Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2017, 07:44 AM

7,528 posts, read 10,250,389 times

Advertisements

I thought this topic might generate enough interest that it deserves its own thread. Philly is a logical site for Amazon to choose. It is centered squarely within BosWash, with more than 52 million people within easy reach in a matter of hours. This includes the nation's largest city and its capital less than three hours by train. It's by far the most affordable of the cities in such an important and prestigious region.

I would think for a second hub, Amazon would rather be located east for geographic balance, which rules out Texas and Chicago. Atlanta and more remotely, Charlotte, would be Philly's competition. Which brings me back to advantages BosWash has over those two locations.

I've lifted the 3Amazon-related posts in the Philly 2035 thread to start focusing Amazon discussion here:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mslhu View Post
Can't believe this isn't being talked about here. This would be a game changer and Philly is so perfectly matched up with Amazon's stated desires, it truly amazes me. Would love to see them build up Schuylkill Yards but I'd be happy with the Navy Yard too.

Of course, the pessimist in me says that we'll be skipped over for Atlanta or some other Southern city.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BK_PHL_DEL View Post
Amazon has a huge warehouse by me work here in New Castle, DE, so there is at least a presence in the area.

Philly as an HQ would be so good for the city. I wouldn't want it at the Navy Yard since there is no viable public transit to it and it is already choked up with car commuters on 95. Agreed that S. Yards would work great, also maybe somewhere along the waterfront might work nicely.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
I think Philadelphia would be an ideal location, the only negative is the unfriendly business environment, but I'm sure city leaders in all the interested cities will bend over for Amazon.

Pennsylvania desperately needs an economic boost, so Pittsburgh or Philadelphia are my choices.
So . . . Are we in this thing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2017, 08:06 AM

8,700 posts, read 14,686,635 times
I think it's a high possibility. It's a no brainer for Amazon to be located in a place like Schuylkill Yards/University City, right next to 30th Street Station. It's up to our government and business leaders to show them the possibilities, the connectivity, etc.

Old 09-08-2017, 08:33 AM

1,782 posts, read 1,551,299 times
Amazon have been very specific in what they are looking for and it requires for the city to put together a good incentive package.

Amazon is asking for
  • tax credits/exemptions
  • relocation grants
  • workforce grants
  • utility incentives
  • permitting
  • fee reductions

It will all boil down to the city that gives them the best package.

Old 09-08-2017, 08:38 AM

7,528 posts, read 10,250,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RightonWalnut View Post
I think it's a high possibility. It's a no brainer for Amazon to be located in a place like Schuylkill Yards/University City, right next to 30th Street Station. It's up to our government and business leaders to show them the possibilities, the connectivity, etc.
I feel the same that Philly seems a no brainer. It's so perfectly located and it is, as we know, one of a small handful of cities where someone can live reasonably live without a car. Boston has the leg up when it comes to being a current tech hub, but its so damned expensive. It's also at the far reaches of BosWash.

While Schuylkill Yeards would be the more urban location, I would think the Navy Yard would be the more affordable and site-ready location. I would also think the city would be more than willing to extend the BSL just a little bit further to land this plum of an opportunity.

Old 09-08-2017, 08:49 AM

273 posts, read 206,773 times
One thing noted in this Philly BizJournal article (paywall) https://www.bizjournals.com/philadel...758&j=78795041 is that "Amazon prefers regional responses to its RFP rather than individual states." And further on it states: "If there is one other thing that Philadelphia has going for it is experience in making a regional pitch. Matt Cabrey serves as executive director of Select Greater Philadelphia Council, which is an 11-county, tri-state regional marketing organization that looks to attract and retain companies. Though Pennsylvania, New Jersey and Delaware still compete individually for companies and jobs, the idea that Amazon is seeking a regional response is right in Select’s wheelhouse."

Really, all the pieces are in place here. The proximity to the eds and meds sector, all of the mass transit needs with S. Yards literally next to the third busiest Amtrak station in the country that is itself undergoing significant change, the easy access to New York and D.C. with much less expensive real estate and lower cost of living, a shorter trip to Europe than from the West Coast or the Midwest, an emerging science and tech scene, a huge influx of millennials in recent years, all of the cultural attributes...my God, I will be shocked and disappointed if we don't at least make the short list.

Old 09-08-2017, 08:50 AM

9,377 posts, read 9,319,932 times
When is Amazon expected to make their decision?

Is there enough space in Center City to build more towers? Potentially the huge hole at 8th and Market (wherever it is), or the general Market East area? U City and Center City would be much more logical due to Septa and Amtrak. The only advantage the Navy Yard has is the airport.

I don't know much about Amazon, do they prefer a large suburban campus or a dense skyscraper city.

Old 09-08-2017, 08:52 AM

1,697 posts, read 969,207 times
It's about the cash. Whoever gives them the most, gets the deal.

We qualify, based on their stated requirements. Whether or not the city/state ponies up is what will determine the outcome.

Old 09-08-2017, 09:00 AM

70 posts, read 59,481 times
How do we get around the other issues like our declining schools, wage tax, decline in mass transit(don't kid yourself septa is getting worse), etc? The pool for tech talent that will actually stay with Amazon if they locate here given the problems of the city is also another concern(seems like kids are a big reason people flee). I'm all for it because we need it. However, I have seen too much focus on hype and heavy promotion. There needs to be more talk about fixing/improving first. There probably is a reason Microsoft's Technology Center is in Malvern and not within Philly. That center has been there for over 2 decades. Keep in mind that both Amazon and Microsoft are considered among the so-called "Big Four" in IT.
The city better have some answers to its challenges AND perks for Amazon. =)

Old 09-08-2017, 09:01 AM

273 posts, read 206,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
When is Amazon expected to make their decision?

Is there enough space in Center City to build more towers? Potentially the huge hole at 8th and Market (wherever it is), or the general Market East area? U City and Center City would be much more logical due to Septa and Amtrak. The only advantage the Navy Yard has is the airport.

I don't know much about Amazon, do they prefer a large suburban campus or a dense skyscraper city.
The decision is to be made in 2018. They're ready to move on this thing.

They are seeking an equivalent to their Seattle campus, which is something like 33 buildings and more than 8 million square feet, and the capacity to house up to 50,000 employees. 8th and Market won't cut it. They'll need the space provided by either the Navy Yard or Schuylkill Yards. I prefer the latter. Schuylkill Yards - Where Ideas Converge

Old 09-08-2017, 09:04 AM

8,700 posts, read 14,686,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shazzy1228 View Post
How do we get around the other issues like our declining schools, wage tax, decline in mass transit(don't kid yourself septa is getting worse), etc? The pool for tech talent that will actually stay with Amazon if they locate here given the problems of the city is also another concern(seems like kids are a big reason people flee). I'm all for it because we need it. However, I have seen too much focus on hype and heavy promotion. There needs to be more talk about fixing/improving first. There probably is a reason Microsoft's Technology Center is in Malvern and not within Philly. That center has been there for over 2 decades. Keep in mind that both Amazon and Microsoft are considered among the so-called "Big Four" in IT.
The city better have some answers to its challenges AND perks for Amazon. =)
Attract jobs/employers who pay well, and those other issues will figure themselves out. Philadelphia has been doing this from an ass-backwards approach for decades...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia