U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 08:25 PM

3,788 posts, read 1,832,579 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
I only made that distinction because Google Maps had the neighborhood of Cedarbrook shown on the map.
I live in the far SW, so it's all Mount Airy to me

Heck, I can't tell you how perturbed my friends or people I met from "up there" would be when I'd say dismissively: "Mt. Airy, Oak Lane, Germantown, whatever. It's all up there together." Honest to G-d, I was well into my 30s before I finally remembered which was where. A friend who lives in Mount Airy finally broke it down, and I cared enough to try to remember....basically she said, "Think east and west of Germantown Ave., and east and west of Broad. Mt Airy straddles Germantown. Oak Lane straddles Broad" Oh, OK I got it. I am however still working on differentiating Port Richmond, Bridesburg, and Frankford.

But I gather that folks in the far NE, don't know much about SW either. This from the person who is quick to ask people lumping all of SW together, "where do you mean in SW?, and point out that, "no, Eastwick IS NOT Kingsessing!!
Further distinction:

Stenton Avenue separates Germantown and Mt. Airy from West Oak Lane and "Cedarbrook".

Washington Lane separates Germantown from Mt. Airy, and Cresheim Creek separates Mt. Airy from Chestnut Hill. All three of these neighborhoods straddle Germantown Avenue, and each has an east and a west side, though you never hear people speak of "East Chestnut Hill" or "West Chestnut Hill" the way they speak of East and West Mt. Airy or East Germantown and Germantown (no West).

Port Richmond lies north of the former Reading Raliroad tracks leading to the Port Reading piers - that wide railroad right-of-way beneath which the junkies sleep - and stretches from Frankford and Torresdale avenues on the west to the Delaware on the east. Bridesburg lies above Port Richmond on the opposite side of Frankford Creek, which separates it from Port Richmond. The ex-Rohm and Haas (now Dow) chemical plant and I-95 separate it from Frankford, whose southern boundary is also Frankford Creek.

Frankford extends as far east as !-95. as far west as Roosevelt Boulevard, and north as far as Bridge Street. Above that on Frankford Avenue, you're in Wissinoming.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 12:52 PM

20,722 posts, read 25,924,112 times
The weekly specials are labeled "surprises" in Lidl. When a store is going to open, they put aside an allotment for the store for a week or two. When the Delaware County store opens next week there will be more than just next week's allotment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia