Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2017, 11:32 AM

2,130 posts, read 1,448,282 times

Advertisements

Eulogy (Belgian pub @Second and Chestnut) and Percy Street BBQ (9th and South) have both folded. I don't know why, but they were both very popular. Never been to Percy Street, but Eulogy had good food (standout frites) and a great beer selection.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2017, 11:34 AM

377 posts, read 471,920 times
Eulogy's owner said it was because of drugs and crime in Philly, which makes zero sense.

Old 08-11-2017, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timeEd32 View Post
Eulogy's owner said it was because of drugs and crime in Philly, which makes zero sense.
Are you pulling my leg?

Old 08-11-2017, 11:42 AM

OK, it doesn't sound like he was blaming the area, more like difficulty in finding good employees and the legal system. I imagine it's a daunting task in finding solid employees who care.
Eulogy Belgian Tavern in Old City closes; owner cites employees' drug issues

Last edited by 2002 Subaru; 08-11-2017 at 11:52 AM..

Old 08-11-2017, 11:49 AM

744 posts, read 769,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timeEd32 View Post

I think it was drug issues with his employees.

Very sad about Eulogy. I loved getting mussels and fries with a unique beer. It was my first go to spot when I moved to Philly. I was one of the few people that preferred Eulogy to Monks. I preferred the Eulogy fries and strongly preferred the Eulogy burger. Unfortunately it has been a while. I would have loved to go there one last time.

I never really liked Percy Street. As a Kansas City native I found the BBQ to be inferior. The space was cool though.

Old 08-11-2017, 12:15 PM

22,379 posts, read 38,739,951 times
Sad

Also Sarcones Deli closed last week (not their bread bakery)

Two closings on that block of South for restaurants now with Percy Street

I actually liked to go there, not many decent BBQ places in the city

Old 08-11-2017, 12:28 PM

377 posts, read 471,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2002 Subaru View Post
OK, it doesn't sound like he was blaming the area, more like difficulty in finding good employees and the legal system. I imagine it's a daunting task in finding solid employees who care.
Eulogy Belgian Tavern in Old City closes; owner cites employees' drug issues
That makes a bit more sense. I had just seen his FB post and an initial article about, where he said:

Quote:
Thanks for 15 incredible years serving you! Unfortunately, we feel the current epidemic drug and crime spree in Philadelphia has made it too difficult to safely staff and operate our business anymore so we're taking a break.

Old 08-11-2017, 01:26 PM

14,003 posts, read 8,871,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KansastoSouthphilly View Post
Very sad about Eulogy. I loved getting mussels and fries with a unique beer. It was my first go to spot when I moved to Philly. I was one of the few people that preferred Eulogy to Monks. I preferred the Eulogy fries and strongly preferred the Eulogy burger. Unfortunately it has been a while. I would have loved to go there one last time.

I never really liked Percy Street. As a Kansas City native I found the BBQ to be inferior. The space was cool though.
One, it was at Eulogy that I was introduced to the best Belgian-style beer I've yet enjoyed, Delirium Tremens. Two, I'm with you on the relative merits of Eulogy vs. Monk's - and I like Monk's too; Eulogy was simply several levels above it.

Three, it shouldn't surprise you at all that I second your opinion of Percy Street BBQ. That place served Texas-style Q, though, which is unsauced and unseasoned when it comes to your table. Still, it struck me as underwhelming even for Texas Q.

Ever been to Sweet Lucy's up by the prisons on State Road in the Northeast? Run by Carolina expats but most of the Q served there isn't Carolina-style. Best Q joint I've yet eaten at hereabouts. There are a few others I've heard people say good things about but have yet to try, and one I've tried that enjoys a local following that's totally undeserved. (Or perhaps it's just proof that some locals don't know what good Q is.)

You may have seen southbound_295 post somewhere on this board about an area of South Jersey that was awash in good little Q places. I think this Q hotspot has since vanished. Maybe if she checks in on this discussion, she can bring us both back up to speed. On the whole, this area remains a BBQ desert, no matter how many KCBS-sanctioned cookoffs there are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Sad

Also Sarcones Deli closed last week (not their bread bakery)

Two closings on that block of South for restaurants now with Percy Street

I actually liked to go there, not many decent BBQ places in the city
See my comments above. No, there aren't. And I will grant that Percy Street was better than many of the places here that claim to serve Q. It just wasn't all that great, that's all.

I've heard great things about Fette Sau in Fishtown, but haven't tried it yet. It serves its meats by the pound, however, a practice I consider contrary to tradition.

Sarcone's Deli is closing, but you will still be able to get hoagies on Sarcone's bread from the restaurant that will take its place, Angelo's Pizzeria of Haddonfield, which will open a second location in the old Sarcone's space this fall. Phillymag intern Alex Jones has the deets on Foobooz:

Best of Philly Winner to Take Over Sarcone's Deli Space | Foobooz - Philadelphia Magazine

Old 08-11-2017, 01:29 PM

7,731 posts, read 5,463,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2002 Subaru View Post
Eulogy (Belgian pub @Second and Chestnut) and Percy Street BBQ (9th and South) have both folded. I don't know why, but they were both very popular. Never been to Percy Street, but Eulogy had good food (standout frites) and a great beer selection.
Percy Street has water damage and is awaiting insurance money to fix the roof of the old building.

https://billypenn.com/2017/08/11/why...-indefinitely/

Old 08-11-2017, 02:25 PM

5,546 posts, read 6,841,511 times
Sad about Eulogy. Percy Street was weak IMO. Good drink selection, but the BBQ was ok. Why pay for ok?

Eulogy will likely never be replaced. Sucks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia