Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-30-2017, 09:37 AM

10 posts, read 10,581 times

Advertisements

My SO and I are thinking about moving to KOP but we're not sure we love the industrial/commercial feel of it. We would love someplace that we could walk to bars/restaurants and KOP is not exactly "walkable". It seems like there is a good amount of stuff that is a quick uber ride from the residential areas though. KOP is 10 mins from work for both of us and pretty much everything we would want to get to is really convenient via 76 or 202. UM school district, CVT and valley forge are all pluses as well. We're mid-20's so we don't want to tie ourselves to a "boring" area though.

I know they are trying to build up the "Town Center" but I know it won't ever have the feel that towns like West Chester, Phoenixville, Ardmore, etc. have. Those places are all either out of our price range or too inconvenient to work for us, though.

If anyone is a past/current resident of KOP and wants to give us some insight, that would be awesome!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2017, 10:28 AM

3,168 posts, read 5,502,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grisby View Post
My SO and I are thinking about moving to KOP but we're not sure we love the industrial/commercial feel of it. We would love someplace that we could walk to bars/restaurants and KOP is not exactly "walkable". It seems like there is a good amount of stuff that is a quick uber ride from the residential areas though. KOP is 10 mins from work for both of us and pretty much everything we would want to get to is really convenient via 76 or 202. UM school district, CVT and valley forge are all pluses as well. We're mid-20's so we don't want to tie ourselves to a "boring" area though.

I know they are trying to build up the "Town Center" but I know it won't ever have the feel that towns like West Chester, Phoenixville, Ardmore, etc. have. Those places are all either out of our price range or too inconvenient to work for us, though.

If anyone is a past/current resident of KOP and wants to give us some insight, that would be awesome!
Based on your previous posts, I would not consider KOP. It is suburbia with chain restaurants galore and not walkable in the slightest. If you're ok with that and driving/ubering everywhere then it may work. It's not on a train line so if you want to get into CC you'd have to drive in, drive to a train station, or combo bus/train.

Old 03-30-2017, 06:17 PM

151 posts, read 196,695 times
I know you asked for opinions from people that lived in KOP, and that's not me, but I did work there for 3 years and once considered moving there. I'm also in my mid-20s. Reasons I didn't move there: 1) you have to drive everywhere and public transit is limited, 2) it's all chain restaurants and stores, nothing ever felt unique in any way (although it was convenient when needing to run to Staples, Petsmart, etc.), 3) it is getting very expensive. Almost all the new apartments are $1600+ for a one bedroom, and the new townhouses are absurd. When I started my search for a home, a lot of the older homes from the 50s were climbing pretty steadily and all needed to be updated. 4) traffic, while bad everywhere, is much worse around the mall area during the holidays and I'm sure Town Center will only add to it.

I'd recommend Phoenixville. It's not too far from KOP so it shouldn't impact your work commutes too much, and it's close to KOP so you can drive there anytime for the big box stores. It's got a quaint downtown with a charming old town feel and very walkable. I don't know how much apartments or houses run for.

Old 04-01-2017, 09:20 PM

27 posts, read 20,266 times
I've moved to KOP in december 2016 (from Ireland) for the main reason that the location it is close to my work. Unfortunately you need to drive anywhere...there are also two Septa buses 124 and 125 that goes straight to Philly but I never used them. For a couple with no kids I am finding it a little bit boring. From the shopping perspective it is very convenient as you have lots of options for grocery stores : Giants, Wegmans, Walmart, Costo, Acme, Target.
There is also a small fancy "town city" close to Wegmans but the restaurants are expensive and not really too cozy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia