U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2017, 09:16 AM

4,864 posts, read 4,506,319 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
I don't want anything, as I will never live in Delco again. I lived out west (Colorado) due to a job transfer, and will probably move back in the next few years. However, that doesn't mean I can't comment on what I see in Delco. Growth is normal, and I am OK with it, but not the type of growth I've seen in Delco. Especially the inner burbs which have just become like West Philly.
Well you are talking about two different arguments...

1. The growth you see in Media, Garnet Valley, Newtown Square, Chadds Ford: houses, stores, offices, etc. is NO different then the growth you see in suburbs across the nation.

2. The inner-ring/ old suburbs closer to the Philadelphia border are seeing the runoff from Philadelphia. As the city improves and pushes its wealth circle outward, the poor relocate to the closest areas, which are are the older working class towns of Bucks/ Delaware Counties and South Jersey.

You lumping the entire county into your 1 rather negative outlook is again silly.

Aside from the inner towns, what kind of growth do you see in Delco that is so different? I am pretty sure you will find a Liseter type community, Whole Foods, corporate park, etc. being built outside of New York, Chicago, Atlanta, and LA as well.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2017, 09:26 AM

4,265 posts, read 7,189,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post

Aside from the inner towns, what kind of growth do you see in Delco that is so different? I am pretty sure you will find a Liseter type community, Whole Foods, corporate park, etc. being built outside of New York, Chicago, Atlanta, and LA as well.....
That's exactly right. And if Pilot1 is accustomed to living in Colorado, I wonder what the excuse is for that type of growth out there.

Places like Denver are the EPITOME of endless growth in McMansion tract housing and strip malls, except in a way that does VERY little to preserve character and land like you'll find much more often in the Philly 'burbs. Not to mention the Philly area is much more slow-growing overall, so the doomsday type of attitudes are laughable.

Old 07-26-2017, 09:32 AM

13,295 posts, read 7,290,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
That's exactly right. And if Pilot1 is accustomed to living in Colorado, I wonder what the excuse is for that type of growth out there.

Places like Denver are the EPITOME of endless growth in McMansion tract housing and strip malls, except in a way that does VERY little to preserve character and land like you'll find much more often in the Philly 'burbs. Not to mention the Philly area is much more slow-growing overall, so the doomsday type of attitudes are laughable.

Most of the suburbs around Denver are newer, and yes, cul-de-sac tract housing similar to SoCal. The older suburbs are still nice however, without the grittiness of the Upper Darby's like around Philly. I don' t consider Philly burbs slow growing. We're seeing more, and more McMansions in Chester County. I am not against growth, just not poorly planned growth where the infrastructure cannot handle the population.

I shouldn't lump the entire Declo in with the inner burbs, and I'm sure the outer sections, closer to Chesco, are fine, but again traffic has become terrible.

Old 07-26-2017, 09:50 AM

4,265 posts, read 7,189,266 times
Quote:
Most of the suburbs around Denver are newer, and yes, cul-de-sac tract housing similar to SoCal. The older suburbs are still nice however, without the grittiness of the Upper Darby's like around Philly.
Philly has plenty of older suburbs that are extremely nice and loaded with character, including sections of Upper Darby (i.e., Drexel Hill).

There's certainly some portions of Philly's inner-suburbs that have seen better days, but by-and-large, their decline is greatly exaggerated.

Quote:
I shouldn't lump the entire Declo in with the inner burbs, and I'm sure the outer sections, closer to Chesco, are fine, but again traffic has become terrible.
Traffic is terrible in essentially every major urban area, but in the Philly area, it's actually on the lighter side for a metro area its size: INRIX Global Traffic Scorecard

Last edited by Duderino; 07-26-2017 at 10:02 AM..

Old 07-26-2017, 10:34 AM

8,195 posts, read 4,398,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
Well you are talking about two different arguments...

1. The growth you see in Media, Garnet Valley, Newtown Square, Chadds Ford: houses, stores, offices, etc. is NO different then the growth you see in suburbs across the nation.

2. The inner-ring/ old suburbs closer to the Philadelphia border are seeing the runoff from Philadelphia. As the city improves and pushes its wealth circle outward, the poor relocate to the closest areas, which are are the older working class towns of Bucks/ Delaware Counties and South Jersey.

You lumping the entire county into your 1 rather negative outlook is again silly.

Just an aside. Sometimes I feel like I'm the only "old head" who sees many of these changes you have talked about as positive.

Old 07-26-2017, 11:43 AM

4,864 posts, read 4,506,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
Just an aside. Sometimes I feel like I'm the only "old head" who sees many of these changes you have talked about as positive.
And thank goodness

Old 07-26-2017, 01:22 PM

168 posts, read 62,057 times
It’s just the same classic NIMBY mentality taking different forms:

• I moved to the country now no one else can move here and create congestion and stress the infrastructure
• I built a 3 story house on a 2 story rowhome block but I’m going to fight the neighbor across the street from doing the same.
• I live in a high rise but no high rise can be built near me and block my view

Old 07-26-2017, 04:06 PM

296 posts, read 173,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PHL10 View Post
Its just the same classic NIMBY mentality taking different forms:

I moved to the country now no one else can move here and create congestion and stress the infrastructure
I built a 3 story house on a 2 story rowhome block but Im going to fight the neighbor across the street from doing the same.
I live in a high rise but no high rise can be built near me and block my view
Don't get me wrong. I am very pro development. I've always wished that Philadelphia had its own version of Buckhead in Atlanta or Stamford in CT (I'm hoping Conshohocken turns into this a little bit). But to me, Newtown Square is not the place for all this mass development. NS does't have the same character it used to. I think overall, it would have been better to redevelop older, more obsolete buildings on Route 3 than to build up the Ellis Preserve.

Old 07-26-2017, 06:23 PM

1,466 posts, read 919,560 times
What happened to Newtown Square is that you built a house in the 80s there. More and more people came after you and built houses. All the new residents needed schools, shopping and services so they were built to serve the new residents.

Ultimately you are part of what changed the place. Own it.

The same thing has happened around every large city from Paris, France to Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. The farms and woodlands, unless protected, are sold off to build houses and businesses. The character of the area changes. Life goes on.

Old 07-26-2017, 10:29 PM

23 posts, read 14,248 times
Default Death or rebirth?

Take a drive out Goshen Road west of 252 and tell me NS isn't a quaint, picturesque town with a lot of open space. From when I was a kid, NS was always associated with a long white rail fence along a section of Route 3. That's still there with mostly open space behind it. I would even disagree that 252 itself has changed THAT much from 15 years ago.

Given that there's going to be change and development, I don't consider it a mess at all. Yeah-- traffic can suck at times. Is that any different than Rt 322 and 1, 30 and 100, 202 and 76, etc etc. If you know the roads you can commute to a lot of areas with minimal traffic (KoP, West Chester, Media, Radnor).

I'm not a fan of Toll Brothers but what should have gone there besides new housing? Part of the farm went to EA. Should more stores have been built instead? Larger tracts like what they're building on in Androssan?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or