Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2017, 08:22 PM

14,169 posts, read 9,058,487 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpranger467 View Post
Thank you Market, maybe like you said my worries are exaggerated but when I have a family to look after I'm going to be hyper sensitive when it comes to their safety (and mine). The folks who have spun me to be a racist or whatever have no idea of who I am or my background (if they did I assure you they would not think I was racist lol). Yet my concerns for my families safety has made me the bad guy on this forum and thats ok, some things need to be brought to the forefront so they become scrutinized and I believe the random incidents of violence in our otherwise great city needs to be one of them.
MB and I share sexual orientation. The point he was making that I understood is that there have been some pretty grisly attacks and murders of people simply because they were gay or trans, yet he hasn't had any hassles, nor does he worry when going out and about because of them. (Those attacks, by the way, took place in or near the city neighborhood that's been identified for years as a gay district.) I haven't had any problems in the Gayborhood either save having a drunken Mummers wench call me a "f**king f****t" one New Year's Day.

You have probably picked up by now that I live in a neighborhood many might consider dangerous. An African-American friend of mine who visits often enough tells me he doesn't like the neighborhood all that much, and I can understand why. Yet I'm not terribly fazed walking around it.

I do not begrudge you at all your concern for the safety of your loved ones. I'm not convinced we have to panic yet, is all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2017, 01:40 AM

840 posts, read 693,286 times
Well stated, thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
MB and I share sexual orientation. The point he was making that I understood is that there have been some pretty grisly attacks and murders of people simply because they were gay or trans, yet he hasn't had any hassles, nor does he worry when going out and about because of them. (Those attacks, by the way, took place in or near the city neighborhood that's been identified for years as a gay district.) I haven't had any problems in the Gayborhood either save having a drunken Mummers wench call me a "f**king f****t" one New Year's Day.

You have probably picked up by now that I live in a neighborhood many might consider dangerous. An African-American friend of mine who visits often enough tells me he doesn't like the neighborhood all that much, and I can understand why. Yet I'm not terribly fazed walking around it.

I do not begrudge you at all your concern for the safety of your loved ones. I'm not convinced we have to panic yet, is all.

Old 02-11-2017, 07:20 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,756,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ondoner View Post
I think you've over-stayed your welcome in Philly. You may want to keep moving South to a safer place
One might run into a similar kind of thing in the south. I'm mostly familiar with Birmingham, AL which according to stats has a lot of crime. I've been visiting there for over a decade and have never seen or been a victim of a crime. No family member of mine has either.

Old 02-11-2017, 07:53 AM

2,130 posts, read 1,457,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MB1562 View Post
You have absolutely no proof that crime statistics are fudged. If you do, I'd be happy to look at them. If not, you're just another blowhard full of "alternative facts".

That man who shot the cop was mentally ill. Its an easily verified fact. He also had no connection to ISIS, which is also an easily verifiable fact. Last time I checked, seeing things that aren't really there would generally be considered a mental health issue. You and your fellow right-of-center buddies seem to see a lot of things that aren't there lately.

The indisputable fact is, crime is at historic lows in just about every major American city, including Philadelphia. No matter how much you wish it weren't true, that is a FACT, not a liberal conspiracy to undermine Cheetolini.
You can deflect all you want, but the FACT is: Nuts or not, he shot the cop in the name of Allah (it can be easily verified). It's irrelevant whether he had ties to ISIS or not.

And, crime being 'down' doesn't mean there isn't still a lot of crime - there is.

Finally, as of late, the Left seem to see a lot of things that aren't there ... The incessant screeching, sign carrying and foot stomping isn't going to make them true, either.

Last edited by 2002 Subaru; 02-11-2017 at 09:20 AM.. Reason: removed the rude comments.

Old 02-11-2017, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KansastoSouthphilly View Post

What public figure has ever said that we are supposed to be ok with black males attacking white people? Your argument seems to be 99% strawman.
It's not about what's being said, it's about what's NOT being said.

Old 02-11-2017, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MB1562 View Post
You said crime was rising and out of control. You showed no evidence this was statistically accurate. You claimed the police and government fudged crime data to make the city look safer then it really is. You showed no evidence that this was/is taking place. Either answer my question or close your trap. People voted for Trump because they were desperate, just plain stupid, or both.

As a gay man, I could easily cherry-pick isolated incidents to sensationalize how the city is unsafe for LGBT people. Remember the gay bashing in September 2014? It made national news. A bunch of spoiled, suburban, WHITE idiots beat the living crap out of two gay men because they were holding hands. There have been several murders of trans people the last year or so. Those incidents are pretty scary. But you know what? Never once have I ever had a problem in this city because I was gay. Not. One. Single. Time. If I were to just believe the news, I'd be too scared to go out of my apartment.

I believe in reality, and reality is proven with facts. You have no facts to back up your asinine claims. You are either intellectually lazy or just a troll.
Many transsexuals engage in dangerous/risky behavior such as prostitution or hard drug usage, much like the female prostitutes who are victims of violent crime.
Transsexuals aren't being attacked in the streets for no reason ... I've seen many of them in action and they can be quite mouthy and aggressive.
If the gays guys who got themselves beat up had kept their mouths shut, the incident would have never happened. People get beat up all the time because of their mouths, gay and straight.

Last edited by 2002 Subaru; 02-11-2017 at 08:12 AM..

Old 02-11-2017, 08:37 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,519,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lpranger467 View Post
Seems like a lot of properties are sitting in the market for a long time in many of Philly's hot neighborhoods. I thought I read somewhere that a lot of today's younger generation have decided to stay in the burbs. I ask as that we've been searching and the same properties have been up for months and months. I will say its concerning to me from an investment standpoint, and just as concerning is all the news reports as if late of couples and single folks being jumped by groups in and around CC and S Philly. While I feel I can handle myself most days I don't want to put my adult son in any danger.

Thanks for any thoughts, still love these Philly neighborhoods but I must admit the two factors above have me a bit on the fence at the moment.
Please refrain from name calling and stick to the OP. ^^ You may notice some posts have been edited with rude statements removed and some posts deleted. A TOS reminder,
Quote:
Be civil, no personal attacks, flaming, or insults. We may attack ideas (politely) but we do not attack the speaker of the idea. Be careful with your words, there is a point where being direct crosses a line into blunt, in-your-face hostility. Please, report bad posts instead of engaging in flame wars on the boards. Insulting another member or a moderator will not be tolerated anywhere on this website. This includes Direct Messages and Reputation Comments.

If you disagree with something, say so, but explain WHY.

Stay on topic. Attempts to hi-jack threads by switching topics or going off topic will be deleted and infractions issued. This is not a chat room - when people hi-jack threads by posting messages that are of interest to only few people, the threads often stop being useful discussions of initial topics.

Hate speech, racism or bashing of ANY sort will NOT be tolerated. Rude posts will be removed and infractions issued. Do not quote or talk to trolls or your posts will also be deleted. Use the report feature instead.

"Trolling" is prohibited.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 02-11-2017, 10:57 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,931,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2002 Subaru View Post
Many transsexuals engage in dangerous/risky behavior such as prostitution or hard drug usage, much like the female prostitutes who are victims of violent crime.
Transsexuals aren't being attacked in the streets for no reason ... I've seen many of them in action and they can be quite mouthy and aggressive.
If the gays guys who got themselves beat up had kept their mouths shut, the incident would have never happened. People get beat up all the time because of their mouths, gay and straight.
Just stop-you don't know the circumstances. Not only is that not based on any facts but it's terribly insensitive.

The sky high rates of murder, violence and sexual assault on trans people is not due to a whole group of people being "mouthy"-that is absurd and offensive.

How can you say-on one hand violence is almost always caused by the victims being "mouthy and aggressive", but then on the other hand pretend to have concern for your own safety? Why not just "keep your mouth shut" as you say-and never have a problem?

Or is it only those from the LGBT and minority communities that are responsible for violence inflicted upon them?

Last edited by 2e1m5a; 02-11-2017 at 11:06 AM..

Old 02-11-2017, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
Just stop-you don't know the circumstances. Not only is that not based on any facts but it's terribly insensitive.

The sky high rates of murder, violence and sexual assault on trans people is not due to a whole group of people being "mouthy"-that is absurd and offensive.

How can you say-on one hand violence is almost always caused by the victims being "mouthy and aggressive", but then on the other hand pretend to have concern for your own safety? Why not just "keep your mouth shut" as you say-and never have a problem?

Or is it only those from the LGBT and minority communities that are responsible for violence inflicted upon them?
I've seen enough to know what I'm talking about - so, just stop.

Are the murder rates of innocent, law-abiding trans people who mind their own business really sky high? No. BUT, many of them ARE involved in prostitution and hard drugs - the same things that leads to violence against female prostitutes. Not to mention, the aggressive and mouthy behavior ... Not a good move, especially for a guy in a dress around drunk people.

And, yeah, if you (as in everybody) keep your mouth shut, there's a very slim chance you're going to get into an altercation.
Whether YOU like it or not, my experiences mean something.

Last edited by 2002 Subaru; 02-11-2017 at 12:29 PM..

Old 02-11-2017, 11:33 AM

123 posts, read 138,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine View Post
What on earth could you find to do with a date at Penn's Landing?
It has a romantic atmosphere at night time during the spring and summer. That area is usually comes after dinner and a show.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia