Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2017, 12:26 PM

1,943 posts, read 1,489,449 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpranger467 View Post
Whether or not people liked Rudy Giuliani's policies or not, there is plenty of evidence from NYC history that conservative policy and aggressive policing (yes including stop and frisk) have a direct impact on crime. There is also at least preponderance of evidence that armed citizens act as a deterrent against crime. Even the most liberal person cant ignore that when Florida began to allow open carry and easily obtainable CCW permits that the rash of crimes there went down (I'm dating back to the era where tourists and others in S Florida were being robbed and killed).

If Phillys mayor is asleep at the wheel and more concerned about his public perception and not that of the cities (and citizens) then this issue will just get worse. Every time one of these mobs beat, rob and tear up stores it empowers others their age to copycat their acts.

This being said I'm not either advocating (or hoping) that legally armed citizens shoot these teens if they are just wrecking property and fighting among each other but I will say that no court in this state would convict someone who defended themselves or family from being attacked and robbed by a gang of thugs (which was my concern weeks ago due to all the vicious attacks and robberies against people who were just minding their own business).

Murder rates drop as concealed carry permits soar: report - Washington Times
Correlation doesn't always equal causation. It is quite possible it has a part, but it doesn't tell the whole story. Lets not forget that the Guiliani era started as the crack epidemic winded down, the economy improved immensely, and violent crime fell across the board. It was also the beginning of the gentrification of New York, so he rode a lot of positive trends in his administration that he can't, in all reality, take full credit for.

And before you accuse me of being some wimpy liberal, just know I keep a Glock 19 in my bedroom, and always have since I bought it when I was 21. Although I can say, I've never felt the need to carry it around with me in the city, and I used to work in Belmont, so, yeah.

Last edited by MB1562; 03-08-2017 at 01:14 PM..

Old 03-08-2017, 02:42 PM

840 posts, read 693,815 times
I'd never accuse you of being either a liberal or wimpy, though my guess is youre maybe left of where I stand (most) days. I think you do have some valid issues about NYC but it was accelerated under Rudy by admission of almost all New Yorkers. This being said New York wasnt my sole area of focus (though I do own here and know it pretty well). South Florida had a significant issue with crime that was causing the area quite the black eye with foreigners. In 1987 Florida passed a "Shall Issue" CCW law that opened the door for people without a criminal record to easily get a handgun; the results were a very marked drop in violent crime. This reduction is well documented across both your more conservative and liberal media sources.

I primarily give the points on guns and people carrying guns to refute those who say you'll be imprisoned if you use a gun, sued etc-. History has shown that lawful and responsible carry does reduce crime and that civilian CCW holders are more hesitant than even the police to use their sidearm.

I again dont advocate violence in any way, especially against the teen groups who are causing property damage and fighting among themselves. But I also own (and carry) a sidearm and I will not hesitate to present it if the option is getting robbed and beaten by thugs and possibly facing grave injury; others should also feel confident that in the same situation they can do the same or frankly the "thugs" will get out of control and Philly will turn into another Detroit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MB1562 View Post
Correlation doesn't always equal causation. It is quite possible it has a part, but it doesn't tell the whole story. Lets not forget that the Guiliani era started as the crack epidemic winded down, the economy improved immensely, and violent crime fell across the board. It was also the beginning of the gentrification of New York, so he rode a lot of positive trends in his administration that he can't, in all reality, take full credit for.

And before you accuse me of being some wimpy liberal, just know I keep a Glock 19 in my bedroom, and always have since I bought it when I was 21. Although I can say, I've never felt the need to carry it around with me in the city, and I used to work in Belmont, so, yeah.

Old 03-08-2017, 02:50 PM

9,380 posts, read 9,338,690 times
Just saw the latest numbers in the Murder Thread, and Philadelphia homicides are up 35% from last year and at its highest point in almost a decade when the city was essentially in crisis mode for homicides. :/

The city is essentially in the same boat as Chicago, however all the focus is on them (thankfully for Philadelphia).

Old 03-08-2017, 03:08 PM

2,130 posts, read 1,458,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJNEOA View Post
Go to any gun safety course or talk to any police officer and they'll tell you it's not so simple. But regardless of any anecdotes that you or I can throw at each other, it's a LAST resort. Not one to be taken lightly.
OK, you scared me into not getting a handgun and a permit to carry ... and I'm getting rid of the shotgun next to my bed. Thanks.

Can I still carry my tazer? How about bear spray?

Last edited by 2002 Subaru; 03-08-2017 at 03:21 PM..

Old 03-08-2017, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
Not really the right post to follow this up with, but:

I'm probably to your left politically as well, albeit to kyb01's right. I think I get where you're coming from, and when have I jumped all over you for expressing your opinion?

Then again, maybe we're outliers.
Apparently, you're not a lunatic.

Old 03-08-2017, 03:16 PM

5,546 posts, read 6,874,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2002 Subaru View Post
OK, you scared me into not getting a gun.
For the record, I grew up hunting and shooting guns. I still do, 25 years and running, although a little less because of where I live. I just, personally, don't take the use of deadly force lightly.

Old 03-08-2017, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
It's an extension of my work, at least in part, for me. It's also a form of brand marketing.

BTW, have you heard who's going to speak at Harvard's Commencement this year? He will finally get a degree as a result.
Why not? The other guy got a Nobel Peace prize because of his skin color.

Old 03-08-2017, 04:37 PM

840 posts, read 693,815 times
Seriously, well if ever there was a reason to be critical of the administration. I'm sorry (I'm not very PC) but damn if I wont take an entirely AA city leadership over a liberal white one any day, I dont see Nutter & Ramsey putting up with this sh-t.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
Just saw the latest numbers in the Murder Thread, and Philadelphia homicides are up 35% from last year and at its highest point in almost a decade when the city was essentially in crisis mode for homicides. :/

The city is essentially in the same boat as Chicago, however all the focus is on them (thankfully for Philadelphia).

Old 03-08-2017, 04:47 PM

10,787 posts, read 8,759,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lpranger467 View Post
Seriously, well if ever there was a reason to be critical of the administration. I'm sorry (I'm not very PC) but damn if I wont take an entirely AA city leadership over a liberal white one any day, I dont see Nutter & Ramsey putting up with this sh-t.
You're not saying anything here that I don't agree with. Just wait until some fed funds disappear over the sancturary city stuff.

Old 03-08-2017, 05:13 PM

10,787 posts, read 8,759,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post

Terrific. Sigh.

Didn't Commissioner Ross come from the homicide division? He's only been in the job a year and, frankly, if things deteriorate more there should be some way to apply public pressure to get rid of him. Too many of the "inbred"/coming up through the ranks of PPD commissioners haven't worked out so well. It seems to take " outsiders", like Ramsey, to shake things up and get things moving in the right direction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia