U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2017, 09:34 AM

1,115 posts, read 1,250,295 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ondoner View Post
I think the OP asked for trails with good views of rolling hills (and some elevation). Most of the trails posted here can be found online, however, there is no information regarding good views from the trails. Otherwise, I'm sure he could have found the trails online using google search.

Most people don't understand what is being asked, just go on to answer with irrelevant information, confusing the OP even more.
Agreed. OP asked for views, and views are hard to come by unless you go a fair distance to the north or northwest.
One place on my list that's an hour or so from Philly (Mt Airy, at least) is https://www.alltrails.com/trail/us/p...nia/high-rocks. One of the comments in the Reviews section specifically mentions good views. Maybe looking at other parks' reviews on this or similar sites would be helpful - see how distant they are and if anyone mentions views.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2017, 09:56 AM

4,268 posts, read 10,676,627 times
Well, there are views of rolling hills in Valley Forge, Wissahickon, ChesLen Preserve, to give three to start within an hour of Philadelphia.

There are higher vista points in Hawk Mountain/Pinnacle, Lehigh Gap, and Delaware Water Gap, in what are considered mountains in PA and what would likely be considered mountains in the Midwest, all over an hour's drive any way you slice it from Philadelphia.

The hiking clubs and blogs I linked to in post #8, contain links to numerous different descriptions of hiking areas.

The nature of land management in Pennsylvania, where hikable land is divided among many different types of public and nonprofit/private ownership types, makes it relatively more difficult here than elsewhere to find information in ordinary web searches.

Many of the trails are maintained by scattered volunteer groups who hide their maps behind paywalls because that's the only way they get any income. Paths even on public lands are often not shown on maps made publicly available by the public land managers.

That also means that the geodata isn't as nicely packaged here to be scraped up by app developers. "Alltrails" is anything but, in this state, as one example.

Another thing to be aware of is that natural surface dirt trails in PA, even in the Wissahickon, are not always smooth dirt characteristic of the Midwest, West, and South. There tend to be many pointy rocks and boulders to trip on, or climb up and over. A fun hashtag or search term expressive of this characteristic is "Rocksylvania".

Old 09-05-2017, 10:35 AM

1,554 posts, read 1,102,889 times
IMHO, because of tree cover and SEPA is mostly low lying hills, I think it's hard to get a good view in the area. There are a lot of trails but no views like you would see in other parts of the country.

One thing that struck me about Hawk Mountain is the number of out of state visitors and including international visitors. Valley Forge is a unique attraction and a lot has been done to maintain it. I think it's one of the best places to ran in the area, the other one is Fairmount park.

Most of the trails mentioned are very local, unless you live in the area, are not worth the trouble to hike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankInPhilly View Post
Agreed. OP asked for views, and views are hard to come by unless you go a fair distance to the north or northwest.
One place on my list that's an hour or so from Philly (Mt Airy, at least) is https://www.alltrails.com/trail/us/p...nia/high-rocks. One of the comments in the Reviews section specifically mentions good views. Maybe looking at other parks' reviews on this or similar sites would be helpful - see how distant they are and if anyone mentions views.

Old 09-05-2017, 11:39 AM

23,769 posts, read 30,851,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midwestguy10 View Post
Hey all! I'm wondering if there's any good hiking areas within an hour of Philadelphia? I won't be there until January (I know, there will be snow and cold weather, but I'm from MN so it will be much warmer in PA!).
Looking for a little elevation gain and good views of rolling hills!

Thank You!
The Pine Barrens in South Jersey would be very picturesque, but also very flat. It would be within an hour. Chatsworth is an unincorporated town in the Pine Barrens, to give a point of focus, as well as Batsto. For rolling hills, you'd want to go west to at least Chester County, or north toward the Poconos.

With a larger window, there are a lot of places that fit what you want, including Harpers Ferry, but it would still be very cold in January. January & February are generally the coldest months in the MidAtlantic. They are the months most likely to have snow, as a result of nor'easters. It's not Minnesota-cold, but it's still cold.

The closer you get to mountains & therefore rolling hills, the colder it will be. Hiking around the Schuylkill & Wissahickon in Philadelphia or going to the Pine Barrens won't give you rolling hill vistas but would certainly be safer in January.

Old 09-05-2017, 12:38 PM

518 posts, read 958,634 times
If you want to avoid the hassle of driving. The Wissahickon trails in NW Philadelphia offer some views when the leaves are gone that time of year. It's not like mountains and views or horizon (not much), but you have the opening of the river valley and you're not above the trees or anything, but it's enjoyable hiking for being in a city limit with views of the river/bridges. Winter is my favorite time to hike there when there is snow on the ground. Delaware water gap might be more what you have in mind.

Pennsylvania, like any east cast states, is littered with dense trees with some farmland gaps.

If you want a nice view of the skyline, the belmont plateau in Fairmount park is an option, but has more paved roads/trails than hiking paths.

Old 09-05-2017, 01:21 PM

22,624 posts, read 8,028,740 times
Quote:
I think the OP asked for trails with good views of rolling hills (and some elevation). Most of the trails posted here can be found online, however, there is no information regarding good views from the trails. Otherwise, I'm sure he could have found the trails online using google search.

Most people don't understand what is being asked, just go on to answer with irrelevant information, confusing the OP even more.

I understood what was being asked. The OP asked for:
* Good hiking trails
* Within an hour of the city
* A bit of elevation gain

Valley Forge will give him what he wanted.

Old 09-05-2017, 01:23 PM

4,268 posts, read 10,676,627 times
Quote:
One thing that struck me about Hawk Mountain is the number of out of state visitors and including international visitors.
For sure, they must have good marketing. There are hundreds of miles of ridgetops in PA where you can watch raptor migration or hike over rivers of rocks without paying their admission fee.

Old 09-05-2017, 01:28 PM

1,115 posts, read 1,250,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ki0eh View Post
For sure, they must have good marketing. There are hundreds of miles of ridgetops in PA where you can watch raptor migration or hike over rivers of rocks without paying their admission fee.
Susquehannock State Park being one of them (about 1hr 45min from NW Philly).

Old 09-05-2017, 04:45 PM

377 posts, read 602,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FamousBlueRaincoat View Post
That's incorrect - there is plenty of public transportation that would get you within a very short walk of the Wissahickon. Including buses 53, 23, H, 9 (and really any of the buses going to Wissahickon Transit Center), and the Chestnut Hill West Line. And those are just the closest ones....
I forgot about that far end of the trail; however I'd not recommend an out of towner wait for a Bus at the unattended Wissahickon Transportation Station, particularly after dark.

Old 09-06-2017, 05:37 AM

1,055 posts, read 4,242,427 times
For good views, you have to drive out a bit.

I love the Hawk Mountain area up in Hamburg. The main trail is maybe 2 miles and there is a great overlook with some side hikes.

Nearby to that is Pinnacle, which I think is part of the AT. It's 8-9 mills and def has some elevation gain.

I really like the Glenn Onoko trail in Jim Thorpe...you hike to three different waterfalls (no mountain/hills view). You def don't want to go of its icy.

If you want, you could go to Delaware Water Gap....there's lots of hikes, with My Tammany and Kitanny being two of the most popular

There s a good blog called Gone hiking that can give you lots of ideas for local hikes and trail info.

Happy hiking!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia