U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-05-2019, 08:36 AM
 
494 posts, read 238,543 times
Reputation: 358

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post
https://www.inquirer.com/real-estate...-20190604.html

In the paper this morning, there will be a new Aldi at 22nd and Washington. I had been wondering what was going on because removal of debris from the chocolate factory has basically stopped. I guess Ori was waiting until the tenants were lined up.
He decided to knock the whole thing down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-05-2019, 08:50 AM
 
Location: Center City, Philadelphia
4,625 posts, read 2,762,070 times
Reputation: 2978
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redddog View Post
He decided to knock the whole thing down.
As it should be. Imo, it is pointless to leave what is still standing if it is going to prevent commercial spaces from getting built or mess up traffic. Washington Ave. is seeing lots of development and needs more commercial offerings like a grocery store and pharmacy.

I have always been disappointed that the 'Bottom Dollar Food' building on Grey's Ferry Ave. never found a new tenant. It's probably a tough location since a Fresh Grocer is essentially across the street.

Coming into the city that way from 76 is a brutal visual and popping out from underneath the dirty old highway to only see a check cashing place and a boarded up grocery store is a bad look.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-05-2019, 09:18 AM
 
182 posts, read 111,005 times
Reputation: 249
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post
As it should be. Imo, it is pointless to leave what is still standing if it is going to prevent commercial spaces from getting built or mess up traffic. Washington Ave. is seeing lots of development and needs more commercial offerings like a grocery store and pharmacy.
Yeah, but it's not an either/or proposition. You can still get redevelopment and renewed commercial offerings without demolishing every old or historic building in your path. And neighborhoods are usually far better off for maintaining that kind of character.

Developers always want to knock down EVERYTHING. The worst thing we can do, as a city, is to continue to just bow down and let them do what they want because they whine about adaptive reuse being hard. In some cases buildings can't be saved, obviously, but by a lot of accounts this wasn't one of them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-05-2019, 10:30 AM
 
Location: New York City
5,685 posts, read 5,063,908 times
Reputation: 2788
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireshaker View Post
Yeah, but it's not an either/or proposition. You can still get redevelopment and renewed commercial offerings without demolishing every old or historic building in your path. And neighborhoods are usually far better off for maintaining that kind of character.

Developers always want to knock down EVERYTHING. The worst thing we can do, as a city, is to continue to just bow down and let them do what they want because they whine about adaptive reuse being hard. In some cases buildings can't be saved, obviously, but by a lot of accounts this wasn't one of them.
I go agree with that general sentiment, but the replacement is very attractive and thankfully brick! It meshes with with the area and pays a bit of homage to the former structure, unlike that hulking metal box at Broad and Washington, which if it weren't for the train shed that could possibly the ugliest new project in Philadelphia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-05-2019, 11:37 AM
 
494 posts, read 238,543 times
Reputation: 358
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
I go agree with that general sentiment, but the replacement is very attractive and thankfully brick! It meshes with with the area and pays a bit of homage to the former structure, unlike that hulking metal box at Broad and Washington, which if it weren't for the train shed that could possibly the ugliest new project in Philadelphia.
Agreed. It's a reasonable facsimile of what would have been built there if the vision then was less industrial. A project like this with those types of anchors, is EXACTLY what this stretch needs to propel it to the next level.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top