what condition?
2. Do you have a vehicle? If so, are you looking for parking?
3. Are you looking to buy or rent? If you're looking to buy and you want good schools, Center City will likely be out of the question unless you want something really really small (700 square feet?).

I'm sure you can do it, but there are going to be constraints. I find that paying for a house is cheaper in the long run, but a neighborhood with good schools is not easy, at least in the core of the city. If so, expect to pay a lot of money ($500/square foot in Center City or a little less in Bella Vista (Meredith school)). Then add in the costs of a child (or two?).

Edit: And with the wage tax, you're looking to take home a bit less ($4,800?/month). Of course, there's your girlfriend's salary, but it depends on what she makes and if you can rely on that.

Last edited by AJNEOA; 12-19-2016 at 01:08 PM..

Old 12-19-2016, 02:52 PM

2,502 posts, read 4,436,759 times
No offense to OP, but I doubt there's any major city in the USA were you can't raise a family on a hundred grand salary. You telling me that all 8,000,000 people in the five boroughs are all in families making a hundred grand?

The catch is that people want to make a hundred grand but live like they think they deserve, whatever that is.

So yes, you can easily live in Philly on a hundred grand. Have your wife stay home and make sure your kids are smart, so they get into Masterman or wherever school. You can have a nice in Philly.

Old 12-19-2016, 03:39 PM

15 posts, read 32,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonPanther View Post
No offense to OP, but I doubt there's any major city in the USA were you can't raise a family on a hundred grand salary. You telling me that all 8,000,000 people in the five boroughs are all in families making a hundred grand?

The catch is that people want to make a hundred grand but live like they think they deserve, whatever that is.

So yes, you can easily live in Philly on a hundred grand. Have your wife stay home and make sure your kids are smart, so they get into Masterman or wherever school. You can have a nice in Philly.

Fair point. Thanks everyone for the input. Any suggestions for alternate suburbs outside of Lower Merion school district and wayne-radnor school districts?

I assume there has to be some good school districts in close proximity north/south of philly.

Old 12-19-2016, 03:48 PM

9,380 posts, read 9,338,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsclaw88 View Post
Fair point. Thanks everyone for the input. Any suggestions for alternate suburbs outside of Lower Merion school district and wayne-radnor school districts?

I assume there has to be some good school districts in close proximity north/south of philly.
Rose Tree Media School District in Media PA is essentially on par with LM, and Wallingford-Swarthmore the same.

West Chester area offers excellent schools with a downtown as well, but further out from the city, and no direct train access to the city either.

Media I think is the best option for families outside of the city. The only thing LM has over Media area is the slightly easier commute into Philadelphia. But Media offers a better downtown, more spacious/more housing options, less congested, less expensive, amazing public schools and usually an easy commute to Philadelphia.

There are tons of other excellent school districts in the area, but those towns are more typical suburbs where you have to drive everywhere, I just listed 3 well known areas that offer more character and a walkable downtown.

Old 12-19-2016, 04:50 PM

2,130 posts, read 1,458,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsclaw88 View Post
Oh I work from home, so location does not matter to me.

As far as what I am looking for from Philadelphia, just something similar to NYC in that I can walk around safely and check out a bunch of boutique shops and little new restaurants/bakeries. It also would be nice if its close (within relative walking distance ~ a mile or so) to some sort of large green space park.
I recommend Olde City for you.

Old 12-20-2016, 06:32 AM

1,943 posts, read 1,489,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2002 Subaru View Post
I recommend Olde City for you.
That would be pretty tough on a $99K income with kids though.

Old 12-20-2016, 08:08 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,759,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin1813 View Post
Spruce Hill has a good school district and is within city limits. Your budget could get a nice 2 bedroom apartment if you're looking for that.
If you mean the Sadie Alexander School, it 's still part of the School Dist. of Phila. Living in school catchment no longer guarantees enrollment in that school.

Old 12-20-2016, 08:15 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,759,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
Sounds like Center City then. Washington Square West, Old City, Rittenhouse. Lots of shopping, dining and unique offerings. Those are the most expensive neighborhoods though, so obviously renting is the best way to start. Only issue with the city is the overall terrible public schools.

You could opt for suburban communities with a downtown, but they may be too quiet if you are looking for a NYC vibe.
Actually all of the neighborhoods you listed before will fit what they are looking for. And some, like Fairmount/Spring Garden/ lower Francisvile, are next door to CC. Keep in mind that the newest Whole Foods in the city is in Fairmount.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia