Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2017, 10:54 PM

14,177 posts, read 9,068,877 times

Advertisements

Garages and new construction?

<shrug>

Besides, so much of the new construction looks (alike | uninspired).

I prefer trees myself. That means Rittenhouse, or Wash West, or Society Hill (but it's TOO quiet).

However, as an acquaintance of mine noted recently, I've fallen in love with Germantown.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2017, 07:11 AM

2,130 posts, read 1,457,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post

However, as an acquaintance of mine noted recently, I've fallen in love with Germantown.
Funny you would say that ... My new neighbors from Delaware County were just telling me how they fell in love with Bridesburg after visiting friends here. It didn't hurt that it's also an easier commute to his job in Bucks.

Old 09-16-2017, 09:56 AM

14,177 posts, read 9,068,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2002 Subaru View Post
Funny you would say that ... My new neighbors from Delaware County were just telling me how they fell in love with Bridesburg after visiting friends here. It didn't hurt that it's also an easier commute to his job in Bucks.
I described Bridesburg to a broker-developer the other day as "a flat Marblehead."

I found that mostly blue-collar North Shore suburb of Boston rather charming. It too sticks out into water (Massachusetts Bay; it has a few small beaches as a result), and it too is difficult to get into and out of (only one state highway into it, and one other road leading in and out of it).

Yes, I have seen Bridesburg, and can totally understand its appeal. Its walkability is below Germantown's because most of the everyday amenities you need lie outside it, but if you don't value that attribute highly, it has a lot to offer.

Old 09-16-2017, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
I described Bridesburg to a broker-developer the other day as "a flat Marblehead."

I found that mostly blue-collar North Shore suburb of Boston rather charming. It too sticks out into water (Massachusetts Bay; it has a few small beaches as a result), and it too is difficult to get into and out of (only one state highway into it, and one other road leading in and out of it).

Yes, I have seen Bridesburg, and can totally understand its appeal. Its walkability is below Germantown's because most of the everyday amenities you need lie outside it, but if you don't value that attribute highly, it has a lot to offer.
The thing that's hurting Bridesburg are the three school bus depots (two on our waterfront), Frankford Valley (west of us) becoming a ghetto and the Amazon warehouse on Richmond Street. There's more traffic and non-residents (along with the crime they bring) coming through here than ever before and I'm not loving it. BUT, if we can get/keep our property values at half of Fishtown's, we probably won't become Wissinoming.

A lot of the locals are starting to cash out ... Our bills are so low, it wouldn't make sense for us to leave. If the taxes weren't so high, we'd be in Palmyra or Maple Shade. I'm stuck here for at least 16 more years before we can go down the shore or somewhere on the river. I really don't want to be too far from Philly, but, of course, that could change.

Yeah, regarding walkability: I've always said it's a car neighborhood.

Last edited by 2002 Subaru; 09-16-2017 at 11:43 AM..

Old 09-16-2017, 11:57 AM

7,019 posts, read 3,749,190 times
Chestnut Hill or Society Hill are my top two areas of this city.

Old 09-16-2017, 12:36 PM

10,787 posts, read 8,758,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2002 Subaru View Post
The thing that's hurting Bridesburg are the three school bus depots (two on our waterfront), Frankford Valley (west of us) becoming a ghetto and the Amazon warehouse on Richmond Street. There's more traffic and non-residents (along with the crime they bring) coming through here than ever before and I'm not loving it. BUT, if we can get/keep our property values at half of Fishtown's, we probably won't become Wissinoming.

A lot of the locals are starting to cash out ... Our bills are so low, it wouldn't make sense for us to leave. If the taxes weren't so high, we'd be in Palmyra or Maple Shade. I'm stuck here for at least 16 more years before we can go down the shore or somewhere on the river. I really don't want to be too far from Philly, but, of course, that could change.

Yeah, regarding walkability: I've always said it's a car neighborhood.
"Cash out" caught my eye. Like what? If they're not getting at least 250 grand they're not being sensible.

The Amazon warehouse? Be happy they put it there. And traffic means it's not stagnant. But let's make sure no outsiders show up(?) So if I show up in Bridesburg right now, with my tan-brown face, people will people suspect me of something bad? lol. Change is inevitable.

I'm sure that if Amazon surprises a lot of people by picking Philly for HQ2 it could impact the entire city even your enclave.

Old 09-16-2017, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post

The Amazon warehouse? Be happy they put it there. And traffic means it's not stagnant. But let's make sure no outsiders show up(?) So if I show up in Bridesburg right now, with my tan-brown face, people will people suspect me of something bad? lol. Change is inevitable.
Who said anything about 'outsiders?' And, yeah, that kind of 'change' isn't good for a neighborhood like this ... I'll trust my own two eyes and history.

Last edited by 2002 Subaru; 09-16-2017 at 02:38 PM..

Old 09-16-2017, 02:33 PM

Quote:
"Cash out" caught my eye. Like what? If they're not getting at least 250 grand they're not being sensible.
People can pocket 100k+ and use it to buy in a nicer area or a more desirable property. Yeah, they'll still have a mortgage, but you can't put a price on comfort and happiness ... A lot of people have their houses paid off and can walk away with even more ...

Old 09-16-2017, 02:35 PM

Quote:

I'm sure that if Amazon surprises a lot of people by picking Philly for HQ2 it could impact the entire city even your enclave.
They've already made a negative impact on my neighborhood. You're saying it can get even worse? Grrrreat ...

Old 09-16-2017, 02:39 PM

Quote:

The Amazon warehouse? Be happy they put it there. And traffic means it's not stagnant.
Yeah, because traffic is always a good selling point. Did I mention how much litter and noise the Amazon employees are contributing to the neighborhood? Not to mention the parking spots they're taking up ... Plus, there's already been at least two violent crimes involving said employees. I wish I could leave yesterday. There are no positives to Amazon being here.

Last edited by 2002 Subaru; 09-16-2017 at 03:02 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia