U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-16-2018, 11:54 AM

1,073 posts, read 1,795,743 times

Advertisements

It is interesting to hear about these growth-related issues, considering that the Philadelphia metro area itself is fairly stagnant, growing at only about 0.3% per year since 2010 according to the Census Bureau. Given that the population in the city itself has finally stabilized, where are people moving out of that are moving into these areas?
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2018, 02:26 PM

4,265 posts, read 7,187,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angus215 View Post
It is interesting to hear about these growth-related issues, considering that the Philadelphia metro area itself is fairly stagnant, growing at only about 0.3% per year since 2010 according to the Census Bureau. Given that the population in the city itself has finally stabilized, where are people moving out of that are moving into these areas?
Other countries (in addition to births). International migration is a huge factor in the Philly area's growth.

Old 08-16-2018, 06:03 PM

4,864 posts, read 4,504,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angus215 View Post
Also keep in mind that the area is quite compact and heavily developed over hundreds of years. It doesn't have the endless sprawl of gigantic counties you see down south or out west.

And the .3% growth per year is not uniformly spread out. For a while it was focused in Montgomery and Chester Counties, and the Northern tip of Delaware County. And all of the towns I mentioned early are on the border of Chester and Delaware County.

Chester County for example has grown around 20% since the year 2000, so the growing pains and cranky neighbor's are beginning to become more prevalent as the county fills up.

South Jersey has been completely stagnant, so almost all the growth in recent years has been centered in the PA burbs, Philadelphia, and Northern Delaware.

And as someone else said, a lot of it is international migration and birth, that is the basis behind the growth in a lot of US cities these days.

Old 08-16-2018, 07:24 PM

2,036 posts, read 1,851,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
My parents live in that area, and when I am home, the development outside of that little radius in Newtown Square is not overwhelming.

\
Driving west toward West Chester from Newtown Square is a gorgeous drive, rolling hills, lots of trees, and a lot of beautiful homes. The only areas that are more bustling with development are near major intersection.

Route 3 and 252, Route 3 and 352, anywhere along 202 or Route 1, and then West Chester itself, but development in those areas is to be expected. I don't really understand why people cry and moan at the site of new homes on of 926 or a new shopping center along 202, it gives off a rather weird unwelcoming vibe.

But anyways, that whole stretch rivals the Main Line in its aesthetics and upkeep, such a beautiful drive out to the wineries in October.
WE looked and looked closer in to Philly, and spent months looking at some lovely areas. When we finally drove towards West Chester we were hooked by the beauty of the area .
Route 3 at certain hours can be pretty full, but it's still, as I say, a "pleasant " drive with so many options.
We really like this area. Yes there is a LOT of building going on but there still does seem to be ample space.

Old 08-16-2018, 08:31 PM

1,563 posts, read 2,439,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
My parents live in that area, and when I am home, the development outside of that little radius in Newtown Square is not overwhelming.

In Edgemont there are a few new subdivisions, but they are generally larger more tasteful looking homes on large plots of land. I also see some large spec houses tucked away from the road.

Driving west toward West Chester from Newtown Square is a gorgeous drive, rolling hills, lots of trees, and a lot of beautiful homes. The only areas that are more bustling with development are near major intersection.

Route 3 and 252, Route 3 and 352, anywhere along 202 or Route 1, and then West Chester itself, but development in those areas is to be expected. I don't really understand why people cry and moan at the site of new homes on of 926 or a new shopping center along 202, it gives off a rather weird unwelcoming vibe.

But anyways, that whole stretch rivals the Main Line in its aesthetics and upkeep, such a beautiful drive out to the wineries in October.
I guess because 926 is so naturally beautiful (although I do admit to using the ACE hardware there on a regular basis, as it allowed me to take my dogs with me to shop). Those rolling hills are so wonderful to drive, and I don't mind homes built way back off the road. I'll be driving that route next week to visit a friend. I guess I just feel badly overall that more folks don't move into established homes instead of the horrid McMansions that have dotted so many areas.

Old 08-17-2018, 08:52 AM

1,073 posts, read 1,795,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
Other countries (in addition to births). International migration is a huge factor in the Philly area's growth.
Well, they must be moving out of other areas in the Philly metro area as well, because the area overall has virtually no growth.

Old 08-18-2018, 02:55 AM

3,653 posts, read 1,767,273 times
A general note:

Were it not for migration from abroad, all of our core cities would post either weak or negative population gains, depending on births vs. deaths, for net domestic migration into every one of them is negative.

Old 08-28-2018, 01:21 PM

66 posts, read 15,615 times
This is my theory, and it's more about Delco in general than Newtown Square:

The City of Philadelphia is gentrifying, which is great. Places like Fishtown and Brewerytown are getting filled with hipsters and the property values are going up. However, the former residents in those places need to go somewhere. Some of them might bounce elsewhere in Philly, but Philly can only handle so many people, and for every hipster going into Philly, there basically needs to be a former resident leaving Philly.

Of all the surrounding counties around Philly, Delco is the most accessible to these transplants (generally poor, generally without a car); it has the lowest housing/rent prices and good public transit options into the city.

Newtown Square has always been too upscale to be directly-impacted, but its indirect effects can be felt. On top of that, its demographics are still great, so its prime space for new houses, shopping centers, etc.

Old 08-29-2018, 03:56 PM

6,014 posts, read 6,515,432 times
Quote:
For a while it was focused in Montgomery and Chester Counties, and the Northern tip of Delaware County.
Don't forget parts of Bucks County, due to NJans and NYers.

Old 09-01-2018, 07:03 AM

13,228 posts, read 7,277,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
Don't forget parts of Bucks County, due to NJans and NYers.
It isn't just Bucks. Many are moving to Montco, and Chester County also, and bringing their attitudes with them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or