Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-05-2017, 06:48 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,756,430 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mslhu View Post
Lol, defeatist Philadelphians will never change. On the bright side, we apparently have the best sources in the biz!
The posts wrt Texas are probably close to reality. Scores of municipalities have likely been scammed by this HQ 2 "search".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2017, 07:01 AM

5,546 posts, read 6,874,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Politicians are getting the same pay whether they prepare the bid or not.
Yeah.....but wouldn't you rather they spend their highly paid time on issues with schools than a hail mary faux-RFP process? And that doesn't speak for the amount of work completed by consultants, hourly employees, T&E, etc. Again, I'm not saying it's all bad, but it is not free.

Old 10-05-2017, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
The posts wrt Texas are probably close to reality. Scores of municipalities have likely been scammed by this HQ 2 "search".
Agree completely. This whole thing has a cloud of BS around it. Bezos and Amazon will never admit it, but I hope someone digs and forces out the truth...if it is the truth. I would boycott Amazon if I found out they lied and I think a lot of others would too.

Old 10-05-2017, 07:19 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,756,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJNEOA View Post
Agree completely. This whole thing has a cloud of BS around it. Bezos and Amazon will never admit it, but I hope someone digs and forces out the truth...if it is the truth. I would boycott Amazon if I found out they lied and I think a lot of others would too.
If this is so, it will be so so disappointing. Sigh.

I suppose you all know that Amazon is going to start ditching the USPS and FedEx for deliveries.

Old 10-05-2017, 08:31 AM

1,697 posts, read 971,420 times
Quote:
I would, if it weren't so damn awesome.

Old 10-05-2017, 09:07 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,684,299 times
Quote:
Yeah.....but wouldn't you rather they spend their highly paid time on issues with schools than a hail mary faux-RFP process? And that doesn't speak for the amount of work completed by consultants, hourly employees, T&E, etc. Again, I'm not saying it's all bad, but it is not free.
I said that it's free advertising, not free prep work. There's a difference. Almost every time that the HQ2 topic comes up, Philadelphia is mentioned. That's free advertising.

If Philadelphia got this, it would bring in enough money, annually, to drop the wage tax, somewhat, & give them more money for the schools. That's worth the effort.

If they don't get it, they have done the prep work. If another company shows up, they can put a sales presentation togethet quickly. The prep work is done.

Philadelphia has been trying to deal with schools for decades. It all goes back to money. Do something about getting more money, & the city has more options to fix long-standing problems.

Old 10-05-2017, 09:13 AM

6,203 posts, read 3,546,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redddog View Post
I would, if it weren't so damn awesome.
I boycotted after the NYT expose. Also have a friend who worked there (on the vp level) who confirmed that story. It would be truly awesome for philly to get the bid but Bezos is akin to Voldemort.

Old 10-05-2017, 12:27 PM

333 posts, read 282,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannah5555 View Post
I boycotted after the NYT expose. Also have a friend who worked there (on the vp level) who confirmed that story. It would be truly awesome for philly to get the bid but Bezos is akin to Voldemort.
Yeah, that NYT story was horrific. As cool as it would be to see Philly win one like this, I can't help but think we're better off without Amazon.

Old 10-05-2017, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
I said that it's free advertising, not free prep work. There's a difference. Almost every time that the HQ2 topic comes up, Philadelphia is mentioned. That's free advertising.

If Philadelphia got this, it would bring in enough money, annually, to drop the wage tax, somewhat, & give them more money for the schools. That's worth the effort.

If they don't get it, they have done the prep work. If another company shows up, they can put a sales presentation togethet quickly. The prep work is done.

Philadelphia has been trying to deal with schools for decades. It all goes back to money. Do something about getting more money, & the city has more options to fix long-standing problems.
It may be free air time, but the mayor and his staff including others, is not exactly a cheap marketing team for preparing materials. That offsets the free air we're getting.

I'm not debating that there's value in bringing Amazon here btw. My issue is that if Bezos is jerking everyone around, which is a very real possibility, I'm not thrilled with the time and money dedicated to responding to a pretend RFP. That does -7 for all of our other issues. And advertising may help bring some business in, but I'm thinking we would have brought more business in by focusing on modernizing our business tax structure from the get-go.

Who knows, maybe Tom Lennox and his tight underpants is right; a big loss like this will make our leaders realize why Philadelphia should change its strategy to attracting business. But that's only if we can keep Kenney away from the bar.

Old 10-05-2017, 01:19 PM

1,213 posts, read 955,181 times
Quote:
It may be free air time, but the mayor and his staff including others, is not exactly a cheap marketing team for preparing materials. That offsets the free air we're getting.

I'm not debating that there's value in bringing Amazon here btw. My issue is that if Bezos is jerking everyone around, which is a very real possibility, I'm not thrilled with the time and money dedicated to responding to a pretend RFP. That does -7 for all of our other issues. And advertising may help bring some business in, but I'm thinking we would have brought more business in by focusing on modernizing our business tax structure from the get-go.

Who knows, maybe Tom Lennox and his tight underpants is right; a big loss like this will make our leaders realize why Philadelphia should change its strategy to attracting business. But that's only if we can keep Kenney away from the bar.
You're acting as if our city government officials would be spending their time on more productive matters. Unfortunately they are all salaried rather than paid by the hour, and as they literally do nothing but hijack any progress in our city, we might as well have them create a slick marketing pitch. Better than halting development, running kick-back and pay-for-play schemes, and taking trips on the taxpayer dime.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia