Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2017, 01:58 AM

385 posts, read 396,427 times

Advertisements

I am 26 , im a college student. I work, live at home....I do think some of this does exist. But truthfully, i think alot of this exist in many cities. Perfect example and this is so true. My dad is in his mid 50's and feels that the city is trying to be New York, and that everything should stay the same. Me on the other hand i am actually happy that the city is striving and im open to the development. I told my dad the city cant stay the same forever. But i do think alot of that "Negadelphian" stuff is due to the gentrification that is taking place in alot of neighborhoods. I think alot of those people feel like "I've lived here all my life, and the building of new homes and sky high rent and affordability is not matching" . People feel some way about that, like they building all this new stuff and its like we would like something nice and reasonable also. Which i can totally understand. But at the same time i would rather the city not look like its completely abandoned. I think just the way things are presented to alot of these areas. But i am one who wants to see the city do good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2017, 10:52 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,678,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy215267 View Post
I am 26 , im a college student. I work, live at home....I do think some of this does exist. But truthfully, i think alot of this exist in many cities. Perfect example and this is so true. My dad is in his mid 50's and feels that the city is trying to be New York, and that everything should stay the same. Me on the other hand i am actually happy that the city is striving and im open to the development. I told my dad the city cant stay the same forever. But i do think alot of that "Negadelphian" stuff is due to the gentrification that is taking place in alot of neighborhoods. I think alot of those people feel like "I've lived here all my life, and the building of new homes and sky high rent and affordability is not matching" . People feel some way about that, like they building all this new stuff and its like we would like something nice and reasonable also. Which i can totally understand. But at the same time i would rather the city not look like its completely abandoned. I think just the way things are presented to alot of these areas. But i am one who wants to see the city do good.
Interestingly lots of folks who are upset with the changing landscape do not realize that through out Philadelphia's history it has always been changing. Any old photos of the city, going back to the dawn of photography until now, will show you that.

Old 05-02-2017, 12:20 PM

149 posts, read 322,585 times
I feel like the "Negadelphians" are mainly those provincial types that think that everything that is "different" is bad. If they (or their family or friends) didn't build it/make it/change it, it's bad. It could be as big as "those people" moving into the neighborhood or something as small as someone trying to clean up their steps. Which, naturally, leads them to blame everything that goes wrong on those changes that those outsiders are making.

I also feel like the political situation in Harrisburg comes into play too. Philly is not seen favorably by the rest of the state so it doesn't get the funding that other major NE metro's do.

Edit: In regards to the Preston & Steve comment's on Barbuzzo's, those comments came from 40+ year olds with kids that live outside the city who are from outside the area to begin with. You can't call Preston & Steve Negadelphians because their from Tennessee & Long Island respectively lol.

Last edited by NovaDragon; 05-02-2017 at 12:23 PM.. Reason: Forgot to add

Old 05-02-2017, 09:41 PM

385 posts, read 396,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
Interestingly lots of folks who are upset with the changing landscape do not realize that through out Philadelphia's history it has always been changing. Any old photos of the city, going back to the dawn of photography until now, will show you that.
I Agree.

Old 05-03-2017, 12:13 AM

2,130 posts, read 1,445,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MB1562 View Post
I'm a transplant from outside the region. I've found that people my age (20s) who came here from somewhere else tend to love Philadelphia and see most of the good that this city offers. The negativity seems to stem almost entirely from lifers (of any age) who are bitter and still act like the city hasn't moved past 1991. They tend to have a strong suspicion (and sometimes hatred) of transplants because they know they are something that is truly helping to revitalize the city. They'd rather see the city stay the cesspool it was while they were growing up.

This is one big reason why I make friends with mostly other transplants, because the long-time locals' attitudes are often unbearable.
It's this attitude right here^^^

You should take some time and discuss with the natives (especially blue collar people over the age of 40) why they feel the way they do ... And try not to get huffy when they tell you things you don't want to hear or don't believe .
Open-mindedness and understanding are key.
Until you've experienced what many of these people have had to endure, lower your nose.

Let me tell you something about some, not all, of these transplants: A lot of them can get uppity, snotty, whatever you want to call it, especially when they hear that white, blue collar, Philly accent. I've experienced it, I've seen it.
Ask the natives in Fishtown, Port Richmond and South Philly how pompous and unfriendly some (not all) of them can be.

I know a gay man, a writer, socially liberal, originally from the suburbs of Philly, who now resides in Port Richmond, even he'll tell you how unbearable many of these wonderful transplants and their attitudes towards the locals are.

Look, I think it's great people are spending big bucks to move into the neighborhoods mentioned above. But don't move in with the attitude that because you think you're the 'savior,' you can look down at all the original neighbors. I can see looking down at the true dirtballs, but don't act a certain way towards the blue collar people and their high school diplomas who take care of business.

BTW, nobody wants to see the city remain a 'cesspool,' get that out of your head.

And stop taking for granted that it's only transplants who are helping to revitalize the city, it's not. Besides paying taxes, what exactly are you doing to help?

Last edited by 2002 Subaru; 05-03-2017 at 12:48 AM..

Old 05-03-2017, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
Let's be realistic - for every neighborhood that's "coming back," there's another that's "going down."

I don't know one native Philadelphian who's complaining about the parts of the city that are getting better ... lotta nonsense in this thread. My dad is 78, from North Philly, a former Teamster, generally very negative, and he thinks what's happened in Northern Liberties, Fishtown, Center City, Fairmount, South Philly, etc is wonderful. He never says 'no' to a trip Downtown.

You have to take into consideration where the negative people live. Heck, if I lived in Mayfair or SW Philly, I'd "want out," too!

Last edited by 2002 Subaru; 05-03-2017 at 12:32 AM..

Old 05-03-2017, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loose cannon View Post
That old beaten down negative attitude is largely gone except for displaced factory workers in the Northeast who listen to haor metal on satellite radio and reminisce about seeing Motley Crue at the Spectrum in 1985.
It was 1984 and it was a helluva show!

Old 05-03-2017, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NovaDragon View Post
I feel like the "Negadelphians" are mainly those provincial types that think that everything that is "different" is bad. If they (or their family or friends) didn't build it/make it/change it, it's bad. It could be as big as "those people" moving into the neighborhood or something as small as someone trying to clean up their steps. Which, naturally, leads them to blame everything that goes wrong on those changes that those outsiders are making.

People are getting upset because someone cleaned their steps?

Old 05-03-2017, 07:10 AM

1,943 posts, read 1,470,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2002 Subaru View Post
It's this attitude right here^^^

You should take some time and discuss with the natives (especially blue collar people over the age of 40) why they feel the way they do ... And try not to get huffy when they tell you things you don't want to hear or don't believe .
Open-mindedness and understanding are key.
Until you've experienced what many of these people have had to endure, lower your nose.

Let me tell you something about some, not all, of these transplants: A lot of them can get uppity, snotty, whatever you want to call it, especially when they hear that white, blue collar, Philly accent. I've experienced it, I've seen it.
Ask the natives in Fishtown, Port Richmond and South Philly how pompous and unfriendly some (not all) of them can be.

I know a gay man, a writer, socially liberal, originally from the suburbs of Philly, who now resides in Port Richmond, even he'll tell you how unbearable many of these wonderful transplants and their attitudes towards the locals are.

Look, I think it's great people are spending big bucks to move into the neighborhoods mentioned above. But don't move in with the attitude that because you think you're the 'savior,' you can look down at all the original neighbors. I can see looking down at the true dirtballs, but don't act a certain way towards the blue collar people and their high school diplomas who take care of business.

BTW, nobody wants to see the city remain a 'cesspool,' get that out of your head.

And stop taking for granted that it's only transplants who are helping to revitalize the city, it's not. Besides paying taxes, what exactly are you doing to help?
This is a good one. The king of being judgemental toward other people on this thread is now telling someone else to stop judging "his people". Yeah, okay.

And what do I do? Well, like you said I pay taxes to the city. I spend my money in the city. I keep my unit upkept, and I'm one of the few on my block who cleans up the trash that lands in front of my building almost every day. Most of the long time neighbors can't be bothered with that one. I also chose to stay and teach in the city schools, where the conditions are total crap and the pay is low. It would have been very easy to decamp to the suburbs and make a whole lot more money with less work and better conditions.

The fact remains, it is some (not all) Negedelphian natives who hold this city back, not the transplants who have brought about the revitalization of the city.

Last edited by MB1562; 05-03-2017 at 07:59 AM..

Old 05-03-2017, 09:20 AM

13,248 posts, read 33,367,912 times
I have to say that this is not unique to Philadelphia. I live close to Allentown and I can't tell you how many people that have lived here their whole lives talk about how wonderful Allentown was when they were growing up. Since we moved here at maybe it's lowest point, we tend to just just see how far it's come, and it's core has really gotten nicer in the last five years. Many of those same people have the same thoughts about Philadelphia - thinking it's still stuck in the 80's- because they haven't visited in the last decade. People just need to get out more.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia