U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-05-2017, 12:04 AM

345 posts, read 167,033 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
I've been in Wegmans stores, and they're quite impressive, but my general attitude remains "Who needs Wegmans when you have the Reading Terminal Market?"

Whole Paycheck is by and large above my pay grade. But I will admit their stuff is very high quality, and its stores have cheese sections to die for.

But I can go to DiBruno Bros. for that and support a fine local family.
I agree with you except for four words: Wegmans Ultimate White Cake.

I also think you can save more money and time at Wegmans because you can buy other items as well. Plus you can use coupons. I used to be great at using coupons.

I cannot express properly into words how sick I am of Whole Foods. It's the only grocery store in my neighborhood other than Kleins, which is OK, and Aldi, which I don't like. All three stress me out for reasons I can't explain, but will try: WF is filled with clueless people yapping on their phones and not paying attention; Kleins has really nice service but not much selection and there's always at least one lady clogging up the tiny produce section with her cart; and Aldi just seems like too much work for a single person who is only stopping in to pick up dinner (that's also why I'm meh about Trader Joe's. I just want this wrap; don't make me stand in line for 15 minutes for it!)

Actually maybe it's better there's no Wegmans near me because I'd be 400 lbs and diabetic. Although I did scarf down half of a tiramisu cake from Termini Bros after dinner... and I have to say, while I love Termini Bros torrone, Wegmans tiramisu is much better.

By the way, I was just at RTM today in search of ring Bologna, but I got there too late and all of the PA Dutch stalls were already closed :,(

It suddenly occurs to me that I may have been using an apostrophe for Wegmans before. My former editor would kill me.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2017, 12:56 AM

19,391 posts, read 17,100,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Sure, but have the former stores been repurposed? That's what I mean by past.

By future, I also mean what is coming, but feel free to speculate, within reason. For instance, Kroger attempted to negotiate with A&P. Will they move into the area? Publix has opened a Charlotte division, & declared intentions in Richmond & they are looking in & around DC. They are known to cater to Hispanics. Will they head for Philadelphia? Both chains are not opposed to opening intercity supermarkets. There are ethnic chains for Hispanics & Asians. . .
I do not know how advantageous acquiring A&P could have been for Kroger. It would have helped propel Kroger into the northeastern United States. A&P had been operating badly during the last years of its existence.

Publix is a supermarket to look out for in several years. It will be expanding quick and smart in Virginia. I think Maryland and the District of Columbia will be in play if Publix expands into the Washington, District of Columbia, metropolitan area.

Old 01-05-2017, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WO2Phl View Post
The Fresh Market in Chestnut Hill is a decent supermarket and avoids the downtown rush. Easily the best supermarket in NW Philly.
The Fresh Market is a specialty gourmet grocery store, not a supermarket.

Old 01-05-2017, 01:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
There is a Wegmans in KoP, Malvern, Collegeville, Warrington, and the newest one is in Glen Mills. There may be another somewhere in Montgomery County, but I forget.

Wegmans is very strategic and only opens new construction large footprint stores in high-income zipcodes, nothing like Walmarts business model.
So a Wegmans anywhere in the city of Philadelphia will never happen due to the lack of space and high amount of poverty.
Wegman's operates over 90 stores in a six-state footprint and only opens three stores a year. That would not be promising in a new market like North Carolina. Publix has announced 41 stores in that state, in which 19 are open. If Wegman's stepped up in store count, it could have greater exposure.

Old 01-05-2017, 01:03 AM

Quote:
How busy are the nearest Wegmans? Unless they are busy enough to need another store to take up the slack, I don't see that happening for at least 5 years. They just opened in Richmond & they're planning to go into the Raleigh/Chapel Hill area.
I have heard up to four stores in North Carolina all in the Raleigh area. If Wegman's is expanding southward, it needs a solid plan in distribution and store count.

Old 01-05-2017, 02:47 AM

20,507 posts, read 25,705,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
I do not know how advantageous acquiring A&P could have been for Kroger. It would have helped propel Kroger into the northeastern United States. A&P had been operating badly during the last years of its existence.

Publix is a supermarket to look out for in several years. It will be expanding quick and smart in Virginia. I think Maryland and the District of Columbia will be in play if Publix expands into the Washington, District of Columbia, metropolitan area.
A&P was a mess for decades. While it wasn't announced what the talks were about, I suspect that Kroger may have been after Pathmark & possibly Super Fresh stores in Philadelphia, South Jersey, SE Pennsylvania, & Delaware, as acquisition of Harris Teeter got them into Delaware.

Old 01-05-2017, 03:18 AM

20,507 posts, read 25,705,659 times
Quote:
I have heard up to four stores in North Carolina all in the Raleigh area. If Wegman's is expanding southward, it needs a solid plan in distribution and store count.
Wegmans may be planning to do the scheduled builds + Raleigh before finalizing plans for a 2nd distribution center. Richmond & Raleigh are pushing it from the current distribution center.

If they don't plan to go south of NC & plan to expand in New England, they could group stores from Philadelphia south with a distribution center out of Maryland or northern Virginia. They'll have to figure that out.

Old 01-05-2017, 03:57 AM

3,661 posts, read 1,770,490 times
Quote:

Publix is employee-owned. I like that.

But if they expand up this way, I hope they abandon the practice of prepackaging almost all the produce I noticed at the one Florida store I set foot in in 2008.

Old 01-05-2017, 10:26 AM

Quote:
A&P was a mess for decades. While it wasn't announced what the talks were about, I suspect that Kroger may have been after Pathmark & possibly Super Fresh stores in Philadelphia, South Jersey, SE Pennsylvania, & Delaware, as acquisition of Harris Teeter got them into Delaware.
Harris Teeter is in Maryland and Delaware. If Kroger wants to enter Pennsylvania through Philadelphia, it would be logical to enter through Harris Teeter.

Old 01-05-2017, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Wegmans may be planning to do the scheduled builds + Raleigh before finalizing plans for a 2nd distribution center. Richmond & Raleigh are pushing it from the current distribution center.

If they don't plan to go south of NC & plan to expand in New England, they could group stores from Philadelphia south with a distribution center out of Maryland or northern Virginia. They'll have to figure that out.
Does Wegman's have one distribution center?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia