U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2017, 06:58 AM

4,864 posts, read 4,504,217 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElijahAstin View Post
Getting back to Newtown Square (which is on the Waspier side but has plenty of Irish and Italians, as Delaware County is wont to do), I can't think of anything that makes it stand out from other affluent, spread out, new-ish Philadelphia suburbs. It tapers off in density as you head toward, and into, Chester County, but it's also a large zip code that straddles middle and outer ring suburbia. Hay is for horses, and horses are for glue factories.
Newtown Square I would say has a mix of more extablished money and new money. Garnet Valley is the definition of a shiny new money suburb. (still a wonderful area).

Newtown Square with its location has had an established upper middle class/ upper class community for many decades, as well as some middle class developments, and now this influx of new young families is introducing a new wave of new money. And these are people spending easily $1-2M on a home in a Toll Brothers or Bentley Homes community. As you drive on many of the side roads (Goshen, St Davids, White Horse, etc.) you also see some pretty incredible custom built houses. Teardowns are becoming more and more common in Newtown Square. Similar to the Main Line, small ranch on a 3 acre plot is very attractive to many high-end buyers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2017, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulsurv View Post
Newtown Square has been "trying" to become an extension of the main line for decades. Personally, I never saw the "attraction" of the main line with it's untouchable, entitled attitude. By contrast the "old-guard" of places such as Chadds Ford with their muddy boots, 15-yr-old Volvos and top-notch public school district has much less attitude and BEAUTIFUL countryside in every direction.

I have always found Chadds Ford to a more attactive area to live then the Main Line communities. A very historic, well established monied community that still manages to have a rustic charm to it. My parents are huge fans of Andrew Wyeth, they bought several of his Chadds Ford landscape paintings.

Old 07-31-2017, 08:18 AM

1,563 posts, read 2,439,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElijahAstin View Post
Oh, how ironic to lambast the Oldest of the Old Guard suburbs (in which many Old Guard families still reside), as not being Old Guard enough. We can spar over this more later.
Hey there!!!! I think we did that once - many moons (and threads) ago! Good to "see" you!

Old 08-09-2017, 07:09 AM

25 posts, read 16,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifercheswold View Post
Ugh!!!! What has happened to Newtown Square?

Me and my husband first moved to Philadelphia from Pittsburgh back in the 80s and built a house over on Roberts Road off Sawmill. We loved Ntwn Square so much.

]
You answered your own question. People like you and your husband ruined it.

Old 08-09-2017, 10:22 AM

3,653 posts, read 1,767,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Droop View Post
You answered your own question. People like you and your husband ruined it.
I used to have a saying, reflected in a Manichean division of land (it's either urban or rural, and the twain don't meet), that went as follows:

"By 'moving to the country,' suburbanites destroy the very thing they seek."

That said, I have seen parts of this region where one finds houses on larger lots set back from roads and often shaded by woods that retain a very non-urban character. You usually have to pay a premium to enjoy this privilege, though.

Old 08-09-2017, 11:01 AM

25 posts, read 16,985 times
Moving there isn't really what changes it. It is the people who move there and build new houses. It is common for these people to begrudge the subsequent people who do the same thing.

Old 08-09-2017, 11:11 AM

12,455 posts, read 27,063,999 times
Just a TOS reminder here to keep in mind when you are replying to a post, http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Quote:
Our opinions on a location or issue are just that, opinions. Highly subjective. Personal preferences. Quirks, even. Leave wiggle room for dialogue, others may not see things the same as you, or been there as long as you, and any one of us can be wrong. Pouncing on someone you disagree with runs contrary to the spirit of this board and its members. We are here to help each other.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 08-13-2018, 11:38 AM

1 posts, read 275 times
I am thinking about Liseter and wondering why there are so many houses for sale?

Old 08-13-2018, 01:12 PM

1,563 posts, read 2,439,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
And thank goodness

Hi, cpomp! I, too, was surprised by the growth in NS. Coming back from 5 years in Kennett (talk about growth!), which I loved but had to leave, I went back to work part-time for Delaware County Community College, and could not believe the traffic on 252 even though it's been widened and expanded. Just as bad as it was as a single-lane area (around Rose-tree Park). I know that's technically "Media,', but DCCC is right on the border. I was glad to see the old Gentile's and Delchester Feed pet store there in NS as well as that great Italian market located in the quaint St. Alban's Circle.

Don't like my section of Delco now at all (Brookhaven). Living near 352, I hear sirens at night way too often, and both the CVS and the Walgreens was robbed at gunpoint in the first year (2016-2017) as well as one of the banks. One day, if I can afford it, I'll get back to "The Country." While Kennett is nothing like it was in terms of natural beauty, I could still get in my car and within two miles of the downtown area, ride around beautiful horse farms which I greatly enjoyed.

Old 08-14-2018, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulsurv View Post
Hi, cpomp! I, too, was surprised by the growth in NS. Coming back from 5 years in Kennett (talk about growth!), which I loved but had to leave, I went back to work part-time for Delaware County Community College, and could not believe the traffic on 252 even though it's been widened and expanded. Just as bad as it was as a single-lane area (around Rose-tree Park). I know that's technically "Media,', but DCCC is right on the border. I was glad to see the old Gentile's and Delchester Feed pet store there in NS as well as that great Italian market located in the quaint St. Alban's Circle.

Don't like my section of Delco now at all (Brookhaven). Living near 352, I hear sirens at night way too often, and both the CVS and the Walgreens was robbed at gunpoint in the first year (2016-2017) as well as one of the banks. One day, if I can afford it, I'll get back to "The Country." While Kennett is nothing like it was in terms of natural beauty, I could still get in my car and within two miles of the downtown area, ride around beautiful horse farms which I greatly enjoyed.
Hello One thing I noticed about Newtown Square is that it seems to blend its development quite well with the nature landscape. Minus the main intersection (Route 2 and 252), a lot of new homes and subdivisions are hidden away or limited to 20ish homes (since they are mostly high-end). The outlier is Liseter, which is actually one of the most attractive Toll communities I have seen, even though its a massive community.

But yes, traffic is horrible from Media all the way to KoP these days.

Chadds Ford/ Kennett is still one of my favorite areas, love the variety of homes and bucolic nature, and the wineries. It is a shame you are not enjoying your new area, hopefully one day you can get back out to Kennett.

At least there have a been a lot of improvements in Brookhaven with the new shopping centers and elementary school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or