U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2017, 05:20 PM

20,533 posts, read 25,744,569 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by timeEd32 View Post
Need a Wegmans somewhere in Lower Merion or immediate surrounding area, then I'd be really happy.
How busy are the nearest Wegmans? Unless they are busy enough to need another store to take up the slack, I don't see that happening for at least 5 years. They just opened in Richmond & they're planning to go into the Raleigh/Chapel Hill area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2017, 06:13 PM

1,281 posts, read 446,306 times
I think the Acme and Whole Foods right across from each other is a better option for me than the Rittenhouse Market.

Old 01-03-2017, 07:22 PM

330 posts, read 256,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
How busy are the nearest Wegmans? Unless they are busy enough to need another store to take up the slack, I don't see that happening for at least 5 years. They just opened in Richmond & they're planning to go into the Raleigh/Chapel Hill area.
I have no idea - just moved here. The nearest Wegmans is in KoP - I would imagine it does very well given its location. I can't complain too much - we are less than 10 minutes from Trader Joe's, Whole Foods, Giant, and Aldi so plenty of options.

Old 01-03-2017, 07:32 PM

1,281 posts, read 446,306 times
Quote:
I have no idea - just moved here. The nearest Wegmans is in KoP - I would imagine it does very well given its location. I can't complain too much - we are less than 10 minutes from Trader Joe's, Whole Foods, Giant, and Aldi so plenty of options.
Love the Giant supermarket but nowhere near it

Old 01-03-2017, 09:35 PM

16 posts, read 10,320 times
I live in Manayunk.

We go to Wegman's in KOP pretty frequently. We like going on Sunday during Eagles games, in particular. I have never felt like it was super crowded or anything. I have borderline panic attacks at the Whole Foods/Trader Joe's downtown from how little space there is to move.

The Fresh Market in Chestnut Hill is a decent supermarket and avoids the downtown rush. Easily the best supermarket in NW Philly.

Old 01-03-2017, 09:38 PM

20,533 posts, read 25,744,569 times
Quote:
Wegmans has a page on their website telling where they are building in the foreseeable future. I think that they're primarily building in Virginia right now. I think that they have 3 sites in & near Raleigh. Whether they're scheduled, I can't tell you. At this point, I suspect they have to decide how far south they intend to go, because one of these years they'll have to decide if they're going to build a 2nd distribution center & where to place it.

They built the Wegmans in Cherry Hill & it was many years before they built in Mt Laurel. They move at their own speed.

Old 01-04-2017, 12:32 AM

3,666 posts, read 1,780,395 times
Have you also noticed that Wegmans stores are enormous?

And they have product mixes that resemble the inverse of a non-Supercenter Walmart (i.e., they carry housewares and domestics where the ordinary Walmart sells some food)?

They may have more Walmarts than Wegmans abroad in the land, but neither of them are sprinkled like salt all over. You don't need too many of those stores to serve a good-sized population.

But wait. The KofP Wegmans is the only one in the Philly 'burbs, right?

kyb01: The former Pathmarks that weren't immediately snapped up in the initial round of store auctions are slowly being reabsorbed into the supermarket bloodstream. Two of them have reopened as Fresh Grocer stores in the last six months, and I believe there's at least one other FG conversion in the works. The one in Germantown is now an independent affiliated with IGA.

Wonder if anyone will move into the one at North Philadelphia Station?

Old 01-04-2017, 07:05 AM

8,221 posts, read 4,414,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Thanks. The Rittenhouse Market has been there forever. I wondered why it wasn't being mentioned. I knew that the tiny little old Acme at 15th & Spruce closed years ago. God, that place must have been from the 30s or 40s.

Pathmark brought full size supermarkets into the city. I would hope that they've all been repurposed.

Has the city attempted to lure supermarkets into signing up for a spot in new construction?
I mentioned the Rittenhouse Market a couple of times. And, yeah, it's been there since forever.

There's a CVS where that old Acme used to be.

Old 01-04-2017, 07:51 AM

6,564 posts, read 7,316,862 times
Quote:
Need a Wegmans somewhere in Lower Merion or immediate surrounding area, then I'd be really happy.
They could run 24 hours and print their own money with a store at Broad and Washington.

Old 01-04-2017, 08:33 AM

4,873 posts, read 4,519,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
Have you also noticed that Wegmans stores are enormous?

And they have product mixes that resemble the inverse of a non-Supercenter Walmart (i.e., they carry housewares and domestics where the ordinary Walmart sells some food)?

They may have more Walmarts than Wegmans abroad in the land, but neither of them are sprinkled like salt all over. You don't need too many of those stores to serve a good-sized population.

But wait. The KofP Wegmans is the only one in the Philly 'burbs, right?

kyb01: The former Pathmarks that weren't immediately snapped up in the initial round of store auctions are slowly being reabsorbed into the supermarket bloodstream. Two of them have reopened as Fresh Grocer stores in the last six months, and I believe there's at least one other FG conversion in the works. The one in Germantown is now an independent affiliated with IGA.

Wonder if anyone will move into the one at North Philadelphia Station?
There is a Wegmans in KoP, Malvern, Collegeville, Warrington, and the newest one is in Glen Mills. There may be another somewhere in Montgomery County, but I forget.

Wegmans is very strategic and only opens new construction large footprint stores in high-income zipcodes, nothing like Walmarts business model.
So a Wegmans anywhere in the city of Philadelphia will never happen due to the lack of space and high amount of poverty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia