Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2017, 09:46 AM

44 posts, read 34,011 times

Advertisements

So we are a family of 4 (kids 11 and 13), and 2 small dogs relocating to Phildelphia in the next 3 or 4 months for 3 years.
When researching where to live, the area around Radnor appeared to fit the bill; Mainline so hubby could take the train into the city centre to work (Walnut street); suburban area so the kids could have some independence, and space for the two dogs. Good schools are a priority.
The dogs are small, but they are bumpkins. Here, in the Cotswolds, we're surrounded by beautiful rolling countryside where I usually walk the dogs off the lead, walking them on the lead is going to come as a bit of a shock to them.
We live in a market town so the kids don't need me to drive them everywhere to meet their friends and it's relatively safe. A suburbs, I hope, would be similar in that regard.

However, very fortuitously, my husbands company have agreed to pay for schooling

So now I'm wondering if this changes the choices we might make about where to live?

Could we live in the city? Selfishly, hubby and I would love to but I'm concerned that the kids wouldn't have as many opportunities to get out on their own and meet friends. Also could the dogs find themselves too housebound? They really need to see some green space.

We have a familiarisation visit booked for the last week of June. I'm just wondering now, before booking accommodation, should we think outside the box?

The move is temporary and we plan to rent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2017, 10:33 PM

4,927 posts, read 14,216,234 times
The best source of info or advice should probably come from your husbands place of employment but I'll add my 2 cents for what its worth.

If there is no cap on school spending Episcopal Academy is the 2nd highest rated private school in Pennsylvania but its fairly expensive at $33,000 per year. A+ for college readiness. Stellar reputation on future job resumes.

It is Located in Newtown Square approximately 5 miles S of Radnor. There is a newly built enormous master planned community(like 500 new homes , pool, clubhouse, tennis courts etc etc ) located right down the road from Episcopal.Community is named Liseter . May be worth looking into. Perhaps a good place for your kids to meet new' friends as just about everyone who lives there is going to be new themselves. I have no affiliation with Liseter or know anyone that lives there so if its of any interest to you please do your homework to make sure its the right fit for your family.

You should feel at home at least from a setting standpoint out in the NW suburbs the further west you go the hillier and scenic it gets. Perhaps not as dramatic as Cotswolds. Newtown Square and Chester County are home to many equestrian facilities and open land preserves. Not too far away maybe 5 minutes would be Ridley Creek State Park and Tyler Arboretum where your dogs could roam free a bit. Watch out for ticks though.

FWIW The public schools in the NW suburbs are terrifiic, among the best in the USA. I believe of the 25 top rated high schools in the USA 5 were from the NW suburbs of Philly which is extraordinary considering we are only the 7th largest metro in the USA.

Last edited by rainrock; 05-11-2017 at 11:13 PM..

Old 05-11-2017, 10:39 PM

4,927 posts, read 14,216,234 times
Could you live in the city? I think you could. You would just have to do your homework regarding schools.

Center City Philadelphia has some of the best urban neighborhoods in the country. Rittenhouse Square,Society Hill, Old City, Logan Square, Art Museum, Spring Garden,Fairmount,Bella Vista,Queen Village.
The fly in the ointment regarding Center City is that it can get fairly sketchy a couplemiles away which is the case in most big cities.

There is a very good park system near Center City for the dogs. There is Schuylkill River Trail which runs thru Center City and that leads to Kelly Drive + Fairmount Park. Great outdoor possibilities for families and pets.

In NW Philadlephia Chestnut Hill,West Mount Airy, East Falls are very nice neighborhoods.

Old 05-12-2017, 02:20 AM

Thank you very much for your thoughtful response. Rainrock - I notice you are in Villanova. One of the schools we're visiting is in Villanova.

Having just shared this with my husband, he's convinced that we need to be in the suburbs to access the best schools. $33,000 a year is out of our range. We're working with around $20,000. We're practicing Catholics, so that would be preference, as this would help the kids acclimate. Both kids will start in Middle school but my daughter will go up to High school next year so I will looking for a school that has both a middle and high school for her. I don't mind separating them to get them into the right schools for them - my son at 11 years old, and makes out he's allergic to girls at the moment, is quite keen on an all boys school.

I've been googling satellite pictures of Valley Forge - that's looks beautiful. I don't think the The Cotswolds aren't dramatic per se, I'd suggest more picturesque. Downtown Abbey was shot in a nearby village. Of this images I've seen, I love the wooded aspect of Devon. I grew up in the Fenlands which is like living on flat prairie land, not many trees. We had a couple of years in London. Most of our lives though we've lived here in the green countryside of Oxfordshire.

I'm waiting for husbands employer to put me in touch with a relocation consultant who, I believe, will be based in Phildelphia. However, I'd like to have a few other perspectives too. So your suggestions are very mcuh appreciated - thanks

Old 05-12-2017, 06:04 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,758,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteHorseFlier View Post
Thank you very much for your thoughtful response. Rainrock - I notice you are in Villanova. One of the schools we're visiting is in Villanova.

Having just shared this with my husband, he's convinced that we need to be in the suburbs to access the best schools. $33,000 a year is out of our range. We're working with around $20,000. We're practicing Catholics, so that would be preference, as this would help the kids acclimate. Both kids will start in Middle school but my daughter will go up to High school next year so I will looking for a school that has both a middle and high school for her. I don't mind separating them to get them into the right schools for them - my son at 11 years old, and makes out he's allergic to girls at the moment, is quite keen on an all boys school.

I've been googling satellite pictures of Valley Forge - that's looks beautiful. I don't think the The Cotswolds aren't dramatic per se, I'd suggest more picturesque. Downtown Abbey was shot in a nearby village. Of this images I've seen, I love the wooded aspect of Devon. I grew up in the Fenlands which is like living on flat prairie land, not many trees. We had a couple of years in London. Most of our lives though we've lived here in the green countryside of Oxfordshire.

I'm waiting for husbands employer to put me in touch with a relocation consultant who, I believe, will be based in Phildelphia. However, I'd like to have a few other perspectives too. So your suggestions are very mcuh appreciated - thanks
Since you are practicing Catholics look at Academy of Notre Dame de Namor. It's a private middle and high school for girls in Villanova. My niece graduated from there so I have some familiarity with it.

If you have some interest in actually living in the city, there are two Catholic high schools in Center City. JW Hallahan Catholic Girls High School and Roman Catholic High School for boys.

Old 05-12-2017, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
Since you are practicing Catholics look at Academy of Notre Dame de Namor. It's a private middle and high school for girls in Villanova. My niece graduated from there so I have some familiarity with it.
Yep. That's where we have a visit planned

My children are not old enough for High School yet. My son will be in middle school and my daughter will be for a year.

Old 05-12-2017, 07:02 AM

151 posts, read 199,272 times
You can't go wrong with the Main Line if you've got kids and are thus seeking great schools. It will require more research to send them to school in the city, and will cost private/catholic tuition since the public schools in Philadelphia are not perceived as good.

There's tons of parks and rolling hills close to the Main Line. You mentioned Valley Forge - that's a short drive from Devon or Wayne. Valley Forge is one of my favorite places to bring my dog, there are lots of hiking trails and vast open fields. Generally, leash laws are strict here, but that's not to say anyone is enforcing them. I know Lower Merion Township (east of Radnor Township) has an off-leash permit that permits dog owners to let their dogs off leash at certain parks in the township. Radnor or Tredyffrin Township might have similar permits.

Old 05-12-2017, 07:38 AM

744 posts, read 775,405 times
I think you should look at Chestnut Hill which is in the City. Norwood-fontbonne and our Mother of Consolation are well regarded and the tuition is under $20k per year. If you live near an entrance to the Wissahickon you could have plenty of green space. Likely more than you would have in the suburbs.

Valley Forge is nice but would be a very long commute to Center City. Would need to drive a distance just to get to a train station.

Old 05-12-2017, 10:34 AM

This is great Thanks. I've looked at Chestnut Hill and online it comes across beautifully. But schools must be our priority as we need to drop the kids back into the uk in 3 years, and we want to give them the best chance possible. They're academically inclined.

Old 05-12-2017, 12:33 PM

40 posts, read 46,876 times
Have you considered Waldron Mercy Academy and Merion Mercy Academy located in Merion, on the eastern mainline? Waldron mercy is coed through eighth grade and then your daughter could attend Merion mercy which is located on the same campus for high school.

Narberth (town next to Merion) has a big July 4 festival if you wanted to check that out. It also has a strong Catholic community centered around Saint Margaret church and school. Narberth specifically gives kids quite a bit of independence since there are ample sidewalks and neighbors looking out for each other.

The other areas/schools you are looking at are absolutely beautiful; they are just farther from the city and a little bit more car oriented communities, but absolutely gorgeous. It just depends on what life style you were looking for It sounds like you have many nice options; I don't think you can go wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia