Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2017, 12:01 PM

4,087 posts, read 3,243,209 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
As a resident of University City I don't have to tell anyone here that I've seen major changes to my area in the 15 years I've been here. The process is rather slow and gradual. Example when I first moved here I was told "the neighborhood is nice, but don't venture west of 46th Street." A couple of years after that it was 48th Street, then 50th, now 52nd. People walking pedigreed little dogs in Malcolm X Park and sipping lattes in sidewalk cafes overlooking the park.

Powelton Village was pretty but rather shabby 15 years ago ... lots of artists (like the Tiberinos) and Hippies (like Einhorn a bit earlier). Now it's ... expensive! Back then "West Powelton" was still 'the 'hood' ... unquestionably becoming gentrified now.

It doesn't happen overnight.
Philly needs to (or should have much better in the past) removed blight and homes windowless condemned and boarded up. Yard and empty lot owners pressured to clean it up. Especially where its easily seen to all.

One difference I've seen in Philly is how gentrification and blight continue in the same block till gentrification is virtually all complete.

Many locals see the good and improving. Yes we applaud it. But outsiders see blight and debris in neighborhoods recommended as gentrified up and coming still. The areas and same block, looks still with blighted housing, lots not cleared, streets not having street-sweeping services can look very un-kept. Streets where tightness showcases power-line poles that do not help and stand out more then a block with a lot more green and trees with the poles.

Many do not realize leaving blight for years in a unsafe and looks awful condition. Despite the neighborhood elevated as gentrifying and highly recommended still hurt outsider opinions of the city.

The we don't care what outsiders think or perceive-- fixes nothing. It means Philly struggles much more to show much more improvement, if the blight was not removed BEFORE the gentrifying began. It creates a still dirtier and run-down appearance despite signs of renewal all around.

*Clean the streets though as a necessary value. Philly -- should not be the ONLY Major city without city street-sweeping services. It shows, and that is problem . Even shows in street-views 360's. It really does and how NEW Infill has still blight left around it -- till years might pass and it finally is replaced and removed. (not all can afford CC and how its business clean the streets by a private service that all can benefit).

My understanding is FUNDING is there. The city just gave up the fight with people on these streets with claims of no place to move vehicles to? It is unfortunate and ALL these aspects can effect a second rate stigma and KEEP it ongoing.

Just addressing the topic. Not bashing. But these are valid points...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2017, 01:23 PM

9,340 posts, read 13,004,813 times
Assuming I'm understanding you correctly...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavePa View Post
Philly needs to (or should have much better in the past) removed blight and homes windowless condemned and boarded up. Yard and empty lot owners pressured to clean it up. Especially where its easily seen to all.
While I understand where you're coming from, those actions lead to gap teeth, which can eventually multiply into urban prairie.

Quote:
One difference I've seen in Philly is how gentrification and blight continue in the same block till gentrification is virtually all complete.
I don't see how that's unique to Philly. I'm open to counter-examples, but one or two cherry-picked cities doth not a trend make.

Quote:
Many locals see the good and improving. Yes we applaud it. But outsiders see blight and debris in neighborhoods recommended as gentrified up and coming still.
That all depends on the neighborhood in question (and again, I don't see this as unique).

Quote:
The areas and same block, looks still with blighted housing, lots not cleared[...]
See responses one through three.

Quote:
[...]streets not having street-sweeping services can look very un-kept.
I agree this is a problem, though less so in the more desirable parts of town.

Quote:
Streets where tightness showcases power-line poles that do not help and stand out more then a block with a lot more green and trees with the poles.
To the extent that I can understand your gripe, this sounds like a DavePa pet peeve that DavePa, and very few others, finds aesthetically concerning in an old and dense Northeastern city.

Quote:
Many do not realize leaving blight for years in a unsafe and looks awful condition.
This is a strawman argument riddled with weasel words. Name one person who's touted places like Strawberry Mansion and Nicetown as turnkey neighborhoods primed for rapid gentrification.

Quote:
Despite the neighborhood elevated as gentrifying and highly recommended still hurt outsider opinions of the city.
See above.

Quote:
The == we don't care what outsiders think or perceive-- fixes nothing. It means Philly struggles much more to show much more improvement[...]
This is a strawman argument without weasel words.

Quote:
[...]if the blight was not removed BEFORE the gentrifying began. It creates a still dirtier and run-down appearance despite signs of renewal all around.
But gentrification doesn't always spring from working and middle class neighborhoods that all agree are baseline safe and stable. Just to name an example in Pittsburgh, where I had the pleasure of returningthis weekend, Garfield is undergoing gentrification yet started off (and to an extent, still has) dicey and rough spots, not dissimilar to Point Breeze in Philadelphia.

Quote:
*** Clean the streets though as a necessary value. Philly -- should not be the ONLY Major city without city street-sweeping services. It shows, and that IS A PROBLEM. Even shows in street-views 360's.
Once again, I agree.

Quote:
It really does and how NEW Infill has still blight left around it -- till years might pass and it finally is replaced and removed. (not all can afford CC and how its business clean the streets by a private service that all can benefit).
Addressing your new sub-points, many desirable neighborhoods are outside Center City, yet not a complete filthy mess.

Quote:
My understanding is FUNDING is there. The city just gave up the fight with people on these streets with claims of no place to move vehicles to?
As much as I'd love the City to be sitting on top of a giant pile of money, that simply doesn't square with reality. I don't know the answer to this one, though, and will credit you for bringing up a good point.

Quote:
It is unfortunate and ALL these aspects can effect a second rate stigma and KEEP it ongoing.
As I understood your post, you made one good point regarding street cleaning. If I misunderstood anything else, I encourage you to rephrase.

Quote:
Just addressing the topic. Not bashing. But these are valid points.
You sort of addressed the topic and made one valid point. Your post didn't strike me as mean-spirited, though, so I'll give you that.

Old 04-24-2017, 03:16 PM

10,787 posts, read 8,758,078 times
Yes, agreed! That was a fabulous reply to Mr DelCo Times columnist. And, no, you will likely not get even a prefunctory response from him.

One point though some of the tax issues can not be resolved locally. They need resolution by the PA legislature too.
Also this is important to remember about Nutter. His first term was during the Great Recession so there was a lot that could have gone wrong that was out of his control.

Old 04-24-2017, 11:47 PM

311 posts, read 314,141 times
Awesome e-mail reply!

Old 04-25-2017, 06:40 AM

9,380 posts, read 9,335,818 times
thanks everyone!

Old 04-25-2017, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
thanks everyone!
You haven't heard jack from him, right?

Old 04-25-2017, 09:34 AM

9,380 posts, read 9,335,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
You haven't heard jack from him, right?

Nope, I actually had copied the opinion section editors on the email, nothing from anyone...

Old 04-25-2017, 10:06 AM

752 posts, read 460,175 times
Great response Ccomp! We can all trash him for the Geno's/Pat's business but it really is a head scratcher about the Navy Yard. It sounds like he has no idea what has been happening there and the amount of employment that now exists including the HQ of GSK, Urban Outfitters, and Tasktkake to name a few.

Old 04-25-2017, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
Nope, I actually had copied the opinion section editors on the email, nothing from anyone...
That rag knows who their audience is. Bone-headed Negadelphians.

Old 04-25-2017, 03:13 PM

4,087 posts, read 3,243,209 times
Mayor Kenney's 'Zero Waste' Initiative Should Restore Street Sweeping Services

- Street sweeping should be one of our bedrock municipal services, and Philadelphia did provide this service at one point, but as Ryan Briggs reported last year, the program was canceled in response to political pressure from residents who didn't want to move their cars.
- Restoring the service has a political problem, not a money problem: it would cost only $18 million to buy the sweepers and just $3 million in annual salaries to clean the city every other week.
- Jim Kenney pledged during the 2015 campaign to bring the service back, but after he was elected, he suggested there could be an opt-out provision for areas with strong opposition to alternate-side parking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia