U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2019, 11:56 AM

6,444 posts, read 6,839,222 times

Advertisements

Dare I throw another name into the mix....

I was away from the area when this chain started (and faded). Did Food Lion or Delhaize ever put any of their short-lived Bloom supermarkets in any of the Philly suburbs, even farther out?

There was one not toooo far from me in the DC exurbs in MD. I liked the store. They weren't around long.
Just wondered is any were ever near Philly, or how close they were.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2019, 12:51 PM

4,152 posts, read 2,009,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
OK. I was already familiar with Giant of Landover, having worked in Baltimore County in Maryland when Acme moved out and Giant of Landover moved in.
Hmmm. Then Ahold Delhaize may still be competing against itself.

Giant Food Stores LLC of Carlisle does business in Maryland under the Martin's name. I believe there are Martin's stores in Metro Baltimore.

Old 02-07-2019, 02:03 PM

21,170 posts, read 26,391,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
Hmmm. Then Ahold Delhaize may still be competing against itself.

Giant Food Stores LLC of Carlisle does business in Maryland under the Martin's name. I believe there are Martin's stores in Metro Baltimore.
They sold off the Martins stores in Richmond to Publix. They were given a number of stores to close. I think that most of the closed stores were Food Lions.

Old 02-07-2019, 02:09 PM

21,170 posts, read 26,391,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
Dare I throw another name into the mix....

I was away from the area when this chain started (and faded). Did Food Lion or Delhaize ever put any of their short-lived Bloom supermarkets in any of the Philly suburbs, even farther out?

There was one not toooo far from me in the DC exurbs in MD. I liked the store. They weren't around long.
Just wondered is any were ever near Philly, or how close they were.
Bloom was another failed variant of Food Lion. They appealed to people who hated Food Lion, for the most part.

Old 02-07-2019, 03:29 PM

287 posts, read 130,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
https://www.philly.com/news/giant-fo...-20190206.html

Giant is majorly expanding into Philadelphia! Great new locations.

U City, Queen Village and NoLibs
The Northern Liberties one is a stupid location. It is literally a block south of Acme. Total redundancy.

Old 02-07-2019, 04:43 PM

6,444 posts, read 6,839,222 times
Giant versus Acme is no choice -- Giant wins hands down.
Granted, this won't be a full-fledged suburban foot-print style Giant, but still it's better than ACME.

Old 02-07-2019, 05:28 PM

353 posts, read 325,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
Giant versus Acme is no choice -- Giant wins hands down.
Granted, this won't be a full-fledged suburban foot-print style Giant, but still it's better than ACME.
Agree. Also, a lot of NL residents walk frequently since parking is so bad. Unless you have a garage, once you park in NL, you do everything in your power to keep your car where it is. Not only is the Giant several blocks closer (more southern) to where the majority of the neighborhood lives, it appears that the entrance will be right off the sidewalk and in the middle of numerous apartments. I think it will do well.

Old Today, 09:33 PM

5,219 posts, read 5,132,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennsport View Post
Agree. Also, a lot of NL residents walk frequently since parking is so bad. Unless you have a garage, once you park in NL, you do everything in your power to keep your car where it is. Not only is the Giant several blocks closer (more southern) to where the majority of the neighborhood lives, it appears that the entrance will be right off the sidewalk and in the middle of numerous apartments. I think it will do well.
No question. Acme sucks. Expensive and checkout lanes suck. Old school grocery that hopefully dies off and is replaced by something better. I think Giant will do great in NL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia