Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2017, 10:20 AM

23,813 posts, read 34,657,307 times

Advertisements

I keep seeing discussions of all three within other threads. Having a centralized thread for them would be a help for newer posters & posters new to the area. Discuss the city & suburbs, as well as past, present, & future.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2017, 10:56 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,749,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
I keep seeing discussions of all three within other threads. Having a centralized thread for them would be a help for newer posters & posters new to the area. Discuss the city & suburbs, as well as past, present, & future.
Can we leave out dead stores like A&P?

Old 01-03-2017, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
Can we leave out dead stores like A&P?
Sure, but have the former stores been repurposed? That's what I mean by past.

By future, I also mean what is coming, but feel free to speculate, within reason. For instance, Kroger attempted to negotiate with A&P. Will they move into the area? Publix has opened a Charlotte division, & declared intentions in Richmond & they are looking in & around DC. They are known to cater to Hispanics. Will they head for Philadelphia? Both chains are not opposed to opening intercity supermarkets. There are ethnic chains for Hispanics & Asians. . .

Old 01-03-2017, 12:55 PM

5,546 posts, read 6,868,827 times
I thought it was strange that people were looking for grocery stores in Center City. There are quite a few:

https://www.google.com/maps/search/g...1704361,15.26z

Not all are great or full, but there are a couple Whole Foods, Rittenhouse Market, a few ACMEs, Trader Joes, and many smaller places. All people need to do is type in "grocery store" into Google Maps like I did above.

Old 01-03-2017, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJNEOA View Post
I thought it was strange that people were looking for grocery stores in Center City. There are quite a few:

https://www.google.com/maps/search/g...1704361,15.26z

Not all are great or full, but there are a couple Whole Foods, Rittenhouse Market, a few ACMEs, Trader Joes, and many smaller places. All people need to do is type in "grocery store" into Google Maps like I did above.
Thanks. The Rittenhouse Market has been there forever. I wondered why it wasn't being mentioned. I knew that the tiny little old Acme at 15th & Spruce closed years ago. God, that place must have been from the 30s or 40s.

Pathmark brought full size supermarkets into the city. I would hope that they've all been repurposed.

Has the city attempted to lure supermarkets into signing up for a spot in new construction?

Old 01-03-2017, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Thanks. The Rittenhouse Market has been there forever. I wondered why it wasn't being mentioned. I knew that the tiny little old Acme at 15th & Spruce closed years ago. God, that place must have been from the 30s or 40s.

Pathmark brought full size supermarkets into the city. I would hope that they've all been repurposed.

Has the city attempted to lure supermarkets into signing up for a spot in new construction?
We have the Organic Grocer coming into the new Market East build at 11th/12th. I don't know much about them.

I personally love Rittenhouse Market, but I like healthy options and I find that they lack a bit there (not completely).

It's also hard not to mention RTM, which is better than any market.

Down in Passyunk Square/EPC, the South Philly Coop is opening their market in the near future (by 2027 at least :-)).

Old 01-03-2017, 01:41 PM

Quote:
We have the Organic Grocer coming into the new Market East build at 11th/12th. I don't know much about them.

I personally love Rittenhouse Market, but I like healthy options and I find that they lack a bit there (not completely).

It's also hard not to mention RTM, which is better than any market.

Down in Passyunk Square/EPC, the South Philly Coop is opening their market in the near future (by 2027 at least :-)).
I know that there was a co-op near Drexel.

In Europe, you can find, pretty much full-sized, supermarkets in row houses. They put paper goods etc. on the 2nd floor.

Reading Terminal Market is a great bonus in Center City.

I used to go to a nice shopping area on N. 11th St, in Chinatown, frequently, until H Mart opened in Cherry Hill. Then I usually went there. When a Chinese-owned supermarket opened down the street from H Mart, that mostly ended my grocery trips to China Town.

Old 01-03-2017, 01:57 PM

Quote:
I know that there was a co-op near Drexel.

In Europe, you can find, pretty much full-sized, supermarkets in row houses. They put paper goods etc. on the 2nd floor.

Reading Terminal Market is a great bonus in Center City.

I used to go to a nice shopping area on N. 11th St, in Chinatown, frequently, until H Mart opened in Cherry Hill. Then I usually went there. When a Chinese-owned supermarket opened down the street from H Mart, that mostly ended my grocery trips to China Town.
Agreed, I love how many European cities use their space. Truly urban living.

The Asian markets on Washington Ave are also underrated, just as the ones in Chinatown are (at least outside of the Asian population).

Old 01-03-2017, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Agreed, I love how many European cities use their space. Truly urban living.

The Asian markets on Washington Ave are also underrated, just as the ones in Chinatown are (at least outside of the Asian population).
One reason that I thought that a grocery thread would be useful is that l can't possibly be the only non-Asian person who likes to buy certain Asian items. That & I realized that a lot of good grocery information is buried in threads that no one would think to look in.

Old 01-03-2017, 03:30 PM

377 posts, read 474,330 times
Need a Wegmans somewhere in Lower Merion or immediate surrounding area, then I'd be really happy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia