Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-06-2017, 02:35 PM

2 posts, read 1,035 times

Advertisements

My friend sent me to this sight with survey questions to help other thread viewers guide me towards my future location.

When are you moving?- As soon as possible.
Where are you coming from?- Southern Delaware County, near Chester
Why are you moving?- Both personal reasons and to find work.
Where will you be working?- Recent graduate, still looking for work.
Have you been here yet?- Yes, but not all neighborhoods.

Will you buy or rent?- Renting
If buying, are you looking for a house or a condo? How much can you spend?
If renting, are you looking for an apartment, a townhouse or loft? How much can you spend?
Do you prefer hi-rise or walk up?- I am looking for an apartment costing about 500 to 700 per month, though I am open to a higher cost. Either hi-rise or walkup is fine.

Do you have a preference of living in a NJ or PA suburb?- NJ is a no; with PA an adjacent county is fine, but Philadelphia is preferred.

Are you married or single? Do you have children? I am single currently, but engaged. My fiancé is waiting to have her visa approved, and when she comes, I will marry her and adopt her daughter.
Do you prefer public or private schools? Neither, our daughter will be homeschooled or have an online school.
Do you have pets? Yes, I will bring my cat with me, and I would like to find a place with at least a 2 pet/cat policy.
Do you want or need a yard?-Nope
Are you keeping a car? Short-term no- long-term, yes
Do you prefer bustling activity or calm and quiet? Doesn't matter.

What do you want to be closest to?
Work
Basic services (supermarket, drugstore, etc.)
Train or subway stations-

Do you want to live with people of a similar age, race, religion or sexual preference or do you prefer a diverse neighborhood?

Coke or Pepsi? - Pepsi in general, unless there is Mexican Coke or Coke Life.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2017, 03:03 PM

7,731 posts, read 5,458,122 times
Well your budget is very low. You could probably find studios in that range south of Snyder or somewhere else in south philly. I would avoid looking in grays ferry.

Something like this: https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1...96825534_zpid/

Also I hope you are aware you need to put down about 3 months worth of rent the moment you sign.

Old 06-06-2017, 03:38 PM

2 posts, read 1,035 times
Yes, I know about the 3 month rule. I would like to be able to pay upfront, since I am a recent graduate looking for work. Some places require work verification, but I am still in the process of that.

I checked out the link, and South Philly wasn't quite what I thought of. Do you know any good North Philly leads?

Old 06-07-2017, 10:10 AM

2,527 posts, read 2,643,218 times
dirtypirate, why would you avoid looking in Grays Ferry? Is it because of the area's safety, or does it tend to be too expensive rent-wise?

Old 06-07-2017, 02:18 PM

1,339 posts, read 2,471,297 times
Grays Ferry is hood. By the way, this is a helpful map - don't know how scientific it is, but directionaly accurate:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer...75.118135&z=11

Old 06-08-2017, 06:28 AM

1,943 posts, read 1,472,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angus215 View Post
Grays Ferry is hood. By the way, this is a helpful map - don't know how scientific it is, but directionaly accurate:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer...75.118135&z=11
There's a lot of outdated notions in that map, especially in South Philly.

Old 06-08-2017, 09:18 AM

1,339 posts, read 2,471,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MB1562 View Post
There's a lot of outdated notions in that map, especially in South Philly.
Yeah, I don't know if it's ever updated or what. So, there may be areas where gentrification has expanded but aren't reflected on there. Like I said though, directionally accurate and a helpful resource for someone who is unfamiliar with the city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia