Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2017, 10:08 PM

1,140 posts, read 1,395,818 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillytransplant13 View Post
You guys are doing a great job at selling Delco
Why is that funny?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2017, 10:11 PM

151 posts, read 196,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motownewave View Post
Why is that funny?
It's a joke. You aren't selling it. This thread is incredibly negative.

Old 05-24-2017, 10:18 PM

1,140 posts, read 1,395,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillytransplant13 View Post
It's a joke. You aren't selling it. This thread is incredibly negative.
Negative or do you mean realistic? Delco is a laughingstock compared to the three other suburban counties of Philly. I live in Delco and don't believe in sugarcoating the truth.

Old 05-25-2017, 06:41 AM

9,349 posts, read 9,228,850 times
Quote:
Garnet Valley has some nice houses and high-ranking public schools, but overall is a miserable place. Aston, Brookhaven, and Chichester (let's call them the ABCs) are just plain disgusting. Chester on the other hand... seriously, try to pretend it doesn't exist. It's really that bad.
Quote:
Negative or do you mean realistic? Delco is a laughingstock compared to the three other suburban counties of Philly. I live in Delco and don't believe in sugarcoating the truth.

You have some serious problems. Garnet Valley miserable? Delaware County is one of the most socio-economically diverse counties in the nation, it quite literally features the top and bottom of the economic spectrum, and some of the best towns and architecture in the region. hardly a laughingstock.

You sound like a famous poster from Pittsburgh who crawls out of the woodwork to spew hate at the Philadelphia area.

So please tell me why Delco sucks so bad, and why Garnet Vallet is miserable even though its has nice homes and high ranking school district. Seems like you cancelled that one out. Also, that is incredibly rude to refer to townships where thousands of people live (that are perfectly fine) as disgusting. I only see one disgusting thing on here. It is probably pointless arguing with you, I remember your idiotic posts from a year ago, idk why you decided to come back, bad day in your shiny life?

Old 05-25-2017, 08:08 AM

13,250 posts, read 33,387,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
You have some serious problems. Garnet Valley miserable? Delaware County is one of the most socio-economically diverse counties in the nation, it quite literally features the top and bottom of the economic spectrum, and some of the best towns and architecture in the region. hardly a laughingstock.

You sound like a famous poster from Pittsburgh who crawls out of the woodwork to spew hate at the Philadelphia area.

So please tell me why Delco sucks so bad, and why Garnet Vallet is miserable even though its has nice homes and high ranking school district. Seems like you cancelled that one out. Also, that is incredibly rude to refer to townships where thousands of people live (that are perfectly fine) as disgusting. I only see one disgusting thing on here. It is probably pointless arguing with you, I remember your idiotic posts from a year ago, idk why you decided to come back, bad day in your shiny life?
motownewave will not be responding. :-)

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 05-25-2017, 09:46 AM

4,412 posts, read 9,099,202 times
I can concur those Delco cities are pits. I have taken the train past them and held my nose and grimaced. Absolute garbage!

Old 05-25-2017, 02:38 PM

222 posts, read 193,893 times
There are some nice townships in delco, but there are also, however, quite a bit that are not even worth looking at... (garbage) far more than you would find in Chester/Montgomery/Bucks counties.

As I said before Delco is very largely blue collar and working class. Unlike the other three suburban counties which are wealthier and more white collar. I'm not even a big fan of suburbs in general, but I would much prefer Montgomery county or the Main Line over Delco any day.

Old 05-25-2017, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdez View Post
There are some nice townships in delco, but there are also, however, quite a bit that are not even worth looking at... (garbage) far more than you would find in Chester/Montgomery/Bucks counties.
More of Delco is nice than not nice. About 1/3 of the county is on the low end, 1/3 in the middle, and 1/3 on the upper end, and you know when you cross into them.

Old 05-25-2017, 02:56 PM

222 posts, read 193,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
More of Delco is nice than not nice. About 1/3 of the county is on the low end, 1/3 in the middle, and 1/3 on the upper end, and you know when you cross into them.
I would say its more 60/40 not very nice to nice but ok. Delaware county's rates in drug use, teenage pregnancies, and school performances are quite far on the other end compared to the other counties. With a few exceptions Delco is very much a dump overall, sorry to say.

Old 05-25-2017, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdez View Post
I would say its more 60/40 not very nice to nice but ok. Delaware county's rates in drug use, teenage pregnancies, and school performances are quite far on the other end compared to the other counties. With a few exceptions Delco is very much a dump overall, sorry to say.
I am going to prove you wrong right now... I am going to list every municipality in Delaware County under a series of categories: GOOD/GREAT, OKAY, POOR.

GOOD/ GREAT:
Boroughs...Chester Heights, Media, Rose Valley, Swarthmore

Townships... Aston, Bethel, Chadds Ford, Concord, Edgemont, Haverford, Marple, Middletown, Nether Providence, Newtown Square, Radnor, Springfield, Thornbury, Upper Providence.

Census Designated places... Ardmore (half Delco), Broomall, Lima, Village Green/ Green Ridge

Unincorporated Communities... Glen Mills, Garrett Hill, Riddlewood, Rosemont, Thornton, Wallingford, Wawa, Wayne, Villanova (part Delco).

OKAY:
Boroughs... Brookhaven, Millbourne, Morton, Parkside, Ridley Park, Rutledge

Townships... Ridley, Upper Chichester,

Census Designated Places... Drexel Hill

POOR:
Boroughs... Aldan, Clifton Heights, Collingdale, Colwyn, Darby, East Lansdowne, Eddystone, Folcroft, Glenolden, Lansdowne, Marcus Hook, Norwood, Prospect Park, Sharon Hill, Trainer, Upland, Yeadon.

Townships... Chester, Darby, Lower Chichester, Tinicum, Upper Darby.

Census Designated Places... Folsom, Linwood, Woodlyn.

Now, I have attached a map of the county (school districts shown), the red line is generally the cutoff between the OKAY/GOOD/GREAT, and the POOR. That is over 2/3 of the land area AND over 2/3 of the population that lives in the OKAY/GOOD/GREAT part.

Some general comparisons, I am rounding to the nearest whole number and these numbers are from a few years ago.

Chester County, PA: Median Household Income: $81,000. Median Family Income: $100,000
Montgomery County, PA: Median Household Income: $75,000. Median Family Income: $90,000
Bucks County, PA: Median Household Income $60,000. Median Family Income: $70,000
Delaware County, PA: Median Household Income $52,000. Median Family Income: $65,000

Poverty Rates:
Chester County: ~5%
Montgomery County: ~4%
Bucks County: ~4.5%
Delaware County: ~8%

To sum it up. Delaware County is hardly a dump, there are plenty of very desirable areas as well as many middle class areas, and less than desirable areas in the southeastern half of the county. Delco is still the 4th wealthiest county in the state and finishes in the upper end of the wealth spectrum from a national standpoint. Bucks County stats are not that far off Delco.

Chester County and Montgomery County would rank among the top counties no matter what state they were located in, so comparing Delco to those is a tough match (and Delco still does just fine).

Many of the regions wealthiest zipcodes are also located in Delaware County, I just don't feel like typing the list.

And finally something to put into perspective. Delaware County is home to Chester, one of the poorest cities in the state, YET the county still manages to have a rather high income rate and low poverty rate. That info proves how economically well off the rest of the county is to balance that out.

So for all those looking to move to Delaware County, there are tons of wonderful, safe, wealthy, beautiful areas to choose from.

So if you are going to make a stupid claim, please back it, or just allow me to shut it down.
Attached Thumbnails
Relocating to zip 19061.(I have not traveled north of South Carolina.)-delaware-county-pa.png  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia