U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2017, 08:38 AM

389 posts, read 199,882 times

Advertisements

I'd love it if they built a weggies in the wasteland between old city and northern libs. It would kill there. But they do well everywhere. We do the cherry Hill store about twice a month and they are always packed.

I'm originally from Rochester (the birthplace of wegmans) where they have about a dozen locations. Everyone of them does well. They really know what they're doing. I once heard from a higher-up in the organization that they are shifting their focus to the melennial demographic - prepared foods etc. Seems like Philly would fit right into that plan and could easily handle another location within center city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2017, 08:39 AM

330 posts, read 257,092 times
Also why it seems unlikely one will land in Ardmore or nearby as there isn't a ton of space for new construction. It was the same issue where I lived in North Jersey.

Old 01-04-2017, 08:39 AM

20,561 posts, read 25,778,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
Have you also noticed that Wegmans stores are enormous?

And they have product mixes that resemble the inverse of a non-Supercenter Walmart (i.e., they carry housewares and domestics where the ordinary Walmart sells some food)?

They may have more Walmarts than Wegmans abroad in the land, but neither of them are sprinkled like salt all over. You don't need too many of those stores to serve a good-sized population.

But wait. The KofP Wegmans is the only one in the Philly 'burbs, right?

kyb01: The former Pathmarks that weren't immediately snapped up in the initial round of store auctions are slowly being reabsorbed into the supermarket bloodstream. Two of them have reopened as Fresh Grocer stores in the last six months, and I believe there's at least one other FG conversion in the works. The one in Germantown is now an independent affiliated with IGA.

Wonder if anyone will move into the one at North Philadelphia Station?
Wegmans all but skipped Philadelphia, leaving stores in Cherry Hill & King of Prussia. They've been building in Maryland & Virginia for years. They did come back to put a store jn Mt Laurel. They only build 2 or 3 stores per year.

Old 01-04-2017, 08:57 AM

4,896 posts, read 4,529,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Wegmans all but skipped Philadelphia, leaving stores in Cherry Hill & King of Prussia. They've been building in Maryland & Virginia for years. They did come back to put a store jn Mt Laurel. They only build 2 or 3 stores per year.

They have a strong presence in SEPA, there's at least 5 of them, and like I said they are very strategic with store placement, so people need to get he idea of a Wegmans coming to Philadelphia out of their head for a looong time.

Old 01-04-2017, 09:01 AM

11,831 posts, read 9,858,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
They have a strong presence in SEPA, there's at least 5 of them, and like I said they are very strategic with store placement, so people need to get he idea of a Wegmans coming to Philadelphia out of their head for a looong time.
They have a store coming to the Brooklyn Navy Yard-so I'd say anything is possible.

They'd be foolish to ignore the city completely. I could see a Wegman's in Northeast/Northwest Philly or closer to downtown Broad and Washington is a great suggestion.

Quote:
Wegmans is very strategic and only opens new construction large footprint stores in high-income zipcodes, nothing like Walmarts business model.
So a Wegmans anywhere in the city of Philadelphia will never happen due to the lack of space and high amount of poverty.

Brooklyn has a higher poverty rate than Philadelphia, and space probably more of a premium. Things seem to be changing as Wegman's continues to expand. There are many locations that do not seem to fit the "high income only" criteria, especially throughout PA and NY-Bethlehem/Allentown, Erie, Rochester, Buffalo, etc. Everybody eats!

Last edited by 2e1m5a; 01-04-2017 at 09:10 AM..

Old 01-04-2017, 09:11 AM

116 posts, read 87,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redddog View Post
I once heard from a higher-up in the organization that they are shifting their focus to the melennial demographic - prepared foods etc. Seems like Philly would fit right into that plan and could easily handle another location within center city.
Agreed. As much as Wegman's thrives on the traditional suburban floorplan, if they truly want to target Millennials, then they're going to have to look at denser urban locations, because by and large that's where the Millennials are. It's not a demographic that's drawn to auto-centric strip malls.

Old 01-04-2017, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Initially, at least 10 years ago, they dropped 2 stores & moved on. 2 or 3 years ago they were looking at converting the now abandoned CBS records/Sony plant in Pitman into a Wegmans. They opted to build new in Mt Laurel. When the other Pennsylvania stores were built, I don't know.

Wegmans should look at some sites in Philadelphia. They are moving south & will need a 2nd distribution center. They have to figure out how far south they want to go for now, & how many additional stores they want in the Philadelphia market. Next year they start competing with Publix in Richmond. Publix is moving north while Wegmans moves south. Kroger is already in Virginia. Kroger acquired Harris Teeter, which brought them into southern Delaware. Kroger attempted to do an acquisition with or from A&P. The only presence that Kroger has in Philadelphia is Litmans, which they use in their Kroger Marketplace stores.

It's not all about high incomes. Everyone has to buy food. Some other chain will likely enter the Philadelphia market, which includes South Jersey & northern Delaware, within the next 5 or 6 years. Lidl will be the first to enter, within 2 years.

Old 01-04-2017, 10:25 AM

8,240 posts, read 4,431,359 times
Quote:
Other than their home town, do they ever put stores in actual cities not satelite "cities" like KoP?

Old 01-04-2017, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
I mentioned the Rittenhouse Market a couple of times. And, yeah, it's been there since forever.

There's a CVS where that old Acme used to be.
I had just seen the mention of the Rittenhouse Market. That's why I thought that a grocery thread would be helpful. There's plenty of information squirreled away on this board, but it's all over the place.

Thanks concerning what replaced the old Acme.

Old 01-04-2017, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
Other than their home town, do they ever put stores in actual cities not satelite "cities" like KoP?
Check their website for locations. It's been a while since I looked, & I'm using my phone right now, so there's the data issue. I know that they've selected a site in Raleigh. They may be rethinking the suburban thing, since they are, apparently, going for Brooklyn.

Lidl's US entry will make a big difference. My guess is that Kroger or Publix will be heading for Philadelphia within a few years. Ahold is going to have their hands full trying to deal with Food Lion, now that they've merged with Delhaize. I wouldn't look for more Giant stores for a good long time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia