Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2017, 09:34 PM

1 posts, read 442 times

Advertisements

Hello, all -
So I recently moved to the Philadelphia area for several reasons: 1) I like the general area, 2) I wanted to find work in the area, and 3) I have decided to get married to my longtime partner. I've been living in NJ (within easy walking distance of the City of Philadelphia when I or drive across the bridge from NJ into PA), and I love the area. I also moved in with my soon-to-be spouse "over there" across the Delaware. After searching for a job for a year. I found a nice one working for the City government. It's a great situation!....But here is the caveat: If I want to keep the City job, the City requires employees to find a bona fide permanent residence within the City within 6 months (saying "I can see Philadelphia from my house" is not good enough!).

My hope / plan was to look for a room or studio apartment (a cheap one, because the City job does not pay City apartment market prices), get my mail there, spend enough time there to have a clear conscience and say that it's a legitimate residence, pay the City taxes...and shuttle back and forth between that place and the NJ place owned by my fiancee. She has no interest in selling her place, and I have no interest in giving it up either. And getting married and having a shared address may make things even more complicated. As I see it, I have these options: 1) Find a City address and be there enough to call it a bona fide residence (and I my starting salary is $52,000, which doesn't seem to buy much in any Philly zip code, or 2) Look for other employment that does not require changing residences.

My questions are these:
1) Do any of my readers have experience with this sort of work situation in the City, and how have you handled it?
2) Assuming that I stay in the government job and look for a legitimate Philly residence, what is the absolute cheapest type of residence and local I can find for now? Zip code, urban blight, and travel time will not scare me off, by the way. I am open to all suggestions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia