U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-11-2017, 11:49 AM

3 posts, read 3,136 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,

My family and I currently live in Newtown, PA. We just had our first child and plan on having more. We are in a 2BR right now and will be needing more space within the next year.

We were looking at Gilbertsville since the houses are much more affordable.

Just looking for some insight on the area. How is the area to raise a family? Schools? Crime? What stores are near the area?

Any insight would be helpful.

Thank you!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2017, 10:57 AM

bump

Old 09-19-2017, 02:29 PM

2,247 posts, read 2,196,593 times
Looks like it's next to Boyertown, which seems to be a nice area and at least a decent school district. As long as where you are is not in Pottstown, which I've heard mixed things about, but more toward the negative side.

Old 09-19-2017, 02:33 PM

1,036 posts, read 619,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chessimprov View Post
Looks like it's next to Boyertown, which seems to be a nice area and at least a decent school district. As long as where you are is not in Pottstown, which I've heard mixed things about, but more toward the negative side.
Correct. Pottstown has all of the appeal of Chester.

Boyertown is fine.

Old 09-19-2017, 08:18 PM

151 posts, read 174,130 times
I know two families that live in newer developments in Gilbertsville (partially due to cheaper real estate) and they love it. Gilbertsville (possibly not the entire town) is part of the Boyertown School District, which both families praise.

Old 09-20-2017, 07:11 AM

333 posts, read 239,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewtownBucks View Post
Correct. Pottstown has all of the appeal of Chester.
Come on. Pottstown may have its issues, but it's not anywhere close to being the bombed-out hellhole that is Chester.

Old 09-20-2017, 08:13 AM

32,814 posts, read 16,256,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireshaker View Post
Come on. Pottstown may have its issues, but it's not anywhere close to being the bombed-out hellhole that is Chester.

I keep my plane at Pottstown Muni Airport, so I get up there often. Yes, it is NOTHING like Chester. Nothing. Gilbertsville is a bit slower paced, if you like that, somewhat in the country, and out of the way of many things. Nothing wrong with he area, but pretty much out of the metro.

Old 09-20-2017, 08:33 AM

6,533 posts, read 9,496,094 times
I think everyone's summed it up pretty well. Gilbertsville is in a quieter and more sedate area and definitely feels like its on the edge of the Philly area.

It took part in the early 2000's housing boom, and that's picked up a bit again, but nothing like 15 years ago. It does offer good schools and solid housing choices for your money, and most shopping can be found in the Pottstown, Boyertown and Limerick areas, but Phoenixville, Collegeville and even King of Prussia are all within 20-25 minutes for infinite and higher-end options.

And yes, Pottstown isn't exactly pristine, but it actually has some really interesting history, mostly solid neighborhoods and a downtown that's probably the most underrated in the Philly area with tons of potential. I'm pulling it for it myself as a native to that portion of Montgomery County.

Old 09-22-2017, 05:31 PM

8 posts, read 7,803 times
I've lived in Gilbertsville for 5+ years and I made a mistake moving here. We are seniors with family in Bucks County and loved the lower taxes and beautiful, large home. Unfortunately, this place is crawling with children and younger working couples. We have been searching for another home nearer Philly or at least with decent access to Septa.
There is no culture here. The schools, I've heard, are decent. But this is nothing but a bedroom community. Shopping for groceries and drug store stuff is abundant. King of Prussia is about 30 minutes away. But Whole Foods is a bit of a shlep.
I haven't heard of any crime at all.

Old 10-05-2017, 03:12 PM

Thank you all for the insight! We visited the area this past weekend and really like it. A lot of young families with young kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia