U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-21-2019, 07:06 AM

5,718 posts, read 5,108,901 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
Media/Marple would be nice. But there's one in Concordville/Glen Mills area. And they usually don't put stores but so close to one another. Although some how South Jersey seems to have a couple. Not that they're THAT close to each other but closer than I have any near to me near close in Delco. (Sharon Hill, Collingdale, Glenolden, Holmes Norwood, Flocroft, Secane), Season, Lansdowne. The arm pit of DelCo. You have to get to Springfield/Media/DexelHill/Brookhaven for any decent options.

Not really but it just seems that way.
Springfield would have been a good option if there was a plot land large enough. That would serve a large portion of Delaware County (the half that isn't served by the one in Glen Mills).

There is also a void on the Main Line, Ardmore / Bala Cynwyd would be a good central spot.

And if you look at the Wegmans on Google Maps, how they are placed in the region, a logical pinpoint would be right over Newtown Square to fill that gap, but that might monopolize the newly opened whole Foods.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2019, 07:11 AM

4,962 posts, read 2,415,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
Springfield would have been a good option if there was a plot land large enough. That would serve a large portion of Delaware County (the half that isn't served by the one in Glen Mills).

There is also a void on the Main Line, Ardmore / Bala Cynwyd would be a good central spot.

And if you look at the Wegmans on Google Maps, how they are placed in the region, a logical pinpoint would be right over Newtown Square to fill that gap, but that might monopolize the newly opened whole Foods.
I don't think Wegmans would be as great a threat to that Whole Foods as you fear.

WFM appeals to a specialized and well-defined segment of the grocery market. Shoppers who share its values wouldn't gravitate towards a general supermarket like Wegmans even if it carried lots of the kinds of products WFM carries because WFM selects foods to sell based on a highly publicized, well defined and pretty restrictive set of standards - notice how you see almost none of the big national brands in a WFM store.

Edited to add after a few minutes' reflection: I will grant, though, that there is a segment of the WFM customer base that Wegmans could pick off: those who shop Whole Foods simply because it carries a wide range of specialty foods and/or foods that are (or that they perceive as) higher in quality than those sold at most regular supermarkets. Wegmans actually carries lots of those items too, and at prices that match or beat Whole Foods'. Those who don't care as much about what goes into what they buy yet shop WFM could be lured to Wegmans.

Old 02-21-2019, 07:54 AM

390 posts, read 524,822 times
Default Whole Foods vs. Wegman's

I don't think it matters too much how close Whole Foods would be to Wegman's. They check off the wealth of the area they're going to - and there they are.

Last year in Lancaster a Whole Foods opened in a new shopping center along the Route 30 "beltway" edging Lancaster City and the next exit had a Wegman's open in a new shopping center. Five minutes drive away, max. In the months these grocery stores have been open, I've not seen business slack off for either. I'm sure it would be the same with main line Wegman's and Whole Foods; and, yes, I think the customer base is pretty much the same... non-GMO foods, hormone free milk, etc. Just my observation

Old 02-21-2019, 08:00 AM

187 posts, read 113,330 times
Quote:
The Wegman's in Glen Mills is literally around the corner from the Whole Foods on 202, and they built that store after the WFM had been established in that area for several years. So Wegman's clearly doesn't care much about other competition being nearby.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
Edited to add after a few minutes' reflection: I will grant, though, that there is a segment of the WFM customer base that Wegmans could pick off: those who shop Whole Foods simply because it carries a wide range of specialty foods and/or foods that are (or that they perceive as) higher in quality than those sold at most regular supermarkets. Wegmans actually carries lots of those items too, and at prices that match or beat Whole Foods'. Those who don't care as much about what goes into what they buy yet shop WFM could be lured to Wegmans.
I think the Wegman's / WFM crossover is greater than a lot of people think. You're right about the specialty products, and Wegman's also has a large organic section that can hit some of the same beats that WFM does. Wegman's doesn't have quite the same focus, but they're not bad, and if you look for it you can get a lot of the same stuff (or comparable) as you'd get at WFM.

That said, it's interesting you mention national brands, because Wegman's doesn't have a lot of them, either. Much of what Wegman's carries is branded under their in-house label.

Old 02-22-2019, 10:32 AM

41 posts, read 8,654 times
Quote:
And they usually don't put stores but so close to one another. Although some how South Jersey seems to have a couple.
The only two Wegmans in South Jersey are in Cherry Hill and Mt. Laurel, which are actually ten miles apart, but both are large stores. The Wegmans and Whole Foods in Glen Mills likely pulls some traffic from Northern Wilmington/Delaware as Delaware lacks those stores. When I was pondering of moving to Wilmington area, I looked that certain shopping of mine might need to be done in PA.

The Wegmans in Cherry Hill takes in a lot of shoppers, that I think the Ravitz family of ShopRites quickly realized it couldn't operate two stores in west Cherry Hill with Wegmans not too far away. The Ravitz family decided to operate just one store instead. The news on that site is the 1445 Brace Rd. Cherry Hill former ShopRite will become an Asian market this year.
https://www.courierpostonline.com/st...co/2571391002/

One another note about the Cherry Hill Wegmans area: A Costco is planned in Cherry Hill close to the out of service currently NJ Transit Atlantic City Line, as well as a Trader Joes in the Towne Place at Garden State Park. It will be interesting in a way that Wegmans will be in the Market Place at Garden State Park while Trader Joes at the Towne Place, as both are really the same center owned/managed by M&M Realty. Six word names for two centers, is too much for a name for the shopping center.

There was reports that Amazon/WF was looking into closed Sears locations. Wegmans also has looked into former department stores, as it did in Montgomery Mall. I'd like to see better grocery options in Deptford and the former Sears site might be an option. Deptford seems dominated in Wal-Mart Supercenter territory, and has a lot of discount shopping centers. Two large super Walmarts are within close distance to the mall area, but the mall itself has some strengths and a there are upper income people who bought homes closer to Deptford than around Cherry Hill-Marlton-Mt.Laurel radius.

However, I think Wegmans might be done with the Philly area with growth.

Maybe Sprouts would be the best option for expecting a new grocery store in general, as it is expanding now in the Philly area.

In South Jersey, Sprouts passed on the Moorestown Mall as PREIT wanted it originally as a tenant (partial tenant to replace macy's site), where it would be coincidentally right middle in between the Cherry Hill and Mt.Laurel Wegmans/Costco, and competition from three Mt. Laurel ShopRites, but all are smaller than the Marlton one. Instead, it went with a site in Marlton in the busy/congested 73 area, as Burlington Coat Factory decided to downsize it's store. Marlton has a different competitive dynamic, with one ShopRite that gets a lot of business, and then less conventional Aldi, Trader Joes, Whole Foods and Rastelli Market Fresh. Sprouts likely figured it could pull in more business in Marlton, than being in an area where people are halfway and close enough to two large Wegmans, even though it's product selection likely competes more with WF, Trader Joes and Rastelli than ShopRite per se.

One question I've wondered
-Why is it when an Aldi or Lidl or before it was Bottom Dollar Food opens, it's picketed, but when a super Walmart, Dollar Tree, Trader Joes or any non union other grocery store opens, it's not?
-Does the picketing ever work? I've never seen a store not open because of it.

Last edited by g555; 02-22-2019 at 11:02 AM..

Old 02-22-2019, 11:41 AM

6,884 posts, read 7,284,046 times
Quote:
A Costco is planned in Cherry Hill close to the out of service currently NJ Transit Atlantic City Line,

That would put a Costco in Cherry Hill, and Moorestown/MtLaurel.
And they already have the Wegmans in those places as well, Cherry Hill, and Moorestown/MtLaurel.

The Philly side of the River may have King of Prussia. But I sure wish some parts on the Philly suburbs had better grocery store options.

Old 02-22-2019, 11:50 AM

Quote:
That would put a Costco in Cherry Hill, and Moorestown/MtLaurel.
And they already have the Wegmans in those places as well, Cherry Hill, and Moorestown/MtLaurel.

The Philly side of the River may have King of Prussia. But I sure wish some parts on the Philly suburbs had better grocery store options.
There is a Costco in Glen Mills though. Glen Mills has a very high concentration of grocery stores, then other areas of the county are limited.

Old 02-22-2019, 01:17 PM

41 posts, read 8,654 times
Sears was on the verge of extinction but got a last minute reprieve. When it eventually closes, I've wondered if the Granite Run Sears could be redeveloped where it is or part of it is a new grocer.

However, there is an Acme that is somewhat on site but I'm not sure exactly it's relation if it's actually on the mall site, or adjacent site, and thus it has veto power via it's lease to prevent another food grocery. It reminds me a little like Audubon Crossings, former Blackhorse Shopping Center, where a legacy Acme lingers around the site to this day.

Also Springfield is unique in that it has two Targets. I've wondered a little why Target doesn't want to get more into grocery in the Philly area via Super Target, or other model, although from what I've read, Target isn't that successful with it's Super Target model.

Lastly, macy's is one store that is closing stores as well. I don't think it will necessarily close Springfield Mall, but it already purged Suburban Square, Plymouth, Neshaminy, Moorestown and Voorhees which helped propped up other nearby macy's.

I don't really see Wegmans say buying out the Springfield macy's, but if macy's closed on it's own volition, to help steer more traffic to King of Prussia and Christiana/ Concord Mall macy's sites, it could be a plot of land worthy maybe for Wegmans. (probably macy's at Exton is more likely in danger between the two though, but I still would peg both at slim chances as of now).

Old 02-22-2019, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by g555 View Post
Sears was on the verge of extinction but got a last minute reprieve. When it eventually closes, I've wondered if the Granite Run Sears could be redeveloped where it is or part of it is a new grocer.

However, there is an Acme that is somewhat on site but I'm not sure exactly it's relation if it's actually on the mall site, or adjacent site, and thus it has veto power via it's lease to prevent another food grocery. It reminds me a little like Audubon Crossings, former Blackhorse Shopping Center, where a legacy Acme lingers around the site to this day.

Also Springfield is unique in that it has two Targets. I've wondered a little why Target doesn't want to get more into grocery in the Philly area via Super Target, or other model, although from what I've read, Target isn't that successful with it's Super Target model.

Lastly, macy's is one store that is closing stores as well. I don't think it will necessarily close Springfield Mall, but it already purged Suburban Square, Plymouth, Neshaminy, Moorestown and Voorhees which helped propped up other nearby macy's.

I don't really see Wegmans say buying out the Springfield macy's, but if macy's closed on it's own volition, to help steer more traffic to King of Prussia and Christiana/ Concord Mall macy's sites, it could be a plot of land worthy maybe for Wegmans. (probably macy's at Exton is more likely in danger between the two though, but I still would peg both at slim chances as of now).
Sears day are numbered, so that huge building at Granite Run is has potential for some sort of retail. I personally would rather see more shopping than a food in that space, maybe a Saks off 5th type setup, but I would be happy with either. Acme is on that plot of land and literally 500 feet from Sears, so not sure how another grocery store that would close would work...

Also, the Macys in Springfield is actually one of the higher grossing Macys in the state (higher than Concord Mall Macys, too), so the odds of that closing are about the same as the Macys in Cherry Hill or KoP closing. Unless Macys goes under (which they aren't), then that Macys is staying, and rightfully so. Its nice that Springfield has a real department store.

The older Target further down Baltimore Pike would make sense for a Wegmans / Whole Food conversion. Having two Targets that close seems odd, but apparently they both perform very well.

Old 02-22-2019, 01:48 PM

1,213 posts, read 1,223,492 times
Quote:
Sears day are numbered, so that huge building at Granite Run is has potential for some sort of retail. I personally would rather see more shopping than a food in that space, maybe a Saks off 5th type setup, but I would be happy with either. Acme is on that plot of land and literally 500 feet from Sears, so not sure how another grocery store that would close would work...

Also, the Macys in Springfield is actually one of the higher grossing Macys in the state (higher than Concord Mall Macys, too), so the odds of that closing are about the same as the Macys in Cherry Hill or KoP closing. Unless Macys goes under (which they aren't), then that Macys is staying, and rightfully so. Its nice that Springfield has a real department store.

The older Target further down Baltimore Pike would make sense for a Wegmans / Whole Food conversion. Having two Targets that close seems odd, but apparently they both perform very well.
I have had bad customer service at the Macys in Springfield. Surprised to hear it's doing as well as it's doing.

Also, talking about Sears, what's up with the Sears appliance store that sells laundry machines in the Old Sproul Shopping Center?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia